Japanese NT @ FIFA World Cup 2010 [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Samurai Warrior, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    As the 2010 World Cup draw will be held next Friday, I'm suggeting to open a new thread about JNT at the 2010 WC, discussing the draw, Japan's opponents at the WC, Japan's preperations, friendlies and players selection leading up to the big event.

And sure enough Japan's performance at the main event :) .

2. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Re: Japan at the 2010 World Cup

Good idea.
    My drawing :
    I don't want the same, for sure. I can't wait 'til friday. I hope we'll take an average group, not too easy because this does not prepare to the top competion that comes after and there is a risk to be ashamed if ever we do not go through.
    I think Japan can do really good. Okada is a nice coach with some weird choices when it comes to the players, okay, but the way we play sometimes is beautiful and unique.

OneiroPhobia repped this.
  3. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

FIFA announced the 2010 WC draw procedure (ie; seeding + pot allocations).

The Draw will be held in Cape Town, South Africa, On Friday, December 4th, at 1700 O'Clock GMT.

Link:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/media/newsid=1142262.html

4. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

It will be interesting to see if Okada can carry the Japanese NT to his stated goal of a semi final place, though I am hugely doubtful. OK, Korea made it in 2002, but they did get a little help along the way! But dont mistake my doubt for being against the Japanese NT, its not! Japan is my second team. I want them to do well.

But their play does worry me. Saw many of the qualifiers, and some of the friendlies, including the game against South Africa. At times, Japan played some very nice football, Good passing. Decent speed. That sort of thing. However, in many games I have seen, they just lacked the crucial cutting edge when they get the ball near the box!

For example, the game against South Africa. Japan where the better team, the passing at times was a significant improvement on what I have seen before, but when they get near the box, rather than trying to drive in, they either lost the ball or tried to pass it into the box. They just did not seem able to break down the South Africans sufficiently. However, defensively, they never really looked like South Africa caused too much of a headache. That is a good point.

I just hope the Japan is drawn in a group far away from England. Whilst I love living in Japan, I am still an Englishman, and if England and Japan should play, odds are Japan will get knocked out. And I will be in trouble with my girlfriend.

5. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

And here we all thought Okada's semi's was optimistic.

I would like to avoid France, Portugal from pot 4 and Cameroon, Uruguay and Ghana in pot 3. Oh and I'd like to avoid the english, argentinians and brazilians because we've got pending friendly arrangements with them. I don't wanna be in South Africa's group for some reason as that can lead to complacency.

Ideally: Germany, Japan, Chile, Slovenia/Swiss

6. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

Dude, I'm sure you don't need reminding how France got themselves into the pot in the first place.

7. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

But this is not an objective criteria to put us off. They just changed the rules for this World Cup, bizarre ...
    And I don't say this to absolve us. But this is football. Sometimes mistakes arrive.

OneiroPhobia repped this.
  8. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

I understand what you mean. And really, I think the Blatter and friends have only done this because football and FIFA's reputation is being damaged by the ongoing Henry saga. We all know that FIFA could give two sh*ts about honesty and fair play, but if their money is threatened due to declining reputation, then suddenly they spring into action. There isn't really another explanation for these kinds of autocratic and arbitrary decisions.

9. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

FIFA has been acting in an autocratic manner!? Shock!

Unfortunately, its their ball, and if we want to play, we have to play by their rules.

Enormously irritating, and for my Irish friend. Well... I think you can guess...

10. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

It doesn't have to be that way. Blatter often likes to boast that a new nation will join FIFA before it joins the UN. The difference is that at least the UN claims to be representative, whereas FIFA is possibly the biggest and most corrupt boys' club in the world. In this context, it is not surprising that the UK is very reluctant to field a football team for its own Olympics. If only more journalists would get a clue and realise that the IFAB is probably the only body preventing Blatter from tinkering with the beautiful game according to his own whims, then maybe something would happen. As it is, the situation seems to be a stalemate.

11. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  12. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

The UK isnt reluctant. We are fielding a team.

Problem is, at the Olympics, we compete as Great Britain, in the world cup, as the 4 constituent nations, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. We make up 4 of the 8 seats on IFAB. The other 4 seats held by FIFA. The concern held by the IFA, SFA, and FAW is that if they join with England and submit a team to the Olympics, the drum beat will get louder to unify as 1 British Association. Which they dont want to do. Should we have a unified British association, it would be completely dominated by the English part of it. By keeping separate, the other nations can have the chance to do stuff they just would not get otherwise. Even though FIFA gave assurances that if there was a British team, it would not spark a debate about the home nations, they still did not want to do that. Therefore, England will be the sole FA submitting players for Team GB in London 2012.

13. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

That is what I meant when I said that the IFAB is probably the only body standing between Blatter and complete hegemony over the football world. Just having England send players as a GB team seems like an inelegant compromise (I hadn't heard about this before now, but it sounds pretty reluctant to me). But if it keeps Blatter from trying to dismantle the IFAB while keeping the journos from flapping their gabs then I guess it will have to work.

14. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Oh dear. When's that in Japan?

15. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

I put it through a time zone converter. It came out as midnight on the fifth.

16. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Try a new time zone converter. From the UK to Japan its 9 hours. The UK being on GMT during the winter. That puts the draw at 2 in the morning on the 5th here. Though I think the draw itself is some time after that. Apparently, coverage begins at 5pm GMT.

17. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma

yep, it starts at 2am Saturday here. I set the timer on my TV 2 days ago.

18. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma

Nakata is just saying what any play or coach on any other team would say.
    If you play, you play to win.

Saying you are aiming for the semifinals just makes it sound like you seriously expect to make it that far. The media now mentions it every time they say Okada-Japan. It will be embarassing if Japan finishes last again.

19. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

This is the problem I have with all this! I got all this from the media in England building up the team, even though the team does not say anything such as "we will..." Problem here is now he has said it, he has pretty much signed this in blood as far as the Japanese media is concerned. So, will he fall on his sword if he "breaks his promise?"

20. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

:/

I made a mistake and converted local time in SA to Japan time, rather than GMT. SA is GMT+2 at the moment. At any rate, it's too late to watch it live over here.

21. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Given I work in the afternoon and evening, it aint for me!

22. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Hide isn't actually part of the national setup, and retired in '06. And he's only giving them a suggestion on how to approach the tournament, not an ultimatum or saying they'll do this or that.

23. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

My ideal group would be:

1. Argentina
    2. Japan
    3. Cameroon
    4. Switzerland

24. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Maybe slightly off-topic, but are there any organized watch events in Tokyo for the draw tonight?

25. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I know the Footnik in Ebisu will have it, but don't really know of any other places.