Japanese NT @ FIFA World Cup 2010 [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Samurai Warrior, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: Japan at the 2010 World Cup

He's not having a great game, missed a couple of ball controls like a beginner, he seems very emotional today -- understandably. Overall, a good display of ultradefensive soccer for DPKR. Many of these players would do good in J.League.

2. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

Damn, they are doing pretty good. But then again Brazils not the looking all that grand.

3. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

LOL, looks like one N Korean player looking selfish, should of at least past it to a team mate, where they could of had a chance to score.

4. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Yojimbo opened a thread for non-Japan WC. Please continue discussion there!

5. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  6. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Especially if we manage a tie: with that combination we'd basically be qualified already... :eek:

7. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

It is possible! But then, Japan is taking on the Dutch. The 4th ranked team in the world.

It is going to be hugely difficult for Japan to get a result. But hey. The North Koreans beat the Italians in 66. And the Swiss just did for the Spanish. Anything can happen!

8. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

And the dutch weren't all too impressive against denmark. They kinda played less like the dutch of ol' and more like germany in a way. funnily enough Germany tore through Australia in a dutch way.

I think the netherlands have changed style a little. Fact is, is that only 4 of the 8 top seeds got wins on matchday 1. Also Robben, VDV probably won't play Japan, neither will Elia which is good.

9. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You definitly have a quality chance of points.

10. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

i have no idea if you're being sarcastic or not. None of us here EXPECT a draw, however we do believe a draw or even possibly a win is within Japan's reach if they play well.

11. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

But see, teams tend to play slow in the first game, just to get a win under their belt.

12. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD

Thay haven't changed style: it's height. For Denmark too. And why wouldn't Elia or van der Vaart? Any reasons? They don't want to crush Japan? I honestly don't think so. As they adjust to this games almost 2000 meters above sea level they will play better and better. I'm not shure but they didn't train at this height before they arrived in SA. And another thing they need is impressive win after weak first game and ensure qualification for the round of 16. So I wouldn't look at their last match. Only chance for Japan is to kill football and play something like Switzerland against this kind of opponent. Crucial game will be one against Denmark as we all know.

13. mushu21

mushu21 Member

May 18, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Holland's forwards and wingers are top class, no doubt about it. The point is Japan's capable of scoring goals too.
    Did Switzerland go ultra defence against Spain? Yes, but they managed to score a goal and hit the post once. And clearly it was not luck. It was a strategy which was well plan.

Japan must find a way to score. A goaless draw in 90' with only defence will make Tulio, Nakazawa and Kawashima look like the best in this WC, they clearly don't.

14. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No joke, you have a quality chance, I am a fan of Japan. Not my first team but my fav in the AFC.

15. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

The only way Japan is going to win this is to keep it tight. One thing the Japanese can do is a tight passing game. No way they will beat the Dutch in the air (statistically, Holland has the tallest people in the world!), and trying long passes will give an agile Dutch team plenty of chances at interceptions.

However, one of Japans strengths is quick, tight passes. Japan has to move the ball rapidly. A draw will be a good result. 0-0 is fine! That would almost see Japan through, and a result against the Danes would seal it, and is a far easier prospect than against the Dutch.

16. mushu21

mushu21 Member

May 18, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Talking about long ball, I think it's one of the reason why Okada used Honda as the only forward. In Cameroon match, Honda won countless ball in situation when Kawashima kicked the ball hard. Kawashima always kicked it to the right side of Japan, where Ekotto was, and Honda dominated him with his strengh and trapping skill (sometime Honda just stood still and trapped the ball with his chest, Ekotto could'nt reach it even try jumping). Some people criticized Honda to be slow and selfish, but I find it strangely effective as Honda could keep the ball very well with 3 Cameroon surround him.
    With Honda up front Japan can keep the ball well even with long ball, Okazaki (small) and Morimoto (lack of skill compared to Honda) can't do it. Honda played like a post player for me.
    The point is Japan need some more players to help Honda and finish it when Honda releases the ball. At this time I think they could be Kengo and Matsui, or Okazaki if Okada has some guts to play 442. Okubo ? well he can go around and kick some Dutch asses.

17. TheR9

TheR9 New Member

Apr 16, 2009

One thing I like about Okubo is that he's not afraid to go against any teams. He's not afraid of playing against big star players.

18. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006

Fighting spirit has never been a problem for Okubo.
    We all wish Japan had 11 guys with his fire.
    And we wish he had the technical and tactical ability of any of at least 11 other Japanese strikers in the J-League.

19. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I'd be happy with one who had the creative flair to grab a game and shake it around a bit!

Honda may be able to fulfill that role one day...

20. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

Japan 5-0 random 2nd division South African Club

Okazaki x 2, Tamada x 2, Iwamasa

OneiroPhobia repped this.
  21. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Now Okada thinks Okazaki will be the hero even more :p

22. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Of course Okazaki and Tamada are the classic players who are fantastic against crappy/mid-level opponents, and tend to disappear when the big guys show up.

We do not really need those kind of players at the WC, I am afraid, Morimoto, a guy who played against Italian defenders for years would be more appropriate, of course.

But we've seen already what are Okada's thoughts about it...

I just hope that the next coach can improve the team, but also keep the spirit we've seen in these days. That is a HUGE problem with Japanese players and you see it at any level. It is hard for them to be motivated. That is one thing I believe Troussier was good at, while Zico was not.

23. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

Random: Tulio has a thing for Strawberries.

24. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

not sure if this will make you all feel better, but it turns out:
    japan have never failed to score in the 3rd group stage game of a FIFA World Cup.

The temperature at Royal Bakofeng when Japan play is predicted to be clear skies and 13°C with 38% humidity. Pretty good conditions.

25. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

Until now, Japan has never played without a forward.

OneiroPhobia repped this.