Japan @ Asian Cup 2019

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Dax, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    By FIFA standards since the world cup I guess I have to accept that. But it is still no PK for me. As I posted in the AFC tournaments thread it's the same as the controversial handball called on Portugal against Iran. Nobody jumps with their arms tucked at their sides and Yoshida's wasn't even in the direction of the goal.

seolseol repped this.
  2. Teufelhundt2106

Teufelhundt2106 New Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Kagawa was not ever a top premier league talent.

3. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I agree. It's our fault first and foremost. I just don't want us to be like our fellows in that part of the world where it's really difficult to admit to mistakes and resort to conspiracy theories whenever a loss occurs.

seolseol repped this.
  4. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Disappointing result, but a good learning experience.

I wouldn't be so hard on some of the players. Don't forget that this is the first International tournament ever for Doan, Minamino, and Tomiyasu. Not to mention our manager.

I think that players and manager now understand what it takes to win an international tournament. It's not like a league where you can make a little mistake and get away with it. There was a certain naivety among the players and managers when it came to the level of play.

Tournaments are unforgiving, unlike leagues, and you have to make the most of your opportunities and you cannot take even the slightest chance for the opposition for granted.

I think the next time they play in a tournament we'll see tighter marking and less space given to the opposition.

Kajisan, mushu21_2 and HTCONEM8 repped this.
  5. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    I hope Nakamura or Schmidt can replace Gonda as the no.1 GK for Japan, really don't think he is that good.
    Meanwhile, I hope Ueda and Shoji can step up and replace Yoshida. Yoshida has not been performing well for the past year imo. He makes more mistakes now compared to the past.

Kakeru and seolseol repped this.
  6. Interiores

Interiores Member

East Tokyo United
    Japan
    Jun 3, 2016
    Japan
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I thought Xavi was joking, we played like crap, even when we won against Iran, but this Qatar team really surprises me.

If i'm not wrong, our U-17 team also getting pummeled by them in some exhibition.

7. morimotomania93

Japan
    Jan 22, 2019
    well we lost in the hope that this defeat will make this team question itself because we have a great generation. we still have the copa america to give us back the smile ! well done qatar

8. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Fixed

9. Interiores

Interiores Member

East Tokyo United
    Japan
    Jun 3, 2016
    Japan
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    2 finals for Moriyasu and he lost both of them

seolseol repped this.
  10. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I know, but what he did individually to Kagawa was a tragedy in a bigger mess.

11. Teufelhundt2106

Nov 2, 2013
    Also Qatar, whether you buy into the conspiracy theories about their recruitment or not, Have revamped their whole program. Aspire academy is where these players train from a young age and they have world Class training and education from a young age. Every level of the NT trains there, it's purpose is to better the country's soccer talent. If this victory isn't a mirage, they've accomplished their mission just in time

_katsukun_, HTCONEM8 and Interiores repped this.
  12. Interiores

Interiores Member

East Tokyo United
    Japan
    Jun 3, 2016
    Japan
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    True, but what Moyes did to him, just made him worse. by miles.

Kakeru repped this.
  13. _katsukun_

_katsukun_ Member

n/a
    Japan
    Jun 23, 2010
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The importing of young foreign players is debatable but you still have to get those players to a certain level once they arrive I suppose. So I'm guessing they did some serious thinking about player development too.

That striker for instance Aalmoez Ali, he wasn't the big hero when he came to Qatar only to have played in regional divisions in Spain and Austria. The other guy who scored 2x today even failed at Toyokawa's Eupen a few years ago.

Interiores and HTCONEM8 repped this.
  14. Teufelhundt2106

Nov 2, 2013
    Sack moriyasu now, he's not pragmatic at all. We need that in our next coach

seolseol repped this.
  15. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Nope, but he would have been a good fit under a manager who knows how to use his skillset. It was rumoured that Sir Alex wanted to let play Robin van Persie as a striker and Shinji behind him on a more permanent basis; the old Scot knew that Wayne Rooney would be declining severely.

16. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Won under Zico and Zac and look how that turned out. Maybe better to lose and let's not forget this was very much an away tournament for teams like Japan, SK and Australia.

mushu21_2 and HTCONEM8 repped this.
  17. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Doan was a major disappointment. And to think he would've shined in this tournament.

mushu21_2, Kakeru and seolseol repped this.
  18. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeh he won a soft PK against Vietnam that was about it

seolseol repped this.
  19. Keren

Keren Member+

Feb 15, 2013
    France
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #694 Keren, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    So disappointed to lose against an artificial team...
    We have just witnessed live the act 1 of a farce expected to last about 4 years.

2022 WC final : Qatar - France. Dream bigger. :ROFLMAO:

To say something about JNT : at the risk of sounding sore loser, I would just remind you how many players we had to play without, I won't mention all of them (almost 11 guys) but I can't prevent myself from thinking about the added value of someone like Nakajima when Qatar parked the bus in second half...

Seriously, beating Iran in view of these difficulties, I wouldn't have believed it possible. It was a decent tournament overall.

I would have liked us to play Qatar with our full team but oh well, we shouldn't stop at a loss vs an overcheated team (and at least they have finally conceded a goal...)

We currently have a generation good enough to spend some beautiful moments.

Remain optimistics.

Yamato Damashii repped this.
  20. Interiores

Interiores Member

East Tokyo United
    Japan
    Jun 3, 2016
    Japan
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Minamino still has a balls to update his Instastory, FFS:ROFLMAO:

seolseol repped this.
  21. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    We really got some lucky victories in this tournament, after what it was Japan's worst performance in an Asian Cup since 1988, so it is not about this match only.

His in-game management, not using substitution until it is too late, and sticking with the same formation and same game-plan regardless of the opposition and situation, in all of these aspects he proved to be the worst in Japan NT history since Shu Kamo.

Kakeru and seolseol repped this.
  22. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Not sure what you mean, he clearly changed the formation and Japan took control already in the first half. Just lost to two good goals.

23. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It happened 4 years ago albeit in Handball o_O

24. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    in 2022 Nakajima will play for Qatar!

rougou repped this.
  25. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Yuo, better to lose now than to stop at the Round of 16 or even crash out in the group stages 3 years later. Right now, at least Moriyasu know what flaws Japan has and a better idea of who the starting 11 should be. Hopefully, he can use this chance to phase out players like Yoshida gradually and replace them with new blood.

Hopefully, Ueda can perform well too so as to give an additional option to the JNT other than only Tomiyasu and Shoji. Not sure how is he performing lately, lol.

Samurai Warrior repped this.