Japanese football streaming guide

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by naopon, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Vendo Thefastlane

Jul 16, 2009
    Mito, Ibaraki
    Club:
    --other--
    Streaming is about to be a lot easier for those willing to pay for it.

SkyPerfecTV lost the rights to J. League from next year. A streaming service called DAZN will have rights to all three divisions next year.

I don't know much about it, but I know much of my satellite dish usage will drop

artml repped this.
  2. GunnerTNB

GunnerTNB Member+

Apr 4, 2011
    São Paulo
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    Will it be accessible outside of Japan without the need of VPN or something of the sort?

m_darmanto and Whispered11 repped this.
  3. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    It is not necessarily bad, but means we are going from 1080p and 4k quality to 720p at the best.. And that is only if you have a very good internet line, and if their bundesliga streams are anything to go by even 480p seems a longshot at times..

And no support for chromecast ( and not apple tv either for those who use that) means you are basically only left with Amazon fire tv stick if u want to watch it on the big screen without connecting with cables etc.

Or am I missing something?

I would pay extra if every game was in 4k, but instead they are now going the other way and will only give us a very poor picture ( might, be OK on a keitai but will look bad on a big tv) ....

4. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    the answer seems to be no aside from some selected countries, which is the bigger issue here (esp. for those who used Livesport).
    @ nipponbasse : personally I'm not much into these tech things but I think the price should be lower at least... should

5. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    DAZN also got A-League now ( which is great news), and I've been watching a couple of games lately. If you watch on a mobile phone/tablet the quality is very good or even close to superb, but when trying to watch on a computer it was horrible. Barely better picture than free streams like www.cool-24.com, and it kept lagging and stopping all the time. And this was on a 200 mbit/s wired internet connection.

Before the J.League starts I guess I have to buy Amazon Fire TV or Stick, unless they will open it up to work on Chromecast too.

But as a general note, I think this can be a very good product if the technical stuff will work. I mean, you get Bundesliga, J.League and A-League in the same package, and also Serie A, Ligue 1, Jupiler League, Argentina League a well as most of the major European cups like Copa Del Rey as well as Formula 1 etc. For what is a very cheap price.

But in 2017 I would expect to get ATLEAST full HD when watching a game on the big screen.

6. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    @naopon Do you know if Livesport offer Android app? It's amazing how they offer apps for LG, Samsung and Toshiba smartTVs but not for Android or iOS .. at least based on my research so far.

DAZN (not available in US) or Livesport.. hm... :coffee:

7. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean Eversport?

8. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    i actually meant livesport ... at the same time, just realized they don't offer Jleague in US :ninja:

http://www.livesport.tv/home

9. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah and I hadn't realized that DAZN and Livesport were both Perform Group apps - maybe they will consolidate services and make it available here too.

10. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yea, that's why i started to check it out .

anyways, does Eversport offer all matches? DAZN has limited access to 2 device at the same time :mad: I'm going to miss SkyPerfecTV

11. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eversport didn't have J1 until near the end of the season but I think they had all the matches - albeit on delay. I think Perform owns all the rights now.

From the DAZN release:

Samurai Warrior and takeuchi repped this.
  12. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    http://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/07/01/ngsn-acquires-j-league-streaming-rights-in-us-through-2017/

but we are out of luck since they suspended the service since March of 2016 :rolleyes:

https://eversport.tv/press-release/...overage-internationally-in-skyperfectv-tie-up

Sky PerfecTV has the oversea rights til 2019.. however, $20 a month is too expensive.

naopon, Samurai Warrior and Radu Razvan repped this.
  13. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, looks like you're correct. $20/mo is pretty steep...I wonder if they have any measures to prevent sharing of accounts? ;);)

14. Vendo Thefastlane

Jul 16, 2009
    Mito, Ibaraki
    Club:
    --other--
    I just started my free DAZN trial and for me, the quality is very high, with especially the sound quality surprising me. Good on the phone or computer, or full screen and home stereo via HDMI connection or Xbox One.

I'm not a tech expert but I do have a good setup and it just feels better quality than SkyPerfect with the added benefits of so many sports available and a lower price. It is definitely worth your time even if just to try it out.

15. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    DAZN is great if you're living in Japan. Even if the price will go up in the coming years the coverage (now that they signed a deal with docomo if I'm not mistaken) is pretty damn good. And for now it's realy cheap. It seems like they indeed have a long term startegy and they're implementing it. First part of the plan - to get finally past the baseball significantly and make football number one sport in popularity within Japanese society. And if NT would go to the Russia in 2018 and won't be back home after first round like they did in Brazil it should be a pretty easy task.

16. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Yep, the product is getting better and better. On a PC the quality still sucks though, I would guess mainly because they force us to use Silverlight. On mobile phone its really good though.

And I saw they updated their list of devices supported now, with Chromecast set to be available soon, and even Apple TV at a later point, so we should still be able to watch it on the big screen like before. But streaming, no matter what internet line you have, obviously wont be anything near the same quality we had with Sky Perfect and their full HD and even 4K broadcasts.

Hope they will also allow us to watch it on mulitple devices at once, or have multiple windows open so we can still watch 4 matches at the same time.

17. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

This...:mad::mad::mad:

Anyways, my exp w/ DAZN is painful so far. It cuts off too often

18. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you using a proxy?

19. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yup, it is the only way for you & i to access....

naopon repped this.
  20. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    and paying method? DAZN accepts only Japanese cards?

21. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Payment address must match the country you're accessing DAZN from
    Please check to ensure that the billing address attached to your bank account or card is in the same country that you are accessing DAZN from. For example, if you are accessing DAZN from Germany, your bank account used for sign up must also have a billing address based in Germany.

22. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    ok, but then you can view DAZN Japan despite you have registered a bank account from Germany? Link where I need to make DAZN account to watch J League?

23. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the point is that a DAZN subscriber in Germany has access to J-League content. Perform is the global rights holder.

24. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Unfortunately, no. I was also planning to solve it "via Germany" initially.
    I can confirm that you can't watch JLeague from Germany. Info comes from DAZN itself, I've spoken with them recently. Admittedly, it was kind of weird, it sounds as if Perform has the rights worldwide but DAZN is allowed to stream it only in Japan. Crazy, but here's the quote:

JLeague, is a right that we only have for Japan – therefore you need to always be in Japan with a Japanese IP and have a payment registered in Japan that you use for DAZN.

There is no link. First you need to open the website with a japanese IP\proxy to see the right page. Then you can register.
    Btw, it's ¥1,750 + taxes p/month

25. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #75 Dax, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Double post.
    Apparently, the lady from the customer service doesn't even know what they offer, since I heard that DAZN Germany is offering Kashima-Tokyo and Cerezo-Iwata this week (sourcE: banner on Spox.com ).
    So, it's like there's some matches offered, which would still be not satisfying for me, but maybe it's "better than nothing" for someone who has no choice.

Samurai Warrior repped this.