Pre-match: January/February 2022 WCQ Roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Jan 9, 2022.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    We're less than 2 weeks away from seeing the callups, but we don't really have a general squad speculation thread yet for the upcoming matches.

The US enters late January in second place with 15 points and a 4-3-1 record, with matches against El Salvador (Columbus - Jan 27), in Canada (Hamilton - Jan 30), and Honduras (Minneapolis - Feb 2).

A group of 20 MLS-based players have been called in to a separate training camp in Phoenix. But Berhalter might need to rely on a more heavily European-based group than normal, since they are the players that are in-season.

And there is also the concern of any US players coming down with COVID at a bad time - notably, Sergino Dest and Joe Scally have had to sit out in the last few weeks because of it.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Strikers:
    Pepi got his debut. His touch was poor. Now needs to shake the rust off.
    Still awaiting Dike's debut with West Brom.
    Hoppe is back. He got sub's minutes.
    Jordan: unfortunately, the Swiss league doesn't start until the 29th!

OWN(yewu)ED, schrutebuck and Winoman repped this.
  3. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont think the mls guys being out of season is going to matter at all, certainly not in selection. berhalters done everything he can to keep them going so i just cant see how hes going to cite a lack of whatever (fitness, sharpness or even match fitness- what are they, yunus musah?) now.

if he didnt think these two camps were enough he wouldnt have done them. and i dont think there are many super close decisions (for him) anyways.

gk- steffen, turner and whoever, as usual.

rb/lb- 4 or 5 of dest, robinson, yedlin, cannon, scally and vines.

cb- mrob, zim, brooks and richards are the core, right? or is brooks out? are mrob/zim being out of season really going to open the door for ccv? miazga? if anything itll be mckenzie. and (this goes for a couple of other guys as well) does getting their first action in a month or more really going to move anyone up the charts that much (meaning miazga)? i expect the first four and mckenzie.

dm- adams and acosta are a given. sands is the most likely omission due to being out of season and freshly moved. i doubt that opens a door for tessman (i think him as a 6 is still a bit of a bs theory anyways), but busio is probably as safe a pick as anyone with so many guys in the cm pool being mls-based.

cm- mckennie, musah are surely locks. busio (however hes used). this is where i think we will see that being out of season isnt going to determine anything cause i still expect roldan and lletget. id be more surprised by de la torre making it than yueill.

im not sure why we are acting like berhalter is going to go away from his guys here more than any other window. hes going to go with who hes comfortable with just like he always does. injury/covid are the only actual variables.

on the wings pulisic is...yikes, the fittest and most available. weah and reyna- who knows? hoppe (again- one match back)? i think morris is pretty likely, no clue if im in the majority or minority here but if hes fit hes in. "sharpness" is a luxury we simply dont have- and id have him in anyways.

(in reading back over this i realized i completely blanked on aaronson, just mentioning that to correct it and so you can laugh at me if you want)

i think konrad is similar to de la torre (and possibly ccv) in that gregg just doesnt rate him. his playing time/form certainly hasnt helped. personally i think he (and busio, for that matter) dont fit what we do, but i dont know how its gonna shake out. pulisic, morris, hoppe, arriola and konrad just to have as many options as possible on hand? this is probably the "position" most likely to be inexplicably thin (theres been one every window). pulisic, morris and arriola, with roldan as a tweener- would that surprise anyone? this is why im just not seeing "out of season" as this huge obstacle we have to predict around. i just dont think its going to matter.

up top, who knows? heres where i mention for the umpteenth time that gregg didnt bring in a single player who had joined a new team in the first qualifying window. half a dozen guys that you would think would have been in that first roster werent- it was an across the board cut. either that becomes even more inexplicable in hindsight or it really hamstrings us again.

id guess it will be pepi, zardes and throw ferreira in here (cause i think he will be involved period, just as cover for 8 or 9 spots). i expect dike to be left out, and gregg with a straight face saying stuff about needing rest and getting settled with his new team. p-funk is a toss-up id say- he went into their winter break with a hell of a bang, but has been out for a little while and i think hes well behind pepi/zardes regardless (according to berhalter). i mean, white clearly isnt a viable option at this point and nothings changed with sarge. what variables am i missing here?

overall i dont think this is as mysterious as its being made out to be. i dont think mls being out of season is going to matter in terms of selection and i do think weve got a lot of guys in weird places (dest isnt playing, has been covid adjacent- are we really going to leave him out though?). we have reached early 00s arsenal-levels of ankle knocks and muscle pulls stretching out over months. i cant imagine leaving out everyone whos moved, but we have that precedent in the only prior occurrence of a transfer window.

i think its going to be like every other window.

Guinho repped this.
  4. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    #4 Maximum Optimal, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    The situation is pretty fluid for the wide attacking players. If Reyna and Weah play this week or next I think they will be called up. If not, Arriola and Morris will get the nods. Pulisic and Aaronson are healthy and fit and would presumably get at least two starts each in the next window.

RossD and Winoman repped this.
  5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The midseason break continues through the end of the month for Aaronson, as Salzburg's first match back occurs on February 6. But they have a bunch of friendlies in the next 3 weeks.

6. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Guys like Pefok and Aaronson will be pretty much in mid-season form. They are not going to lose fitness and the friendlies will keep them sharp. If anything the breaks will put a little extra spring into their legs.

7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Center back is probably the spot with the most potential for a wildly unusual player selection, since it's the one most directly impacted by the MLS offseason, and there are also the intriguing questions of John Brooks and Aaron Long.

-Miles Robinson and Walker Zimmerman are in mini-Camp Cupcake in Phoenix. I think it may be risky to rely on both as every match starters when they are out of season. That would likely impact Zimmerman more than Robinson, whose starting spot is likely secure.
    -Chris Richards continues to play a good chunk of matches for 3rd place Hoffenheim. I think it's very likely that he starts at least 1 of the 3 upcoming matches.
    -Mark McKenzie has earned a bit more playing time in Belgium since November. Performances for the US have been okay. But I don't think he's quite locked anything down for either league or national team.
    -Tim Ream continues to do his thing for Fulham, starting 22 out of 23 matches. He's likely only a situational option IMO, although he was effective against El Salvador in the away match.
    -We got a rare sighting of Matt Miazga this weekend for Alaves, as he's otherwise been stuck on the bench in Spain and has been an outsider for the US since Nations League.
    -James Sands will be getting back into match shape quickly in Scotland, but I feel like he's more likely as a CM option for the US in the long-term.
    -John Brooks continues to be a mystery man for both Wolfsburg and the national team. Wolfsburg sounded like they were done with him at the end of 2021, but he's been playing and suddenly there's a new contract on offer. And his national team role has fluctuated in 2021 and in prior years as well. What role will he play in 2022?
    -Is Berhalter ready to bring Aaron Long back into the first-team?
    -And there are potentially a few other MLS guys and CCV who could be considered if Berhalter has to reach down the depth chart.

QuakeAttack and Marko72 repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There's no indication that Weah is back in training (that I've seen).
    I think he's extremely questionable for this roster.
    Reyna is at least fully training with Dortmund. We'll just have to see what kind of form he's in if he gets game time this week.

I'm not sure about Morris. We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if its Ferreira that gets that nod instead. He can also play forward or on the wing. Also an attacking central midfield position in a pinch, which he did previously for FCD.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Wide attacking players---
    Pulisic: has been getting minutes. Looks fit and ready.
    Weah: injured. Is not a known fast healer.
    Aaronson: on winter break. Should be fit and ready
    Reyna: is back in training. Can also play wide forward.
    Niko: has been getting minutes for Montpelier.
    Konrad: has been effective in a super-sub role.
    Mueller: can he hit the ground running in the SPL?

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Weah is unavailable I'd like Morris to be there. Big need for one of the forward/ wingers to stretch the field as we saw even Arriola added that but Weah and Morris are better at crosses and finishing than Arriola.

jazzhands and Orioles Magic repped this.
  11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure about Morris. He should be considered a lock. He's started recent games & looked fit. Has a history of being clutch & translating to NT. One of the best wing and cf options. Super valuable player for this camp.

Reyna also has to be considered valuable. He can be the bunker-breaking 10, when we play 2 weak opponents at home. Also, he can man the wing, as he's always done before. Given how advanced he already is in training, I think I'd be willing to start him a few weeks from now, even if he's only coming off the bench for BVB until then.

Pepi, Dike, Ferreira, Morris, Pulisic, Aaronson, Reyna cover all the fw & a-mid spots. Weah will be a bonus, if healthy enough to play some role. This murkiness if a player or two are starting fit axes Konrad, because that was his role, if he has any.

12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Reyna seems to be the major health-related question. Perhaps Dest as well, as he was just on the bench and didn't play.

Weah seems out, which is very USA, as he had just really become a big threat for us.

The only real questions I think in this roster are:
    1. Is Brooks back in the US' plans?
    2. Is it Morris or Arriola who gets Weah's spot?
    3. Who's the #2 striker assuming Pepi is #1? Do we carry a third striker, especially since Weah was one of the emergency strikers?
    4. Who are the backup 8s?
    5. Does Scally make the roster?

13. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    1. I can't speculate.
    2. I'm leaning "Morris," but believe his minutes will need to be managed, which likely brings Arriola into play.
    3. Pefok. Zardes is probably #3.
    4. Busio and probably De La Torre, Roldan being the third option. Acosta is still probably the top backup #6, even out of season.
    5. If he's healthy, yes.

Bajoro and gogorath repped this.
  14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah and Reyna seem like the most questionable health-wise. Reyna seems on track to be available (though maybe not play many minutes) and Weah seems questionable. If he's not at least on the bench this weekend then he's almost certainly out (with the roster likely to be named on the 19th or 20th based on past practice). It's also likely we'll have some unexpected COVID absences. Scally might be a close call given he currently has COVID

I'm also guessing Aaron Long won't be quite ready given that he wasn't healthy enough to dress for the December game and just generally hasn't played a competitive game in some time.

So I'm guessing the roster will be close to the following

GK: Steffen, Turner, Johnson
    LB: A. Robinson, Vines
    CB: M. Robinson, Richards, Zimmerman, Brooks, McKenzie
    RB: Dest, Yedlin, Scally
    DM: Adams, Acosta
    CM: McKennie, Musah, Busio, Roldan, Lletget
    WF: Pulisic, Reyna, Arriola, Aaronson, Morris
    FW: Pepi, Zardes, Ferreira

QuakeAttack, Winoman and gogorath repped this.
  15. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    We're short or healthy wingers and have some depth at RB so I could potentially see using Dest on the RW.

Three and Three repped this.
  16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some updates from Berhalter from the press conference he appears to be currently giving

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its worth highighting this quote too. The implication is that we're going to call up a larger group this window to account for potential COVID issues. He mentions "extra players." Makes sense. So perhaps some of these fringe guys will be named. Even a young keeper like Slonina. What happens if there's a keeper COVID outbreak? We should put one in solitary confinement. So maybe some fringe guys that are part of this camp, like say Yueill, will be on the squad.
    [​IMG]

jnielsen, Bajoro, xbhaskarx and 3 others repped this.
  18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like if there is a keeper COVID outbreak and all 3 are suddenly out, the replacemeent has to be Guzan. Given his experience he's the one I'd be most comfortable throwing out there for qualifiers in an emergency.

In the lead up to the Euros Spain had all their top guys not on the roster training in a separate bubble specifically with this contingency in mind. I'm wondering if it's something we should replicate with whoever doesn't make the roster from this camp.

19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Larry Henry also noted this comment about Jesus Ferreira on Twitter.

Gregg Berhalter on Jesus Ferreira: "I've always thought highly of him. I see him as a No. 9, I think he can do a great job there. He can score goals, he can drop into midfield, and press. It's been nice to see his development. He's got a high ceiling." #USMNT #FCDallas

I expect to see Ferreira around again in two weeks. Maybe Berhalter picks 4 strikers this time - Pepi, Ferreira, Zardes, and either Pefok or Dike.

20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 Eleven Bravo, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    A lot depends on (A) the recovery of Reyna and Weah (and to a lesser extent Hoppe, Long, Ledezma, etc (B) the performance of players in the pre-camp, and (C) Covid.

On Covid, without getting into any sort of weird partisan political debate, Covid is spreading like wild fire right now. I pray that Berhalter is doing everything he can to keep the players isolated. It would be terrible to see our whole team go down if we’re not being careful.

On Camp, who’s performing well? Who’s not? There might be a few that can impress enough to earn a spot.

On the recovering players, especially with Reyna and Weah, we’ll just have to wait and see. It would be ideal if we could just get them back able to at least play a sub role for the team.

Because of these factors, plus the three games and plus the players carrying yellows, I contend we should call in at least 30 players.

That said, my selections based on who I predict will be available...

GK: Turner, Steffen (Y), Johnson
    FB: Dest, Scally, Yedlin (Y), A. Robinson, Bello
    CB: Brooks (Y), M. Robinson, Zimmerman, Richards, Carter-Vickers
    DM: Adams (Y), Acosta, Johnny
    MF: Reyna**, McKennie, Musah, Busio, Bassett
    WF: Pulisic, B. Aaronson, Konrad, Morris, Arriola (not popular but I suspect he’ll be there), Weah** (unlikely to be there)
    FW: Pepi, Zardes (not the popular choice), Pefok (Y)

My new or returning guys: Morris (he’s healthy), Konrad (we can’t ignore), Pefok (we need CFs who can score), Bassett (game winning goal gives him an edge in consideration), Johnny (desperately need to increase #6 depth and Sands/Yuiell have not impressed), Carter-Vickers (he’s earned it), and Brooks (it’s madness to cut him from the team)

Alternates: Slonina (GK), Trusty, D. Jones, Lennon, Yuiell (I know, I know), Roldan, Lletget, Mihailovic, Ferreira, Dike (new club and competition)
    ...In other words, the alternates will come from the pre-camp non-selects.

Sorry: Vines, Long (it would be crazy), Ream, Miazga, McKenzie, Cannon, Reynolds, J. Sands (new club and not necessary), Tessman, Durkin, Mendez, Hoppe** (injury recovery rules him out), Gioacchini, De la Torre, Sargent
    ...Guys on the fringe who weren’t in the pre-camp are probably going to be left off.

Not a Prayer: Guzan (GK), Horvath (GK), Herrera, Kessler (didn’t get called in), Ledezma (needs to regain fitness), Duncan, Moore, Paredes, J. Gomez, Tolkin, Che, Henry, Booth, Pomykal, Cappis, Sonora, Green, Williamson (injured), Flach, P. Aaronson, T. Tillman, M. Tillman, ChandlerMighten, Sabbi, Lewis, Mueller, Wright, White, Clark, Cowell
    ...MLS guys that were not called into pre-camp don’t have a shot. I listed some of the other YAs who have been referenced in the past year but don’t have a chance of making the roster.

Line ups:

El Salvador
    ——————Zardes————————
    Pulisic———————————Aaronson
    ————McKennie——Musah————-
    —————-(C) Adams————————
    Scally————————————Dest
    ————Richards——Miles—————-
    ————————Turner———————

Subs:
    Reyna (Aaronson)
    Busio (Musah)
    Acosta (Adams)
    Pefok (Zardes)
    Bello (Dest)...move Scally to RB

Canada
    ——————-Pepi———————
    Pulisic——————————-Aaronson
    ———McKennie——Busio————
    ——————Adams———————
    A. Robinson————————-Dest
    ————Walker——-Miles————-
    ———————Turner———————

Subs:
    Morris (Pulisic)
    Reyna (Aaronson)
    Musah (Busio)
    Acosta (McKennie)
    Yedlin (Dest)

Honduras
    ———————Pepi————————
    Pulisic———————————Aaronson
    ————McKennie——Musah————
    ———————Adams———————-
    Scally————————————Yedlin
    ————-Brooks———Richards———-
    ———————-Turner———————-

Subs:
    Pefok (Pepi)
    Busio (Musah)
    Reyna (Aaronson)
    Konrad (Pulisic)
    Dest (Scally/Yedlin)

Not used: Steffen, Johnson, CCV, Johnny, Bassett

Of note, We cannot afford to rotate Pulisic, Aaronson, McKennie, and Adams.

QuakeAttack and The Clientele repped this.
  21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ferreira is such a different type of forward for the US and MLS. He's much more of a say Spanish type. Be interesting to see what a Spanish coach can do with him at FCD this year and if he's really successful whether that could be replicated with the national team. Having a GB assistant coach FCD makes it intriguing for club and country.

schrutebuck repped this.
  22. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    This is likely going to be 95% accurate, maybe more. There really isn't much guessing with Egg. And frankly, other than the constant opportunities for the average MLS guys like Lletget/Arriola/Roldan/Acosta, there's not much to argue about. I wouldn't even be surprised if Lletget is finally dropped in favor of a guy like LdlT, but wouldn't bet on it.

The amount of discussion about whether Long will be on the team is pretty wild, too. He was already a placeholder until better options were found, he wasn't very good in MLS or the NT since 2018, and now we have probably 6-7 better players ahead of him, and I'd argue even more. But we're talking about him like he's van Dijk coming back from injury. If he puts together a full season or half season of top shelf MLS form, I'd like to think he could be a Tim Ream-type backup at his age and ability.

But other than those amusing issues at the back half of the roster, this team should be ready to go. Will the 4th window finally be the time for the team to overachieve? 7-9 points should be doable, and 7 points should probably be the expectation. So based on what we've seen up until now, we are probably looking at scraping by with 6 points, after which the Brigade will explain how we should be Over Da Moon (tm) with how the team has performed due to the myriad injuries.

schrutebuck repped this.
  23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    From another thread, a poster linked a good piece on LDLT
    Luca de la Torre | Chasing A Cup

extract:
    His ball progression is impressive in both the eye test and the statistical analysis. Thanks to Robin Wilhelmus, he’s attempted 156 progressive passes with 138 completed (88.5%). Only two of those were in his defensive third. That’s 8.19 progressive passes in the middle and final thirds per 90. Here’s how that number compares among other USMNT midfielders:

de la Torre – 8.19

Acosta – 5.13

Adams – 4.12

Lletget – 3.79

Roldan – 3.66

Busio – 2.67

McKennie – 2.50

He brings a skill we don't have in terms of CAM play. I watched a little of him at Heracles. He has worked on the things that were missing with the u20's.

I just have to add that I hope Berhalter isn't going to go thru what we went thru with Sarachan when he brought a bunch of bad fullbacks like Yedlin, Cannon, etc. The link above makes the point that LDLT is especially good at finding the fullbacks.

Personally, I'd like to see us bring Scally/Dest/Arob/Gomez.

LDLT would be somebody good to play in that middle game v. Canada. Give him Scally and Arob as fb's, resting Dest and give Gomez some minutes when Arob tires. Play Sands 6 and Adams 8 and sub in another 8 for Adams so he doesn't get overplayed.

24. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Prompted by McKennie going 120 minutes today... McKennie, Pulisic, Adams, Dest, and Miles Robinson are the field players that I would consider starting for all 3 matches.

At this point in World Cup qualifying, it shouldn't really matter to US fans whether Pulisic or whoever can play in their league match after returning to Europe on February 5.

I think you're right. Berhalter has taken a lot of the intrigue out of callup speculation in late 2021.

25. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I would definitely consider starting them all three games, especially IF we can get a lead against El Salvador and pull them on a reasonable timeline. We can't seem to do that, but if by some miracle we're up 2-0 or 3-0, Pulisic and Dest in particular would come off.

We have good backups, and that really allows us some flexibility. I'd always have one of McKennie and Adams out there except at the very end of a game, but maybe, just maybe we can get the kind of lead that doesn't require everyone to play 90?

jnielsen, Marko72 and schrutebuck repped this.