Japan to stage Tokyo Olympics without overseas spectators

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FanOfFutbol, Mar 11, 2021.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I posted this in the "news" thread but then I read that "major" news should have its own thread. This seems "major."

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...ed-at-start-of-tokyo-olympic-torch-relay.html

2. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    I feel for poor jackdoggy...
    Yet more denial of his birth right.

OT but I read a quote from Megan about these 2 games in April that kind of shocked me.

"I think we still need our punch in the mouth that we haven't got yet," Rapinoe said.

Meaning to me that they need a loss to rally their resolve...

3. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That is important news, FofF. I hadn't heard that. I think it is wise.

Megan's remark is interesting; it makes sense to me.

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "The Tokyo Olympics Are in Trouble: once again:
    https://www.thenation.com/article/society/tokyo-olympics-pandemic/
    From the column:

With less than 100 days until the scheduled start, Covid-19 cases are on the rise across Japan. Anger about the Games is also on the rise in Japan, with “Cancelling Olympics” trending on Twitter there last week. One recent poll found that more than seven in 10 people in Japan do not want the Olympics to happen this summer, with 39 percent preferring outright cancellation and another 33 percent favoring further postponement.
    The news from Japan keeps getting worse and worse.
    I still believe the politicians will win the battle and the Games will go on but I also suspect there is more to hear from the Japanese public and the politicians may well cave into public pressure.

I do wonder if there will be protests from the Japanese public during the Olympics or protests directed at the foreigners coming for the Games. There will be no overseas spectators but there are enough "other" people coming to make an attractive target for protests.

5. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Catch 22. "Dammed if they do, and dammed if that don't" 7 out 10 don't either want it, or do, but not for this summer. Political "hari-kar."

6. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    That’s down from 8 out of 10.

7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    the voting machines were rigged. Largest vote in favor of the games in history!

jnielsen and zdravstvuyte repped this.
  8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You just had to go there, didn't you? Good one. :D

9. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ironically the far right website/message board called 8Chan(which included Qnan’s misinformation campaign) , was allowed to operate freely out of Japan. Guess we’re headed to the belly of the beast

11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well it looks like the schedule is not really friendly to TV watching. The group matches overlap a lot but I guess they are not really compressing the schedule more that usual for the Olympics. It is just another way FIFA and the Olympic Committee show that they consider the Olympic soccer as a second or third rate. They do not care at all if people world wide can actually watch all matches live. In the WC all matches, except the third round of group play, are played so they can be watched without interfering with watching other matches.

Tokyo Olympics: Women's soccer TV schedule, dates, live stream, how to watch, start times, scores, results

But, then again, I, and most other folks, can record all the matches and watch at our leisure. It will be about as good as having the matches scheduled so they don't overlap, if we can avoid seeing, hearing or otherwise being exposed to results.
    Of course the announcers can, and probably will, spoil the results by announcing goals as they happen in other matches. Maybe I can find the matches broadcast in a language I do not understand and just look away hen the give "bonus" coverage.

I do wonder if the broadcasters will make the matches available delayed or if it will be the responsibility of the viewers to record and store the matches.

We do have some time to figure out what we need to do to see all the matches. Due to the timing here, in the US, most of us will watch delayed in some way. The matches all seem to start between 3:30 and 7:30 AM ET and that is a bit early, even for me.

I guess I could alter my schedule for the Games but, at my age, altering my schedule stresses my body more than it used to. I guess the various DVR functionalities I have access to will get a bit of a workout for the duration of the games.

12. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Joint statement by the IOC, IPC, Tokyo 2020, Tokyo Metropolitan Government and the Government of Japan

I wonder if these "games" will go down as the most restrictive games ever?
    I also wonder if participating in the games is really worth the hassle?

My granddaughters have said that there was a "chance" they could have gone to some of the events since they have lived in Japan for several years and local people are allowed some limited attendance but they declined due to all the restrictions placed on the people that actually go to events. They understand the need for restrictions and limitations but they are choosing to not accept the invasive procedures.

The Olympic Games should be fun but nothing in the regulations seems even remotely like "fun."

13. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I keep seeing news reports that tell me that Japan will hold the Olympics as rescheduled but the same articles keep saying the Japanese people are against it and the athletes will be placed in danger all for little more than a payday for a few big money people.

The Olympics are immovable for one reason only: money. Three-quarters of the IOC’s revenue comes from television rights alone, for two events – the summer and winter Games – held every four years. For the IOC, the threat of a multi-billion dollar black hole in its budget is too much to bear. Covid be damned.

I am more sure that the Olympics will be held that I have been for over a year and I am less sure I support the idea at all. I am coming to believe it is simply too dangerous, particularly for the athletes, for an event staged just for TV is worth the risk.

There is no real gain to holding the Olympics in current conditions but "money" does not care about the well being of any but themselves.

jnielsen repped this.
  14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Tokyo Olympics: Why doesn't Japan cancel the Games?

I still think the games will proceed as scheduled but personally I am really beginning to doubt if there is any real value in taking the risks involved in holding even the bastardized games as planed in the current world situation.
    We are just climbing out of the effects of the pandemic and, right as things are beginning to look better, we are going to risk re-energizing the many strains of the infection and give them a better way to spread worldwide.
    All the planed precautions will NOT work because there are too many variables. Remember the virus is alive and, to quote a movie, "Life finds a way." And to further paraphrase the same movie, "The kind of control you are attempting is simply impossible."
    While the world is making great strides toward getting all the virus strains under control it is NOT yet under control and it will not be under control before the scheduled start of the Olympics.

But, as I have said before, the money boys at the IOC will not let the games die this year if they still see the big bucks. so it is "Damn the virus, full speed ahead." (Again a paraphrase.)

15. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Tangentially related is the fact that this year’s INDY500 has sold over 135,000 tickets already. I hear they have now capped sales at 140k.
    While it technically is less than half the usual crowd (350k+) I’d say it’s the ultimate test to see how well these vaccines do in mass gatherings.

jnielsen repped this.
  16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  18. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Good idea!

19. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It almost seems that the only people in Japan that really want the Olympics to go on are parts of the government and the IOC.

Tokyo medical association calls for cancellation of Tokyo Olympics due to spike in Covid cases

I am really beginning to believe that nothing good will come from holding the Olympics as scheduled. However the almighty dollar (Or yen) will drive people to risk anything.
    I wonder what the equation of lives vs money actually is for the IOC.
    That is how many lives is it worth for each dollar (yen) the the Olympics will bring in?

20. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Japan needs to step up on vaccinations instead. I’m reading most people and the government don’t want to do it.

jnielsen repped this.
  21. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    So the question is, should they relocate the Olympics to another country? Cause the delay or cancel could last for years.

22. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    While some events could be moved to another country, like soccer could be moved to the US, there is no country, even the US, that could gear up for the entire Olympics, including the housing, food and other support that would be needed, in such a short time. I believe that moving the Olympics is out of the question.

Also any further delay would conflict with too many other events like soccer would have rather extreme difficulties because of conflicts with WC qualifying and many other events already set world wide.

That leaves cancellation as the only real alternative. While that would mean that a lot of money would have been wasted it seems that refueling the pandemic is the result that holding the Olympics would cause and unnecessarily risking the lives of all involved. It has already been shown that none of the vaccines are more than about 95% effective in prevention and that means that at least 5% of vaccinated people can catch the disease and infect others.

It simply is no longer worth the risk.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Japan’s screwed cuz the the only way to to recover or make money from any of this would of been the all mighty tourist dollar.
    The Olympic Committee biggest income would be tv rights which they’ve collected already. Surely they got insurance, but if the show don’t go on, the insurance will sky rocket for the next time.
    If I understand FIFA, they also get to keep the revenue from the gate receipts as well as official merchandise(same with the OIC?)
    So I can understand Japan wanting to get out of it, I mean, who would want to associated with what will go down in the history as the Covid Olympics?

Klingo3034 repped this.
  24. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well it seems official. The IOC cares about money a LOT more than about the health and well being of the spectators (limited as they will be), athletes and support people.

Tokyo Olympics to open even if COVID-19 cases rise in Japan

25. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...Just vaccinate all the athletes and support staff? What the hell is the issue? Get your shot(s), and you're good. Will it GUARANTEE that you'll NEVER get sick? No, but you won't die even if you do get a different strain.

Klingo3034 repped this.