Japan at the 2013 Confederations Cup

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Dax, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Harima83

Harima83 Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The last game was useless. 0 points, but the two true defeats are with Brazil and Italy.
    To my eyes, Japan did some progresses since WC 2010, at least as way to play. I've never seen Japan plays so well like in the match against Italy. I also think that without a goal in the first minutes by Neymar, the japanese team would have told a different story.
    In my opinion, the main problems are the center-backs. and Endo. The current Japan with Tulio and Nakazawa in their best years would be a little bit better, but how Japan as formed strong players like Honda and Kagawa in the advanced line, it needs to form same strong player for the defensive one.
    Endo is the typical player that Zaccheroni likes, but he also made his time and it's necessary a replacement.
    The question is: who can be the right man to improve the squad for the next WC?

2. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think there is a lot of problems with this.
    1. Management. I don't doubt Zac is a good manager. But I feel he is wrong for Japan. Seem like he does not know what to do or what he is doing. Just look at the subs yesterday. And the use of the same certain players and the unwillingness of trying something new.

2. Goalkeeping. Kawashima is good but I am the only one feeling he has stagnated? Maybe even become more unsecure? I'm not safe all the time with him.

3. CB. Yoshida had a good season with Southampton, but I'm not at all calm with him and Konno. Here must they find at least 1 new CB. A big problem.

4. Strikers. Use Okazaki , why even bother trying someone else? He is the only one capable of scoring. And he was the best japanese player during this Cup.

5. I am not that concerned about lb and rb. Solid. And not so much about midfield even though it's time for Endo to step down. He has been fantastic for the NT. But he is to slow now, even though he is not even close to as bad as many in there want him to be,

Just some thoughts.

Radu Razvan and Whispered11 repped this.
  3. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    But he already tried in the Brazil match? :unsure:
    He did the goals in his usual (natural) position...

4. Harima83

Harima83 Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    These are defects that Zaccheroni has alwasy had.
    JFA should try to hire Hiddink. :D

5. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He should be used as a free role. No need to have another striker on. Put another midfielder on instead. It's like playing with 10 men.

6. diamondshiro11

Aug 7, 2012
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    not racist or anything but i think japan needs a japanese coach.. maybe we could keep zac in a kind of counselor or assistant role because of the work he s done an to give him some credit.. but a japanese coach is essential and i m thinking about a guy like nishino or even bringing back okada

7. diamondshiro11

Aug 7, 2012
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    and hell no hiddink is a mercenary coach.. look what he did to turkey they went from a 3rd place in 2008 to a team that is being mocked now

8. marten48

marten48 Member

Jun 2, 2012
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I thought Kurihara looked decent in the game vs. Mexico. Maybe he's the answer? I agree that we need a third reliable option at CB.

9. BigDnm01

BigDnm01 Member

May 14, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    regarding Okazaki, He as Target man is easy to mark and restrained. But give him the space in midfield and he can really cause some damage running into the box.

Whispered11 repped this.
  10. uhdfkwncvbgtyhu89

Nov 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  11. TODOROKI_11

TODOROKI_11 Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  12. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  13. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Reliable 3rd option? Lets begin with reliable 1st option, then 2nd option......then we'll start worrying about a reliable 3rd option.

I think Yoshida--Kurihara should be our starting pair. Tbh Konno was better in the CC (both were crap) but Yoshida is better at defending set pieces/corners. And konno is in J2...

14. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I... didn't unfortunately.

the first Mexico goal is his fault, not Konno's :/

15. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    I love the "Konno is better but X should be starting" pattern. X can be replaced by anyone as long as he's over 180cm.

16. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Since I root for Barcelona I know the problem very well.

Lack of danger factor on set pieces, a lot more danger present on the set pieces of opponent. This isn't that irrelevant...

17. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Barcelona had some some success, I heard.

18. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I watch every game of Barcelona from preseason friendlies to competitive matches. Barcelona conceed a lot of goals from set pieces and have a danger factor of about 0,05% on Corners.

And this has changed quite a bit in a last few years. Having above 1,80 cm defenders at least is important.
    Had cules had worse team in general they would have conceed even more

The entire back line is in fact very similar to Japan's one

both side backs small ones small central defender and one tall one.

In contrast Spain's national team has 3 tall guys in defense which is one of the main reason why they are a lot more solid defensively then Barca

19. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    I like the best players above any other consideration. Barcelona have had their fair share of success with this mentality (even though, tbh, I don't care about Barcelona).

20. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    by the way Sergio Ramos is 4-5 cm more than Konno...

21. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    5 cm which is quite a lot but add to that the physique and the great leaping ability probably Ramos when jumping raises that adventage to about 10 cm

22. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Sure best players come first. However as I said there are bonuses to all things. For instance Messi is more often than not considered the best player in the world, while people will say that Ronaldo is the most complete - aka both feet and the ability to jump, the strength and so on and on.

Messi is still "better" but on some occasions Ronaldo's ability will come into play. Meaning that if you lack in some departments, you better make it up for it in others and plenty...

Konno is better on the ball but for me it doesn't outweigh his physical lack of things...

If he would be a really great tackler and idk what else I would say no problem, but the thing is, he aint...

23. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    That's common knowledge but this is not the case of a Messi vs Ronaldo but a very good center back against X number of taller but average center backs. The very good one wins.
    Balotelli dominated everybody but Konno. But this is going to be forgotten because he's not 197cm.

I really wanna blast the GIF of Yoshida being schooled by Giaccherini on the OG.

24. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You want to convince me that Japan has two very good center backs in defense?

Depends how you look at it. World stage WC they are not very good compared to the others in fact they may be bellow the OK mark in my humble opinion. In Yoshida even with his ridiculous mistakes and what not he made I still see a good center back in Konno I aint seeing that

P.S. Yoshida schooled himself in that instance. That was kinder garden league type of mistake

Look Saku I aint fooling myself I believe we will see the same pairing in 2014 and I also explained why I think so... I however am in the camp who would wish to find a solution and probably a replacement for Konno in the starting line up.

If after testing several options there is no better one fine... go with Konno but can you at least test them first, since the central defense is suffering right now

25. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    I don't want to convince anyone of anything and I have lost the will to argue on BS Japan, if you think that's how it is, that's fine. You have your arguments.