January Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Fulhamfc3, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    So someone like Quetin Westberg. He was in last years U-17 World Cup.

2. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    No, not him. I think he has a nice spot on a A-League team. They would ask way too much for him. wink wink, nudge, nudge.......

3. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
  4. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    Selling Steed would make me question my status as a Fulham fan.

I think he's 24 or 25 (although he looks 60), he's been one of the best players the last few years as well. I think the guys got loads of potential although he disappears for spells during a game. It'd be the wrong message to send to the club to sell one of their best young players midway through the season.

5. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Selling Steed and his dirty moustache would be a mistake in my opinion as well. If he was 30 or 31, I could understand the decision to sell him, but he is part of the long term future of Fulham. We have enough problems as it is. If you want to sell someone, sell Andy Cole, not Steed. It is vital to keep Steed.

6. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    How is selling Cole a right move? Hes our leading goalscorer. Steed has been playing below average football lately selling him may not be that bad.Fulham can use the 6 mil to buy other players.

7. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    He is much, much older and chances are he is not in the long term plans of Fulham. That is why.

8. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I will still take Steed. I think he will help the club now and in the future. Buying players does not always mean success. remember Leeds?

9. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    He still has a good 2 years left.Malbranque will get you a good 6 mil and you can always buy players.

10. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    I don't think buying more players is what this club needs right now. We bought a ton of players in the offseason. I've said a few times, this team is really good on paper. They're just not mixing well right now and playing as a team. It takes a while to get used to playing with new players and mixing it further won't help our situation.

I'm prepared to ride this season out if cookie can get these guys to play well together.

11. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
  12. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    I dunno about this one. I'm not sure he's really an upgrade at the position, and we won't get any cash. I'd wait to see if something better turns up. If we wait til summer though, someone else will just front the cash and buy him because he is out of contract.

I also think its funny that ManU's budget is already gone spending it on boy wonder rooney

13. American Mike

American Mike New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Was NY, Now London
    If VDS wants to go, get him out in January and get some money for him. If there is one thing this needs, its players who are proud to be FULHAM. VDS was one of those guys for many years but if he now wants to leave, we might as well get some money...plus his wages are outrageous!

14. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I agree on getting some money for Eddy. He is one of the most valuable players, in terms of worth and money, and it would not be right to get nothing for him.

15. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    We need to get some kind of money for VDS.He is about 90% sure that he will leave so why would Coleman not sell him.I mean we could use the money.

About Carroll.Not really a great signing. Hes a good keeper and only 27-29(?) but,can make mistakes just like VDS. We really need a keeper in January not June.

16. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Keepers are going to make mistakes now and again. The difference between Carroll and Van Der Sar is age. I am not saying that I think Carroll is the answer, but he would not be a terrible option. Anytime you can get a keeper in their 20's, you know he still has some years ahead of him for the club. As I have said before, when buying players, we need to think about the long term future of the club. We do not need quick fixes, we need long-term permanent ones.

17. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    To me, Carroll isn't a long term solution though...We should get rid of VDS if we can get some money for him and we'll need another keeper, but I'd like to see more from Carroll before I'd say I want to see him around the Cottage for the long haul...

18. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I do not necessarily think that Carroll is the answer, but it would be a step in the right direction. I do think he would be a long term solution. He is 27 years old and if we signed him I do not think he is the ambitious type and want to jump ship. He simply wants regular first team football and he would get this chance at Fulham. I hope the team does find someone else, but if Carroll is the man, I will not be disappointed.

19. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Lyon anyone?Carroll is like VDS he will have a great match then when you need him to make a save he dosent.Carroll is an ok keeper thats it.

20. natewhd

natewhd New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    VA
    Quite possibly the most ignorant statement I've ever heard. The US is not a world class defense. We dont even have a world class player. Kellers clean sheets are because of a team that plays in CONCACAF. Maybe when some of the Lads in developmental leagues come along we'll finally have an international superstar. Right now, we dont have a defender who could make the all world 4th or 5th team. And that being generous.

21. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    NATEWHD, I agree totally with you. You must understand that FUlhamfc3 comes up with some crazy stuff on this board. I like his spirit for his club and country, but he can be off base at times. Yoiu are getting some positive reputation.

22. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    "Ignorant"?" Lets parse that last quote there.... the implication is that US is not, and can't be, a World Class Defense because it doesnt have World Class Defenders.

The Second is absolutely true... The first is ridiculous on the face of it. The apposite position is, then, that a team with World Class defenders at the back is a World Class Defense.

So all you need for a World class team is to fill it with world class players... or for a good team fill it with very good players...

Any of you remember WC 2002?!!!!!!

Strange.
    Esp considering this is a Fulham Forum and we've just watched the Columbus Crew in the playoffs
    - - - - - - -- - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I'm closer to FUlhamfc3 on this than I am to you two... And BTW, I advocate getting Keller to back Crossley till Summer, not him going to RSL.

This would give Cookie some time to line up a long term replacement for Ed

Keller evidently thinks he can walk into MLS and start and that aint gonna happen .... and that is not contradictory

23. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Yea Holding Mexico to 0 goals in the last 3 times we played them dont count.Then Holding Germany to 1 goal.Holding Netherlands to 1 goal nah that dont count.The USA dont have any world class defenders but, Its a team sport not a 1 player sport. Greece proved that.

24. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Alot of people say that the USA plays sh** teams well since 2002 they have played alot of good teams.

Korea-2002 Gold Cup
    Costa Rica-2002 Gold Cup
    Ireland-Road to the WC 2002
    Germany-RTWC 2002
    Netherlands-RTWC 2002
    Mexico-2002 Freindly
    Portugal-2002 WC
    Korea-2002 WC
    Poland-2002 WC
    Mexico-2002 WC
    Germany-2002 WC

Argentina-2003 Freindly
    Costa Rica-2003 Gold Cup
    Brasil-2003 Confederations Cup
    Turkey-2003 Confederations Cup
    Cameroon-2003 Confedrations Cup
    Brasil-2003 Gold Cup
    Mexico-2003 Freindly

Netherlands-2004 Freindly
    Poland-2 times 2004 Freindlies
    Jamaica-2004 WCQ 2 times
    Mexico-2004 Freindly

24 matches that the USA has played since 2002 that was against good teams.Most of those matches were meaningful even the RTWC matches because the teams we played was getting ready for the WC. The Mexico matches are also meaningful because its a rivalry. The Netherlands match in 2004 had most of their best players and they were getting ready for the Euro 2004.

25. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I am not sure I quite understand this, but I will give it a shot. Simply filling a team with world class defenders does not amke you a world class team, but it definitely helps. I think the US has some up and coming defenders on the national team. I am not going to sit here and debate club and country with you guys though. Fulhamfc3 is adament in all his posts and he clearly wants and cares more about the US national team than Fulham. He always posts how great US players are and while some of them are good, they are not always the best. His idea of a great signing is gettinga US player. He was suggesting Fulham sign the US under 17 keeper. That is dumb. That is the problem I see sometimes with these message boards is that many people from the US always feel the team is getting slighted or disrespected by everyone. Well, the bottom line is that the US has had one good World Cup. ONE!!! While things are looking up for the team, it does not mean that every player on the team is deserving of a spot in the Premiership. And there is no way I want Fulham to drag Keller's tired old bones into London.