Japanese NT @ FIFA World Cup 2010 Qualifier [R] - Part II

Discussion in 'Japan' started by shuvy87, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: Japanese NT @ WCQ 2010 [R] - part II

I saw the highlights only (fortunately).
    My opinion is simple: Okada must leave, and we need a new, competent International coach who will bring some fresh air around this National Team. As we are now, we'll probably scrape a qualification to the World Cup, to just go to South Africa and return with no victories. We're back basically where we were 10 years ago (France 1998 qualifications), when the coach was... Okada.
    People at JFA, please-please-please think what is best for this team and for the future of Japanese soccer, because this is unacceptable. Other Asian teams are getting better, Japan is NOT, and not because we do not have the players, the league or the supporters it takes.....

Regarding the game, I am al,ways appalled at Japan's poor tactical skills in the back. Uzbekistan's goal is a joke, where was Uchida? And in the second half (around the 40th minute), how did an Uzbek player get to challenge Nakazawa for 10 seconds without anybody pinching in and covering? If the Uzbek wind that duel, we're talking probably about a defeat...
    The NT really needs a coach who can improve not only the morale, but also the tactical skills of this team. If the defense covers as they did in this game, it is going to be VERY painful when we play better team: remember the game vs Brazil in Germany?

BTW, good highlights (HQ) are here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFndzm1gxZ4

To download and file, here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ynammmyazyo

2. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

agree with you here Gora. Okada is a good club coach, but for a national team he doesn't seem to have what it takes. Unfortunately, Japan's policy isn't to fire coaches so the chances of that happening seems slim... as long as Japan scrape through, they don't feel they got reasons enough for giving him the axe it seems... it's a bit like Norway, although the heads in charge here doesn't fire Hareide even though he's failed to take us to any championship since he got the job 5 years ago.

i too only watched the highlights, and they looked good omst of the time didn't they? of course, ther usual problems with hitting the net and all that, but they came to plenty of chances against a fairly good team. and uzbekistan had 2 shots on goal?

3. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

I shouldn't be shocked but I am shocked. What is happening to the team....?

4. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I thought Kyoto (Purple) Sanga has historically poor defending, but looking at the NT and at some of the goals in J1, I believe now it is more of a All-Japan malaise. Look for example at last week's FC Tokyo or Omiya... No surprise that only one Japanese defender (Miyamoto) ever played in Europe. Coaches really need to work on better tactics and attention. I hate to point the finger, but flops as Tulio and Uchida's in yesterday's game are unforgivable at a certain level. It is not the the two I mentioned are not good players, they are actually excellent, but they need to be at their 110% in a game such as yesterday's.

5. tralalarisa

tralalarisa Guest

tulio was a mess... but lets face it, japans defence sucked yesterday.

but at least uchida made efforts to try to help score... he needs to stop passing the ball to other players if he has a good chance to score! (i personally think thats uchida's weakness... always passing the ball even if he has a good shot at goal)

but tulio! okada should have subbed him out... seriously... i think from all the players that played in yesterdays game, he was the worst.

and i think the fact that Uzbekistan had a little inside info on japan thanks to zico made matters worse.

but overall, at least it wasn't a loss.

6. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Yeah, he should have really had one there... :rolleyes:

7. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

How many headers did Tulio connect with? 2 or 3? I'm kind of stunned he didn't score himself to makeup for that terrible "clearance."
    Uchida was almost like a striker for portions of the game... like when he got sent through and later in the 2nd half he showed up streaking down the left flank (no clue how he ended up over there.)

8. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Tulio's last header was really good. Just a really (i'll be honest) brilliant save from the keeper.

9. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Am I the only one who found the crowd excitedly cheering after such a "masterpiece" (Tulio aborted bicycle kick) an irritant display of childishness and a carrier of horribly negative karma? :cool:

10. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

It was incredible the silence that came over the stadium. Combined with the faces of the players, combined with the way Okada trudged away, thinking he shouldn't show up to work on Monday. It summed up the whole night. Inukai was Urawa president when Osieck got sacked I think, maybe he has the balls to give Okada the flick.

Tulio: Is integral to attack but is therefore compromising his defensive responsibilities. Should to to DMF

Terada and Iwamasa should be called, Takagi dropped. Doesn't bother me who out of Terada and Iwamasa are picked as they're both very capable.

My new lineup.

Yanagisawa/Maki---------Akamine/Okubo
    Matsui/T.Soma---------Yamase/Fukui---------Nakamura/Kagawa
    Tulio
    Komano-------Terada/Iwamasa-------Nakazawa--------Uchida
    Narazaki​

Soma has been awesome for Urawa lately and is showing more maturity without compromising aggression. Fukui has been the backbone of Chiba's good form. Kagawa is just brilliant and should be if anything, used as a supersub to sprint his ass off for 30 minutes or so in place for Naka. Nakazawa is as always as solid as a rock and we should all thank our lucky stars that he came out of retirement, It makes me shiver thinking where we'd be without him right now. Only person who is completely reliable, no complaints for Narazaki either.

Tamada but he was good yesterday but for me he isn't there as an international striker, and Tatsuya is one of the more aggressive forwards so he'd be bench man. I think Maki would take the bench and needs more time though. Akamine and Yanagisawa both need a chance. Ganaha needs another team who will play him, then get his form back to that very impressive potential we know about, then he should be back in the NT.

That lineup for me is what I think would fricken overwhelm in defense, push up in attack, and have the players who are capable of scoring or thinking goal is priority rather than possesion.

11. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Not calling Fukui, Iwamasa and Yanagisawa (among others) just show how Okada is not sensitive to what goes on in the league as he dumbly refuses to bring in some "genki" player who surely will bring some good feelings to an apparently confused team.

12. tralalarisa

tralalarisa Guest

so i like how were saying how iwamasa would be or should i say IS 110% better than that takagi guy okada keeps on calling...

i think the whole yanagisawa incident is similar to how okada was reluctant to call ogasawara... and look what happened... ogasawara gets injured for 6 months... GREAT JOB OKADA :D

but i think defence would be at its best if it was Komano (left), Iwamasa/Terada (CB), Nakazawa (CB), and Uchida (right).
    but no... okada would never call up Iwamasa again after not seeing him play on the NT for what unknown reasons... :(

13. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

He might not...;)

14. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta

One question -- Which national team managers out there are 1) good enough, 2) available and 3) willing to take on a reclamation project with just a month before the next competitive match?

Please show your work.

15. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

To be honest, I give a lot of credit to the Uzbek goalkeeper.

16. tralalarisa

tralalarisa Guest

to all of you people who want okada sacked...

Inukai just said that he plans on "believing in Okada"...
    so that means this isnt the last time we'll be seeing Okada.

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/soccer/flash/KFullFlash20081016078.html

the same article is on every big major japanese news site on line.

17. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Great.

18. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Japanese NT @ WCQ 2010 [R] - Part III

Well like Trooper points out, there really isn't anybody to replace him right now.
    JFA screwed it by waiting too long and I think we're stuck with him indefinitely. The time to go out and sign a coach was right after the Euros.
    Any recent status with Osim' recovery process? I'm not really sold that he is the solution either... but at least it's an option.

19. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

does it have to be national team manager then? what about letting Akira Nishino in charge? :)

now, i don't know who's available or not, but would it be a good way to bring in an international acclaimed coach? i guess JFA can afford it if they want...say, a name like Trapattoni.

Okada's not the worst choice, I mean, we could have been stuck with Graeme Souness:rolleyes: But perhaps we got a bit accustomed to the "sexy" football Japan played in Zico's time. Certainly the team were entertaining to watch then, and although his tactical skills or player selections weren't the best, he atleast managed some decent results. I'm glad he quit though, but Okada's style of football isn't as attractive as Zico's. The results aren't that much worse than Zico's or Troussier's is they?Japan struggled in qualification during their reigns too. it's just that Japan doesn't play that fun anymore. So with mediocre results and dull football, of course there will be alot of critic.

The main problem however, is in my opinion Okada's lack of mobilising the players or getting them motivated enough. He's a good tactician, atleast he were before, but perhaps he's struggling to reach out to his players with his philosophy, and doesn't make them hungry enough for success. A good motivator and team player, like Hiddink, would have done that in an instant. The player material in Okada's squad are by no means bad, and should be good enough to compete on the World Stage. But this isn't Okada's fault alone, the J.League teams and coaches are to blame as well. and of course, the players to some extent. But Okada's the main culprit for not doing a better job communicating with his players.

20. joiner redded

joiner redded Red Card

Oct 8, 2008

In WC 2010,

Korea, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Japan, Australia will qualify.

Japan will advance so don't worry.

21. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

What? No pictures this time? :rolleyes:

22. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I figured it out. Check this out.

Alright, if anybody saw Korea Republics highlights or Australia's, they are in scoring form and look very competent in attack. And when they or Australia score, often the other team only has 3 or so defenders around the box. I think its because, the forwards of the Japan NT are pushing up waaaay too far and encouraging the backs to flood back. Now combine that with the fact the midfielders don't push forward as quickly as they should and it means by the time we get round to attacking, they have 7 players around the box and they're all fine.

Japanese forwards need to play as attacking midfielders and be involved in the build up more past the half way line so that defenders will come to them to stop their involvement in the build-up play, because japanese players a brilliant at passing back to keep possession, they can put the ball to naka, at which point naka or any other japanese midfielder can do what japanese midfielders do best and be a playmaker and send a through ball in. That is how you break down a bloody defense. The leg speed on Tatsuya Tanaka and Tamada would be enough for them to latch onto a through ball and score.

Also, Tulio needs a discipline talk and needs to be told to stop screwing around and prioritise with the defense or Terada will be put in. Japan need to play with two defensive midfielders, with two attacking wingers like Kagawa/Matsui and Naka, but no central attacking midfielder. Until about 20 metres from goal, the strikers need to take on the role of attacking midfielders, and then gun forward so that if they do beat the line of defense, they don't just run straight into the goalkeeper, instead they have a few metres and a second or so to compose before they shoot.

Until the last 25 m on the pitch, the midfielders and strikers need to build up and draw defenders in a tight pentagon formation. With Okubo and Tanaka being attacking midfielders. Once past the 25m mark, Kagawa and Naka push really close, with the defenders and put a through ball in.

T.Tanaka------Okubo
    Kagawa/Matsui---------------Naka
    Abe----Endo/Ono/Tulio​

with the wing backs flat with the DMF's and ready to run forward. With only one DMF to go forward at a time, the other staying back.

this is just part of what my attacking tactics would be for Japan.

23. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

that sounds pretty good akitod. atleast in theory, and it should work on the pitch as well. let the players do what they are best at, naka can pass, kagawa and matsui can dribble, and tamada/tanaka etc can run FAST. that should work :)

24. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma

Tulio made a mistake, but the other players didn't help by just standing and watching when his clearance went straight up into the air. They are too slow to react sometimes.

The thing I like about Tulio is, he is the only player on the team that can play a long pass. And by that, I mean actually kicking the ball over other players' heads to get it to his target. With the exception of Shunsuke sometimes, all the other players can do is make a series of short passes until the ball eventually gets to the other side of the pitch (by which time the opposite team is pressuring that area).

25. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

A team who are having scoring problems at the moment are Italy. From 4 games they've scored 6 goals. In contrast England have scored 14 goals in the same time. Italy are attacking in a similar way to Japan and their goals are very scrappy, they're dominating and stuffing with the ball in midfield until they have 6 players in the box before they consider making the move. England are running at defenders in a very good attacking sequence and keeping the strikers close to the midfield until the very last ball from 20 m out to in the box. When they do that, it gets to a point where the other team realises they have 3 defenders in position to stop 2 strikers, 2 central midfielders and two wingers cutting in quickly. At which point england finish off a simple move.

Japan's performance against Uzbekistan other than the first 10 minutes, was a lot better than Australia's performance against the Uzbeks. Australia relied on aerial and their goal was a header from Chipperfield. So I wouldn't go as far to say we'd get beaten by Australia.

Australia's entire attacking game at the moment is based around their strength in the air. Nakazawa, Tulio and Terada all can beat Kennedy and that. When Australia use the header, often 2 defenders try to stop Kennedy in the air causing a player to be left unmarked.