January Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ripmstr, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Pennant is a small lost that no one will cry over. Let's face it, he's not good enough and he wouldn't fit in Arsenal's style of playing. He'll probably to heading to one of the mid-table teams next year, where he will do well.
    As for Freddie and Lauren, they want to stay in the club and I don't see why they would be leaving any time soon. And Edu has not performed well enough so far this year to convince me that he will be a big lost for the team.
    The biggest problem is Campbell, but again he says that he's happy in Arsenal and I don't see him leaving the club soon.

2. Suckafree

Suckafree Member

Sep 16, 2002
    B-Town
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal reserve keeper Stuart Taylor is close to signing for Leicester

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3170750

I know that he has moved down the line quite a bit. I thought that he showed promise when he filled in for Seaman a few years ago. But obviously Arsene sees it differently. Good luck to him if this is the case.

3. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. aswn

aswn New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    I feel davids is not the solution. The midfeild is fine. We have both power and pace there. Patrick was back to his best against sppurs and that is good for the future. All players have a quiet spell. I feel that we do need to buy a defender. One that can lead and has a good positioal sense. Cygan lacks both this and pace. I think we need Ayala at Valencia. No messing

5. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Chivu!!! solves so many problems

6. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    As I've said before, I think in the wake of DB10's retirement we will need someone to provide quality distribution and Beckham might have been able to do that job. However, every time I watch him play, I become less and less convinced that he has the desire or the fitness to be truly top class again. Right now, if it's between him and Freddie I'd take Freddie; especially with our dutch maestro talking about playing till he's 38!

A keeper, young right back (not convinced by Justin Hoyte) and experienced centre half and we're set. I think in just about every other position we have quality young players on the brink of coming through.

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

and they would be useless anyway... trust me, if Arsene thought having Henry in the box defending against a freekick would stop you from conceeding goals from set pieces, trust me, he would be there... you can score from build up too... i've seen it too many times. I honestly hope you guys get nobody and that you Sol leaves!!!! well, that's honest isn't it? ;)

8. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    i hope Forlan comes back to Man U and to top it off Cygan goes too
    you'd win everything

9. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Next time we are defending a corner or a free-kick around the box, count how many of our players are back in our own area. More often than not (I'd say about 95% of the time and those outside the box are about a yard outside) it is eleven. We never, ever leave anyone up the pitch. The speed of our counter attacks is even more incredible because of this way of defending set-pieces.

10. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might want to watch Cygan's marking on the last goal and his general confusion on set pieces. You'll see he is out of position nearly every time. He is not covering a player and is not in position to intercept the ball. You could see the rest of the defense telling him where to be on set pieces but he looked completely lost. On the last goal, he was standing on the right side of the field within a foot of Kolo, even though the ball had been played down the left (until Henry lost it) and Kanoute was moving towards the box on the left. Lauren and Kolo had the right side of the field well covered and midfield help was moving to cover. There was no reason Cygan should have been anywhere near where he was. He has some of the worst positioning of any defender I've seen at top EPL clubs. Some of that could be coaching but at this level the player must have basic marking and positioning down pat. Cygan doesn't.

Please don't even joke about that.

I wish. He looks amazing and would give fit right into our style of play. However, everyone knows about him now and he'd be very expensive. I'd rather we spend our transfer funds shoring up the defense with a top quality CB.

12. No1ArsenalFan

No1ArsenalFan New Member

May 6, 2004
  13. No1ArsenalFan

No1ArsenalFan New Member

May 6, 2004
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com...&CLID=3&lid=&title=Wenger+admires+Italian+duo

If he admires them that much I think we r going to make a swoop for both of them in January. Unlikely we will get Gattuso but don't be suprised if we do because of the money we got for the sponsor and Gilbero out for the season.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com...&CLID=3&lid=&title=Gilberto+could+miss+season

and Wenger both worried about Fabregas's fatigue and Edu's contract we need another midfielder.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com...ID=3&lid=&title=Wenger+fears+Fabregas+fatigue

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=239012&CPID=8&CLID=3&lid=&title=Wenger's+Edu+worry

Finally does anyone know anything about Oddo I've never heard of him but Wenger seems too admire him highly which is good enough for me although he is a defender and Wenger can really spot defenders can't he. Pascal Cygan for instance LOL.

No1ArsenalFan

14. babyduck85

babyduck85 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Malaysia
    has sol seriously not signed a new contract STILL?? that's crazy. we can't lose him b'coz everyone knows the stats of goals conceded when he's out... i would still want wenger to get another CB, but we must have sol too, cuz he just gives us security and confidence. pay the man as much as he wants...

i would like a new keeper, but like the others have said, not an old guy like lehmann or van de sar. we need to find a young yet experienced keeper like CECH (why the ************ didn't wenger get him before those people did??) or even green, assuming he can cope with the pressure.

i don't want him signing any more "young talents" right now cuz he doesn't seem to be using the ones he has properly anyway... we need experienced players who can fit in with our style of play - is that asking for too much?

anyway, apparently wenger's only making one signing so at best, either the GK or CD problem will be solved, not both. that still leaves chelsea with the most solid defense in the prem... yay.

15. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Probably something to do with the amount of money available for transfer at Chelsea versus the amount available at Arsenal. But that's just a guess, though.
    Sure. Let's just go ahead and sign Buffon and Nesta. Any idea how you'd like Wenger to arrange the funding?

Sure, signing an Eboue is not terribly exciting news but I don't know that Wenger has that much room to play with as far as spending without selling off a Ljungberg or a Vieira first. How many experienced centrebacks who can fit into a passing-style offensive scheme can you think of as being available on transfer? And how many would actually be available at Arsenal's price range?

16. No1ArsenalFan

No1ArsenalFan New Member

May 6, 2004
    LEDLY KING and he would be at are price tage despite what the Spurs Fans say

No1ArsenalFan

17. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
  18. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Could we a have a 'Rumour' thread separate from the January "wish" list? I'm all for discussing possible changes/additions of personnel, but, sometimes I just want to tune in and find out what's coming down the "GRAPEVINE"!

19. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I want Stevie G. :D

20. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Pink is reporting that Edu won't sign a new contract and wants out!

21. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sportscenter here in the US is reporting that David Beckham will be joining Arsenal for 18 million. Euros, I assume.

22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah I saw that... I was really utterly shocked by it, but don't take it too seriously, they mentioned it for 2 reasons.

Beckham is about the only soccer player most Americans can remember other than Pele (if that) and Arsenal are coming off of their long streak which was also covered (incorrectly so) by sportscenter...

also, I'm not sure bout the currency, I saw it but was not paying too much attention but I saw his picture and then muted my stereo to turn the tv up and was in shock just to see it on TV - however, in going with U.S. Media policy I think they'd convert it to Dollars since that whayt they generally do.

23. rgrayson

rgrayson New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    its around 18m us$ and personally Id rather Mutu :p

24. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please let ESPN be wrong like usual. Becks doesn't appear anywhere on my wishlist for Arsenal. For that much money we could add a few player who could actually improve the team and add much needed depth at critical positions.

25. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    example?