Japanese Abroad 2004/05 [R]

Discussion in 'Japanese Abroad' started by skipshady, May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ACkenji

ACkenji Member

Jan 13, 2002
  2. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    Re: Official Japanese Abroad Thread 2004-05 [R]

wasn't he linked with some local english team before?

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC

West Ham?

They lost a bunch of money and got relegated to Division One.

4. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000

I agree that the best years of Hide are when he was in Perugia. I still remember that awesome bicycle kick goal from a freekick.

It's unfortunately but true that sometimes whether a player can succeed in a team depends a lot on the manager.

Hide was regarded very highly by Mazzola. He was used in all kinds of situations under Mazzola -- he was the first choice CK, FK, and PK taker. He played in the middle of midfield, which is Hide's best position. Also he was a definite starter if he's not injured. Under these circumstances, Hide was very involved in the team and he was playing with a lot of confidence.

When he moved to Roma, Cappello made him a sub for Totti so he had little PT. I don't agree that Cappello was 2 or 3 yrs ahead of Hide could do. With a dratically reduced PT he still played relatively well , but you can see that he's very unhappy as the days gone by.

In Parma, he played out of position as DMF or RMF. Needlessly to say this could not possibly bring out the best in him. This is the time when Hide played his worst football.

In Bologna, Mazzola once again made him a key player in his team, and playing central attacking mid again allowed him to be his normal self. Still, I think he has lost a step of two compared to his Perugia days.

I think it's best for Hide to get out of Italy and move to a more offensive-minded league like EPL or La Liga. As a very offensive player, he will have much more room to manuever, hence making him a better player.

5. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000

Miyamoto is what? 176 cm tall?

EPL teams all play with tall central defenders. Does the Masked Man really have a decent chance of playing in England?

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC

He's moving to Holland actually, but I don't think Dutch defenders are any shorter than English defenders.

In any case, Vitesse plan to announce the signing this week.

7. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
  8. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Wasnt Miyamoto damn near signing for Feyenoord last year ?

9. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I really think Kawaguchi should come back to J league. He will earn more money and a lot of playing time. He is very talented and I think he showed that on game against Iran.

10. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I hope Kawaguchi can get a lot of playing time. If he comes back to Marinos , I will be glad.
    But he is a challenger. So I don't know where he will go.

11. azia

azia New Member

Jun 6, 2004
  12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Re: Japanese International Thread [R]

Who can tell? Even if it is a rumor, it's certainly been making the rounds.

If it is legit, it's hard to say whether Kyoto would go through with it. They're one of about five or six teams that have a shot at the second promotion spot (behind runaway leaders Kawasaki), so it'd be a tough sell for the club.

13. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
  14. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan

How good is the French second division? I don't think it's better than J1.

Nakamura will be out, so Ono will be central to the team. Luckily, he is in form now at Feyenoord. Kolkata (Calcutta) is the capital of Indian soccer. If the stadium is filled with the capacity crowd of 120,000 fans, the atmosphere will be quite intimidating. However, getting 3 points is required, and Japan should be able to do it, without Nakata, Inamoto, Nakamura and Tamada. Our real enemy is Oman, of course.

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
  16. buggy

buggy New Member

Aug 11, 2004

from what I know it's not gonna give you the tinglies, but there is one big difference -- it's not Japan. The players may not be technically better than him on the whole, but I think they are gonna be a whole lot rougher and tougher. Matsui needs to build up his body and his attitude to not be intimidated by this, otherwise he'll never make it onto the NT or anywhere else. It would be a shame to see his talents go to waste. I also heard from a colleague that LeMans has a number of African and other European country players on the team, so it'll give him experience with "gaijin"...(foreigners) other than just French. He's going to have a lot of tough months getting used to it, but if it goes well, it would do him a world of good, no?

17. yosukino

yosukino New Member

Jul 18, 2004
    saitama,Japan

I agree matsui needs to build up his body. Furthermore he needs to have mind-set that getting into the game eagerly. I think his mind is like the way of Syunsuke Nakamura, naive and selfish.

18. buggy

buggy New Member

Aug 11, 2004

I don't know, i think the "naive and selfish" view of Shunsuke is a little out-dated now. He's been through a lot of hard times in the last couple years. I think he's matured and taken on the responsibility with a better attitude. He ran his butt off up and down the length of the field during the Asian Cup, even if it wasn't his preference and actually made the team have fewer chances at goal (since he's supposed to be up front ideally, but in the circumstances of the game he had to change to accomodate and back up other players). He understands now that it's important to voice his opinions and demands, and take rest when he feels it will ultimately do the team best (so his injuries don't get worse). I think before he was too quiet and it got interpreted wrong...

And for a guy with his special characteristic talents, it's probably good to be a little selfish -- hence, the term I hear used with him: "fantasista". Sometimes he's going to have to try a few creative risk^taking things to change the course of the game... this is part of being a leader in the group. Otherwise the team will never get better than their weakest player, don't you think? I think before he was more concerned with helping his teammates get goals, but it ultimately made himself look weak. Hopefully he can find a good balance now both in Reggina and in NT.

Building up the body is important as I said before, but now that I think about it, not too too much! Both Matsui and Shunsuke need to be on the lighter side for their particular talents to shine. But definitely, they need to be mentally and physically strong enough to not get knocked around just by being brushed by a big defender...!

19. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  20. buggy

buggy New Member

Aug 11, 2004

Spain league is great, but I understand the team is on the cusp of goin down... just like his COsaka team.... will the Osaka team give him up so easily now that the team is in such danger?

I hear other teams are showing interest as well -- does anyone know which ones?

either way, a move abroad will do Okubo good -- let him spread his wings more, and also get a more matured attitude... I hope things go well for him!

21. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

By January Osaka will know if they will relegate or stay in J1. Until then Okubo is staying, so it will not impact the chemistry of the team. However, if they do relegate they will probably have to transfer highly profiled players like Okubo in order to be finacially stable in J2, so it might be a great move.

22. buggy

buggy New Member

Aug 11, 2004

ahh..that makes sense... I know Okubo was focused on going to Spain rather than any of the other leagues, so this should be very motivating for him to do well in Osaka in the little time he has left. I hear he had been studying Spanish in order to prepare himself for a move, so I think he's on the right track. Language is probably the first real hurdle any of these players face, and any player who wants to move abroad should at least start learning basic football-english...

btw, I found an interesting article interviewing Daisuke Matsui. (There doesn't seem to be any news on him, so it's nice to find one!) It's in Japanese, but I somehow muddled through. It sounds like he has made the initial transition into LeMans well, now it's going to be a challenge for him to be effective in the team unit plus up his language abilities. If anyone's interested, here's the link -- Matsui Interview (Japanese)

23. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

What team ?

24. buggy

buggy New Member

Aug 11, 2004

Mallorca/Majorca.