Japanese NT Not going to Copa América 2011

Discussion in 'Japan' started by hbone373, Jan 24, 2011.

1. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: Japanese NT @ Copa América 2011 [R]

hmph......sh!t.

July just got less exciting all of a sudden.

2. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Yes. My summer was saved but no.

3. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

I'm sure you know more than me but I thought there were more than 4 players who were denied participation. I'm sure JFA and J. League could have called up a squad but they would have been made up of college kids and reserves. The only way this would have worked was for at least 2-4 more clubs to come out and say they will release their players like Gamba. I understand the importance of "face" but if only one of 18 clubs does this, it becomes an exception and no one will lose face. The ones who needs to take responsibility the most are the people who promised JFA that they will get the abroad players released. JFA made it clear the first time we pulled out that we were going to struggle to have a squad if we do not get at least 15 abroad players.

This is my opinion, and its only that, but the last thing I wanted to see was for European clubs to release their players because they felt sorry for us and wanted to give us a lift.

4. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

How about this: each J-League club gives the ONE player that Zaccheroni picks, without bitching--because they're picked by the manager paid to put together the best team possible to REPRESENT JAPAN.

Plus, those European players free, or released by clubs.

I'd like to add a couple of points to put things more in perspective:

1 - Sure, we were playing Argentina, who would have been tough anyway; but the other two games were Colombia and Bolivia, not Spain and Holland... With all due respect...

2 - This could have been anyway a unique chance anyway for 7-8 of those who will go to Brazil 2014 to travel and play in South America--definitely a huge plus.

... I mean, Honda, Endo, Matsui, Kawashima, Miyaichi, Ienaga... C'mon, it is not that we could not put together a team, we have more than 22 player who could take on Colombia and Bolivia... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

They should have released the players because they were called to play for their country in a prestigious tournament, period.

6. Kigai

Kigai Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

It is unfortunate and disappointing but clubs really don't care about international play and rightfully so. There really is no benefit to a club in bundesliga on what Japan does in international play. Only the disadvantage of having your player get injured.

Also, when bundesliga clubs signed our players, they did not sign them up expecting them to play in Copa America, only the Asian cup.

The world of football today revolves around clubs, not national teams.

7. puri

puri Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

im sorry, even though i wanted you guys to participate at full strength. the reaction of the european clubs is fully understandable. they released their players at the last world cup and then came the Asian cup ... where they didnt have a choice.
    and now u want them again ? - for the clubs the league is where they earn their money ...the managers and choaches jobs depends on the teams and each players performance ...
    dont get me wrong im a big fan of japanese footbal especially since kagawa showed up and just owned the bundesliga, but u have to understand both sides

8. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I agree with your first statement, but Japan was invited in 2009 so they DID KNOW that there was a chance that the European players were going to be released.

I don't remember when exactly Japan was invited, but UEFA was appealing the decision back in 2009 so the European clubs had the knowledge way back.

9. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Clubs have no practical advantages in releasing players to the national teams...?

Do you think that CSKA, for example, got any ***SLIGHTLY*** positive return from releasing Honda for the World Cup...?

Perhaps his value ***SLIGHTLY*** increased...? :cool:

With the exception of the World Cup and the Euro Cup, I don't think there is a tournament with more media and scouts than the Copa.

10. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

That's true, but it really depends on which players you're talking about.

If a club is actively looking to sell, then potential to increase the transfer value versus the risk of the player getting injured might not put them off.

On the other hand, if the club feels that the player is too important for the club to risk the possibility of him being injured then its quite reasonable to not want to release him.

I think that clubs like BVB and Schalke feel that they don't have adequate replacements for Kagawa and Uchida so they'd rather not risk it.

Anyways I think that its almost a testament to how important Japanese players are to their teams that the clubs don't nonchalantly let them play in international tournaments.

Frankly I'd be quite worried if BVB let Kagawa go without a fight. It would mean that they didn't give a shit if he got injured or not and that he was not part of their immediate plans.

11. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  12. Harima83

Harima83 Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm disappointed.
    It's JFA fault.
    I don't believe that euro clubs don't want release their players. Why they should release south american players and not the japanese ones? It dosn't makes any sense.

13. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Because this is South America's tournament not an AFC tournament so European clubs aren't obliged to release their players.

They had to release them for the Asian Cup because it was an AFC tournament.

14. dantasu

dantasu Member

Portuguesa Santista
    Brazil
    Dec 8, 2009
    Santos
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

No is not JFA fault.
    is fault of both euro and japanese clubs.

Cheers.