january roster

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by luvdagame, Jan 3, 2021.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  2. crossbarsave

crossbarsave Member

Reign FC
    United States
    Feb 4, 2019
    I believe they’re referring to last January’s camp where they had Pugh train even though she didn’t make the roster. The way it’s written, however, doesn’t make it clear.

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way I read the article, it seems pretty clear that its referring to last January when Pugh was, in fact, called in to train but left off the roster.

But as for January 2021 camp, in September, the dates were reported to fall in the window of January 9-29 (yes, in fact that is most of the month). So, I'm hoping for a roster soon if the camp is actually happening.

4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    yes.

apologies.

reading it properly, rather than skimming thru makes it pretty obvious.

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    January roster is out, and we get games! Camp will be January 9-22 in Orlando, and will conclude with 2 games against Colombia, on Jan. 18 (7 p.m. ET on FS1) and Jan. 22 (7 p.m. ET on ESPN2). Each game will have an 18-player roster. Both games will be open to a limit of 4,000 ticketed fans, and tickets go on sale January 13. I'm just going to tag @jackdoggy here.

Camp roster:
    GOALKEEPERS (4): Aubrey Bledsoe (Washington Spirit), Jane Campbell (Houston Dash), Ashlyn Harris (Orlando Pride), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars)

DEFENDERS (10): Alana Cook (Paris Saint-Germain, FRA), Abby Dahlkemper (North Carolina Courage), Tierna Davidson (Chicago Red Stars), Crystal Dunn (Portland Thorns FC), Emily Fox (UNC), Ali Krieger (Orlando Pride), Kelley O’Hara (Washington Spirit), Margaret Purce (Sky Blue FC), Becky Sauerbrunn (Portland Thorns FC), Emily Sonnett (Washington Spirit)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Julie Ertz (Chicago Red Stars), Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns FC), Jaelin Howell (Florida State), Rose Lavelle (Manchester City, ENG), Catarina Macario (Stanford), Kristie Mewis (Houston Dash), Samantha Mewis (Manchester City, ENG), Andi Sullivan (Washington Spirit)

FORWARDS (5): Carli Lloyd (Sky Blue FC), Mallory Pugh (Chicago Red Stars), Megan Rapinoe (OL Reign), Sophia Smith (Portland Thorns FC), Lynn Williams (North Carolina Courage)

jackdoggy and TimB4Last repped this.
  6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 lil_one, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    Roster notes from US Soccer's website:
    -Lloyd, Pugh, Horan, and Sullivan all make their return to camps after being away with either injury/illness. Rapinoe, Krieger, and Harris also get called in after missing the trip to the Netherlands.
    -Fox gets her first call-up since January 2019.
    -Morgan was ruled out, of course, after testing positive for COVID-19.
    -Press is recovering fitness after being ill (not COVID) and is staying in Manchester.
    -Heath was invited into camp, but opted to stay in Manchester.
    -Macario is still not eligible to play in an international match, but is in the final stages of the process.

No Franch (injury?), Gautrat, or Short, but no mention of why.

jackdoggy repped this.
  7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Media call with Andonovski happening now, and tidbits of info from it are showing up on social media:

8. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Surprised Carli and Rapinoe got called up. Figure they were out of shape and haven’t played soccer for almost a year.

9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Ya, this is the weakest forward group on a roster in a long time.

10. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    he's got to call them up and put them thru their paces. no?

they have the skill and experience to help win gold. he has to check/know for sure.

would've been surprised if he hadn't called them in.

11. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    No. If they are not playing, call in someone else. How long has it been since either of them played a competitive match? If they are interested in playing, they can get themselves on a club team and show that they are in form.

When was the last time either of them played a competitive match?

Frankly, I'm a little surprised Mal was called in, too.

12. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So, Mallory Pugh, Sophia Smith, and Lynn Williams may be our starting forwards? If Colombia were a good team I'd be worried.

I think Williams will probably run wild against Colombia; if Pugh doesn't show up big time it may be sayonara for her.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    in a system where the clubs are really paying the bills and bringing in the $$ (like meso)? absolutely, yes!

we're getting there. but while we move toward that system? no.

unfortunately, we have to lean on the ussoccer contact system for a while longer. they still hold the best cards in american (& maybe world) woso.

14. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    contract.

not contact.

15. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That's the crux of it. The men don't have guaranteed spots, paydays, whether they are playing or not.

Pinoe has voluntarily sat out for a lonnnnnng time. She knows that she'll always be on a WNT roster when she wants. And, if she isn't she can question the manager's motives, like she did with Jill Ellis.

Like with Morgan. She doesn't have to be Covid careful, she's still going to get paid.

16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I heard their going to allow 4 thousand fans to the game. Guess Orlando’s desperate for tourist money

17. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    MLS has allowed limited fans inside during their season. So not surprised they allowing fans in.

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It’s just that it’s now Covid’s got triple the death toll than it was in MLS’s last game in October

sweepsit and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  19. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    yes. we agree.

i'm adding that the coach, in his choice of players, cannot pretend that the clubs wield the power. no matter how his former colleagues, their owners and i squeal about it.

20. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any videos of day 1 training made available anywhere?

21. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Last time Lloyd and Rapinoe played, they both looked slow to me. Rapinoe especially. I don't understand why this coach is still brining in all the old war horses for a January friendly??? At some point we need to move on and that point is NOW. Give them an Abby or Lilly and tell them thanks but they're done. If they come, they will expect to play and its not just the two I named... we must move on

22. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Especially with a long camp and a relatively weak opponent. Its all set up for the older players who are not playing to stat pad their way to the next camp. Then again, its been like this for a while and as long as they win, very few care.

23. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    if the young 'uns have surpassed rapinoe and lloyd, they'll make it, and the old guard will be eased out. vlatko wants to win. He's not going to be leaving out the better players.

which other players are done?

24. PortiereNuovo

PortiereNuovo Member

Jun 20, 2019
    Taking an unfit Rapinoe to Rio instead of HAO was one of Jill Ellis' worst mistakes. In a compact tournament with a lot of 3 day windows, everyone has to be able to contribute except maybe the backup keeper. I hope Vlatko only selects Rapinoe and Lloyd if they are actually better than the alternatives, rather than for seniority and contract reasons. I'm pretty skeptical that either should be in an 18-women roster. But I guess we'll see.

I would add Krieger and Harris to the past it list.

25. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here