Japan's October Vacation: vs Tunisia (10/8), vs Romania (10/11)

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by skipshady, Sep 25, 2003.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Projected Japanese lineup:

------------Narazaki
    Kaji--Nakazawa--Moniwa--Miura

-----Inamoto-----Ono--------
    --Nakamura-------Nakata---

---Yanagisawa---Suzuki----

The match starts at 4:30 am in Japan, 3:30 pm US Eastern Time. Anyone in Japan want to do play-by-play?

2. Nakata10

Nakata10 New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Planet FIFA
    1-0 Japan. Yanagisawa scored in the 1st half. I heard that Tunisia TV or some sort had a live streaming.

Next up Romania.

3. peeks

peeks New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    BS in USA
    The results of Tunisia after the World Cup

1-1 France(H)
    1-1 Portugal(A)
    0-0 Egypt(H)
    1-0 Sweden(H)
    2-2 Ghana(H)
    1-0 Cameroon(H)
    1-0 Senegal(H)
    0-0 Guinea(H)
    3-2 Cote d'Ivoire(H)

4. saman

saman New Member

Oct 8, 2003
    Fr
    He watched the game on IN. The referee helped Tunisia repeatedly, however they lost. Although Japan had few chances, Tunisia did not have a chance. Nakata, Inamoto, Ono, and Nakamura were not good.

5. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    i didn't know they tied with france and beat sweden, cameroon, and senegal. i know they can at least tie with weak portugal

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: The results of Tunisia after the World Cup

That's a pretty good record. So this is their first loss since the World Cup?

- Yanagisawa scores his first goal for Japan since the Italy match at the end of 2001.
    - The makeshift defense of Kaji, Nakazawa, Moniwa and A. Miura did well, it seems. According to Sportsnavi, Japan struggled against Tunisia's press, which was the problem against Senegal also. They only created one real chance, one that Yanagisawa converted.

[​IMG]

7. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Re: Re: The results of Tunisia after the World Cup

Completely untrue! (but then, thatll teach you to trust anything Sportsnavi says).

The biggest problem for Japan was the offsides trap, and the fact that even when they beat the offsides trap, the linesman would raise his flag anyway (it happened three times where the replay clearly showed onside).

Also there were at LEAST two other very good chances apart from Yanagisawa's goal. In one, Kaji beat the offsides trap on the win, and raced past all the defenders, but he tried to be too fancy and fake the goalkeeper out. By the time he made his shot, a defender was back in time to clear it off the line (though just barely). Also on a corner kick from Nakamura, Nakazawa headed just an inch over the bar.

According to Opta, Japan had seven shots on net (eight shots total), so I cant see how you can claim there was only one "real chance". Any shot on net is a chance, and some of those were very good chances.

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: The results of Tunisia after the World Cup

I don't see how the Tunisian media could play that big of a role in an international soccer game ;)

9. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: Re: Re: The results of Tunisia after the World Cup

Actually, I misread the the report on Sportsnavi, their credibility notwithstanding. It would be pretty hard for them to miss a 1 vs 1 with the keeper.

I guess the positive is that Japan got a win on the road despite the midfield not being able to function at 100%, and Yanagisawa put away an opportunity when it came. Hopefully, we won't have to wait another 2 years for another goal.

10. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Anyone know where I can order that away jersey?

11. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    I thought the gray was nice.

It was different from all the other boring all-white tops and it gave a more dynamic look.

Plus, it didn't look too gray from far away and since the gray wasn't too dark, it seemed like another shade of white.

Having said that, I'd have to say the gray socks really do suck. And the flags on the socks? please.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    You'd want a beige uni? I was under the impression that earth tones were for business wear and Al Gore, not jerseys.

What's next - Korea going to a taupe shirt? They say taupe is very soothing.

13. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Maybe it's the lighting but I think the beige looks awful.

Anyway, Romania's up next. Suzuki injured his ankle, but that's fine since Takahara should be back in the starting 11. It'll be interesting to see what Zico does with the back four since Yamada, Tsuboi and the swinging gate that is Alex will be available. My guess is that Nakazawa will parner Tsuboi in the middle?

14. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    go go japan go go japan

mighty japan fight fight!!

15. SHURARARA

SHURARARA New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rumania was lucky.
    Probably, they had lost at the home, if Kawaguchi did not make a mistake and Rumania'GK did not have a good condition.

16. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    so does that mean Japan lost?

17. SHURARARA

SHURARARA New Member

May 9, 2002
    sorry

Rumania 1-1 Japan

18. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    fujita was called for 10 minutes and hiroyama and endo was for warming up the bench. tsuboi, alex, and yamada were really necessary in this game? i believe we need to fix zico first to make a better team. if zico is already unfixable, we need to return it to the store. do we have 3-year performance service plan on zico?

go go yanagi

19. SHURARARA

SHURARARA New Member

May 9, 2002
    Alex Tsuboi Yamada were not good.
    Since they arrived in Rumania yesterday, I think that they were jet lags.
    Nakazawa was very good.

Miura/Matsuda/Nakazawa/Yamada
    I think that these four are Bests DF.

20. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Yeah, what's happened to him? Two games in a row!

21. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Romania are a good team. Seems like a fair result. BTW, it seems like this version of Japan NT plays better away from home. That bodes well for the WC.

22. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    So what, if anything, does this trip do for Zico's job security?

23. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    He's still the coach through at least Asia Cup 2004.

24. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Considering the part of the reason for Zico's hiring was his relationship with the media and JFA "Captain" Kawabuchi is all about attention from the sports papers, I would guess that if the media turns on him, then he's gone.
    Right now, positive friendly results, regardless of the actual play, are keeping him afloat. But if the team hits a rough patch, then his job might be in danger. The media gets excited about beating Nigeria's C-team or drawing with Romania but there is already a huge anti-Zico movement in the internet and it won't be long before the media catches on. But that's just my guess.

Another topic - regarding Zico's selection of Alex at left back, I wonder if it has anything to do with qualifying for UK work permit. If you remember, he was all but signed, sealed and delivered to Charlton last year until the UK Labour Ministry didn't issue a visa since he hadn't played in 75% of national team matches over 2 years. As of now, I believe he has played in 80%.
    Now, there are rumors linking Alex to Leeds. Could it be that Zico played Alex at LB just so he could play in every match? And as soon as he signs with an English club, he'll get someone else to play there? Just a theory.

25. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Man, I need to get a writing gig in Japan. We media types don't have near that power over here. :p

As for Alex, that sounds a little underhanded, but stranger things have happened. It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea for Zico to look for someone to be a middle ground at LB between Koji Nakata's defense and Alex's offense.

If I were Big Al, though, I might see if Charlton were still interested. Now doesn't seem like the greatest time to be a Leeds player....