Japan releases roster for US friendly

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Wessoman, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you care, there ya have it:

Squad:
    Goalkeepers---Yoichi Doi (FC Tokyo), Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi (Jubilo Iwata), Hitoshi Sogahata (Kashima Antlers)
    Defenders---Makoto Tanaka (Jubilo Iwata), Tsuneyasu Miyamoto (Gamba Osaka), Alessandro Santos (Urawa Reds), Yuji Nakazawa (Yokohama F. Marinos), Keisuke Tsuboi (Urawa Reds), Shinji Murai (Jubilo Iwata), Akira Kaji (FC Tokyo), Yuichi Komano (Sanfrecce Hiroshima), Teruyuki Moniwa (FC Tokyo)
    Midfielders---Takashi Fukunishi (Jubilo Iwata), Mitsuo Ogasawara (Kashima Anlters), Masashi Motoyama (Kashima Antlers), Yasuhito Endo (Gamba Osaka), Yuki Abe (JEF United Chiba), Makoto Hasebe (Urawa Reds)
    Forwards---Takayuki Suzuki (Kashima Anlters), Tatsuhiko Kubo (Yokohama F. Marinos), Seiichiro Maki (JEF United Chiba), Hisato Sato (Sanfrecce Hiroshima)

http://www.jfa.or.jp/e/news/2005/051226_1.html

Kubo is still a question mark, and will Suzuki's dives work against the US backline? No Koji Nakata and Akira Kaji is in the mix, so they won't suck. Note to Donovan: Run at Alex Santos. Dude is pants.

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so help me out here: is this an a team, a b team or something in between?

thanks for the info ...

3. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    This looks like their best domestic side. They lack their Euros (Nakata, Inamoto and Nakamura)

Mind you, my only qualification here is that I sometimes watch the J League highlight show and have a Japanese wife. :)

4. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    JEF United Sweet Chiba baby

5. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the "Best" domestic side. Some Japanese fans will say that this is a B-Team because he isn't taking some in-form players in the J-League (Read Rising Sun news for the occasional rant) but it's also clear that Zico is playing some players who need to see if they can retain their international form. For one, Kubo and Alex Santos come to mind. Kubo is back from injury, and Santos has experienced an Eddie Pope-like decline in play for both Club and Country, he's nowhere near the player back in 2002. Meanwhile, here is a chance for bubble players like Akira Kaji to really cement their place on the side.
    Oddly, the Japanese team seems to mirror the predicament of the US team.

6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably only a preliminary training camp roster. Injuries may change the Japanese squad between now and February.

7. IrishQuake

IrishQuake New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Alameda, CA, USA
    That makes you more qualified than most of us!

Good to know we'll not be taking on their reserve side. Our lads need to have realistic warm-up matches before heading to Germany.

8. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah this is why im wondering about the Norway match. Their players are good dont get me wrong , but we want to be testing our team right now to see if some of them can complete against strong opposition.

9. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    alex has been the biggest chronical desease for japan. everytime he possesses the ball our offense shrivels and disasters swear in but he is still better than donovan and any other u.s. players. early and easy prediction: japan 3-1 usa

10. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe I didn't figure out the anagram earlier. Enjoy your stay, Hama...

11. General Manager

Dec 23, 1998
    Exactly how much knowledge do you have the US team to make such a claim Alex isn't exactly being followed by some euro clubs unlike some of the USMNT players currently in camp. and yet you make such claims as this Japan B team will defeat a US B team. is this japan team the one that lost to a Peru D team in japan? or are they going to really try this time.

12. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's gonna be like an MLS/J-League all star game. Neither team is gonna have their euros and the guys will all be coming back from post season layoffs. Teams are really kind of similar.......nice midfields, questions in the back 4 and inability to put away easy chances on goal. Kawaguchi, Doi, and Sogahata are all decent keepers (unlike the overrated Narazaki of Grampus) Abe and Ogasawara are great players and Hasebe is an x factor.......had a nice run in the Emperors cup, only 21.

13. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing -- you really are not going to be able to take much from this match as it is a bunch of players who will be just rounding back into shape for their respective seasons and both squads will be missing several important players. A 3-0 score either way really won't mean that either squad is superior to the other (as it typically would) just better on that day. That said, I would still expect a tight (and probably ugly) match.

14. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    everyone's using ttheir domestic sides in the january/feb friendlies so what's the big deal...

arena will go euro against poland and germany....

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

however long it lasts .... :)

16. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    it should be noted, this is japans first team defense, so arena will have a valueable learning tool that evening

17. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex Santos is better than Donovan or any other US Players!?

Are you freaking kidding me!?!?

Sure, the Reds were runners up in the J-League but c'mon, this is insanity here. Alex is a solid player who reminds me a lot of Frankie Hejduk or Chris Albright. But neither of those players is class, and neither of them are assured of a spot on the WC Roster. A *solid* player isn't necessarily a world-class player. As a defender, Alex isn't even at the same level with even some of the US MLS defenders, like Jimmy Conrad.
    I think some Japanese fans will agree with me: Alex is the Japanese Eddie Pope. He once was a master of his position, now his increasingly lacklustre play is moving him to the edges of the national team...And maybe off of it completely soon.

18. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ogasawara is TOUGH....watch out for him in the midfield. The dude has speed and really nice technical ability.

19. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    You know, if our MLS-based USNT players made strides against this one hurdle, our national team would really be on the money. With out finishing easy chances, we'll always have our work cut out for us.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Have any of the players on this roster previously played in Europe?

21. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    I don't really watch the J-league but i eat Japanese's noodle soup.

22. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    i think Ogasawara has once played for a German's club.

23. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    i think most of Japanese players have technical skill, sometime i wonder how those guys score beautiful goals, and yes they scored buch of beautiful goals, not just goals.

24. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Imagine, a country that release the roster for a game. The only way the US would know is if someone went to the airport to see who got on the plane. This is one aspect of Arena I find VERY annoying. Threre is nothing at stake. Why can't the roster ever be released?

25. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta agree with this one too. It gets annoying after a while. I could perhaps understand a little more if this were a WC game, but it's just a friendly.