January Camp Roster Analysis

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Real Corona, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup, and given position scarcity, especially Morrow. I cannot fathom how Edgar Castillo is ahead of him. Morrow is much quicker and much stronger.

3. 1-6-3

1-6-3 Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  4. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Very cool! I wonder if it will be televised?? Doubt it... but would be neat to watch.

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    If you can ever weasel your way into one, closed door scrimmages are so freakin' cool to take in.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  6. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree about the strength thing, but as imperfect as Castillo may be, he is extraordinarily quick. Just finished watching the Tijuana v Leon game from last week and on a very fast field [turf] among very quick players, his quickness stood out and lead to numerous fouls suffered and chances created down the left flank. Morrow may be very fast and quick himself, but I doubt he is "much" quicker than Castillo if he is even equal.

7. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but being quick doesn't help if you have poor positioning and decision making skills.

Wynne is one of the fastest defenders I've ever seen...and one of the most frustrating...

8. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I assume the "yes, but" wasn't really intended for my post as I was solely addressing Castillo's quickness? I am sort of confused. :)

I share your thoughts on Wynne. He is an incredible athlete with shortcomings positionally, decision related and technique. Castillo has very good technique.

EDIT: meant to say that I share your thoughts.

bmo180 and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The positioning bit is outdated like the commentary on EJ before when came back to MLS. Players change and improve.

10. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was not intended for you. General comment.

Was an exciting prospect that could/can absolutely kill younger/inexperienced/less athletically gifted players 1 v 1. However, he was very easy to unlock with simple 1-2 passing because he had no positional awareness. Also had a dinosaur first touch. He's worked hard and improved a bit. Frustrating that he wasn't more of a complete player skill/IQ-wise because he was so gifted athletically.

Well of course they do. Some more so than others.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  11. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Castillo is better than Morrow at this point in time.

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Wynne was positionally weak when he first came into the league. He got crucified by BS after the US got annihilated in a tactical debacle of a match at Saprissa and some people can't let go or really have watched much since. He's tactically sound now. Staying in MLS as a veteran however is a bit of lottery in terms of the National team especially if you're on a mediocre team.

13. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they played 11v11 inter squad scrim today any chance of getting details on it?

14. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, I'm also curious to see how the strickers did as well as our CBs

15. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marvell Wynne has been pretty much of a disaster the last two times (Honduras, Jan 2010 Camp and Chile Jan. 2011) he has gotten a run out.

Here is an article, after the 2012 Rapids season, ended evaluating Marvell.
    http://www.burgundywave.com/colorad...arvell-wynne-rapids-2012-review-player-rating

We always knew he wasn't that great a defender, not really, but this season was often a bit of a mess. Look no further than his stinker against San Jose late in the season -- you remember, the game where he essentially provided three assists to the Quakes because he couldn't head the ball anywhere but down into the turf? With nothing but attacking players in front of him this time around, he was pretty much just a really fast dude.

If Oscar Pareja sticks around, I have an unfortunate feeling that Wynne's defensive flaws will just keep on being an issue.

16. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynne? This isn't FIFA 13 for XBOX.

17. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I checked the link and it doesn't say if is going to be televised or if is even open to the general public.

18. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada released their roster:

Goalkeepers (3): Lars Hirschfeld (Valerenga), Roberto Stillo (Genoa), Simon Thomas (unattached)
    Defenders (6): Ashtone Morgan (Toronto FC), Nana Attakora (FC Haka), Dejan Jakovic (D.C. United), Doneil Henry (Toronto FC), Mason Trafford (IFK Mariehamn), Andres Fresenga (Racing Club de Montevideo)
    Midfielders: Matt Stinson (Toronto FC), Evan James (unattached), Emmanuel Gomez (Club Atletico Griffa), Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault (unattached), Russel Teibert (Vancouver Whitecaps), Kyle Bekker (Toronto FC), Terry Dunfield (Toronto FC), Philippe Davies (Richmond Kickers), Nik Ledgerwood (Hammarby)
    Forwards (4): Dwayne De Rosario (D.C. United), Tosaint Ricketts (Sandnes Ulf), Frank Jonke (FF Jaro), Kyle Porter (FC Edmonton)

Notes:
    - Similar to our roster, it has a very internationally inexperienced defense.
    - Of 22 players, 11 are uncapped. 6 have at least 10 caps.
    - Will Johnson is the only name I surprised to not see.
    - De Rosario and Ricketts should lead their attack. I'm glad to see them there since I don't want it to be easy on our defense. They need to be challenged before the Hex.
    - I'm looking forward to a Kyle Beckerman vs. Kyle Bekker midfield showdown :p

19. 1-6-3

1-6-3 Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  20. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this. When I first saw Wynne with TFC, I thought he would be lucky to be a marginal MLS pro. His game has improved considerably since then, much more than I ever expected. He is now a solid MLS pro and full credit to him for growing his game as much as he has.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Wish he had gone overseas and accelerated his career however.

22. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kyle Beckerman vs Kyle Bekker.

Lol.

23. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    no. Castillo is crazy quick

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how so? castillo gets knocked over by a slight gust of wind, morrow is built like a brick shithouse and sticks to you like glue. his footwork may not be as fancy but hies the better defender. castillo just looks.....awkward, on defense. You can tell he very much prefers going forward than playing defense. Ive never seen anything from Castillo that has shown tenacity and bite. Morrow is always up for that.

25. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Castillo needs a brick for his back pocket, he may have a willingness but he has almost ZERO physical presence.

Berks and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.