January Camp 2022

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jan 12, 2022.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mic'd Up with Ashley Hatch:

jackdoggy and Klingo3034 repped this.
  2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And another press conference, this time with Jaelin Howell and Alyssa Naeher:

I like that each press conference has featured a newbie and a veteran.

jackdoggy repped this.
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also this is cool:

Of course, most US Soccer Young Female Players of the Year do eventually become mainstays on the full team, but we've not usually had so much overlap between older players and younger players in camp.

For those who need it, in the picture are (from left to right):

Kristie Mewis, 2008 US Soccer Young Female Player of the Year
    Lindsey Horan, 2013 US Soccer Young Female Player of the Year
    Mallory Pugh, 2015 US Soccer Young Female Player of the Year
    Tierna Davidson, 2018 US Soccer Young Female Player of the Year
    Morgan Brian, 2014 US Soccer Young Female Player of the Year
    Sophia Smith, 2017 US Soccer Young Female Player of the Year
    Ashley Sanchez, 2016 US Soccer Young Female Player of the Year
    Naomi Girma, 2020 US Soccer Young Female Player of the Year
    Trinity Rodman, 2021 US Soccer Young Female Player of the Year

And if Ertz and Heath were in this camp, we'd have 2 more.

jnielsen, sitruc, jackdoggy and 2 others repped this.
  4. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Wow, Morgan Brian is in camp! I missed that. Big MB fan here, glad to see her called back in!

5. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although completely ignored by the Scientific and Meteorological Communities, due to the presence of the USWNT, I can confirm that the Sun has indeed shined just a little brighter in the State of Texas for the last 10 days.

6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    She plays now under her married name; Morgan Gautrat for the Chicago Red Stars
    Sermanni got fired due to the poor performance at Algarve(0-2-1). He didn’t have a good career after that; got eventually fired after 3 years from the Orlando Pride. Took over New Zealand’s NT, they usually make it into the big tournaments due to easy qualifiers, but then flop. Seems like NZ has an new coach now(so either fired or retired)
    Probably Jill Ellis was more of the right coach for the job. Did get criticized for playing ‘cheap’ by using an high press even on tomato cans, taking advantage that clearing from the back is usually the weakest part of the women’s game, hence, that 13-0 destruction of Thailand . But Ellis knew how to pace the team(as compared to Vlatko) & looked really fresh vs weary/exhausted Dutch squad we met in the finals.

seems like our future looks bright; beating Australia 3-0 in their backyard with 6 new starters that weren’t on our Olympic squad….and yet we still got our best to go; the top attacking stars from the NWSL playoffs Rodman & Pugh didn’t make the trip down under. We could add now ten full time professional teams in the NWSL
    And still don’t get why we’re not using our giant infrastructure of 36K college players? That age group of 18-22 year olds is the bread & butter for most other nations; U of Florida’s Deanne Rose got the PK call for Canada(that doomed the US at the Olympics) U of Texas Julia Grossi PK shot won the Gold. FB’s Florida St’s Carle & U of Michigan’s Rivière got fave reviews as well.
    So it does feel silly that we don’t take advantage since we obviously got 20 more times American than Canadians in our vast college system…especially now that the golden oldies couldn’t own up anymore(though most other countries would of been happy with an bronze)

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To give an example of US women's depth, the Philippines fielded a starting team yesterday of 11 US-born & raised players to beat Indonesia 6-0 (all goals scored by Yanks) in the Asian Cup. They are one win away from qualifying for the WWC.

jnielsen, sitruc, RalleeMonkey and 2 others repped this.
  8. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was taken aback when I first saw their squad being mostly born outside the Philippines. o_O I mean their keeper straight looks Caucasian and several of them looks more African American. :eek: Quite a diverse squad.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new coach elected to hold a long camp in the US in the lead-up to this tournament, so many of the home-based players were at a disadvantage, especially because the local league wasn't playing. Many non-American players weren't able to get into the US for the camp.

Even Mexico was never willing to start an all-Yank lineup in an important match (there have been jokes about Mexico never allowing the roster to be more than 50% Yanks).

10. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    What were their chances in the tournament had it mostly been home grown instead?

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Filippine teams (men & women) have struggled when they weren't bringing in eligible players from elsewhere (Europe & US for the men; US & Canada for the women). Before this window, they were mostly running about about 50% North American rosters.

sitruc and Klingo3034 repped this.
  12. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You know the old joke. Poor Mexico! So far from God and so close to the United States.

The Mexicans have loosened up over time. Back when I lived in Mexico more than 50 years ago, it was against the law for a Mexican President to speak in any language but Spanish and businesses were prohibited from advertising or putting up signs in any language but Spanish. (Although there was an English language newspaper in Mexico City.)

13. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Oh, yeah. Title 9 changed the world. It’s not just the players you mentioned but the impact they’re having on their home countries.

I wonder how many teams in the WC did not have a player that played college ball in the US. Hell, UCLA alone had at least 2 other countries repped at the WC

jnielsen repped this.
  14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Press conference with Sofia Huerta and Kristie Mewis:

These are really short videos. Did they only have 10 minutes for this online press conference? Or did they cut some if it out?

jackdoggy repped this.
  15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USWNT Fast Facts with some of the newer players:

jackdoggy repped this.
  16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Update; the Philippines did qualify for the World Cup by winning their Asian Cup quarter-finals match. Got to remember though Philippino-Americans make up 4.5 million of US population.
    Poor Australia lost theirs, though they still get to play due to being the WC host nation.

a couple of ironies; Philippines coach by Staj, who was fired as the Matildas, even though he led them to unparalleled success(up to FIFA ranked #5 plus a win or two over the US). The Matildas then hired as coach, Jill Ellis right hand man, Tony Gustavosson, who sounds like a good choice, but been on an downhill slide ever since(currently ranked #11, but probably fall after this).

the other irony is; most Matildas ditched the NWSL & their own home W-league for supposedly the greener pastures of Europe(mainly heading for England’s WSL)

soccer is the #1 women participation team sport in US colleges/#2 overall sport next to track & field

Other than TITLE 9 pays for the programs, never understood the popularity of college soccer myself, and then especially foreigners; my own daughter played D2, the coach told me his school allowed him to switch the 9 full scholarship funding allotted him to half & quarter scholarships. So he got the entire squad on something, yet half the team was made from overseas foreigners, who probably don’t get the SAT & In state discounts. Even full ride D1 schools, I’ve never met an college student who would want to live 4 straight years in an dorm!(so in other words, they’ll easily give up room & board(possibly free if on scholarship) to live off campus.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  17. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I don't understand your point

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    just saying while I agree that TITLE 9 dominates the world of women’s soccer, but surprised in an way because most of the college players aren’t on full scholarships.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't know the final score, but the released video of highlights makes it look like the senior team beat the U23 team by several goals in the end-of-camp, closed-door scrimmage:

jnielsen and Klingo3034 repped this.
  20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Behind the Crest video from January camp:

And a vlog with Sophia Huerta:

jackdoggy and Klingo3034 repped this.
  21. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The true impact of Title IX is that women's college soccer programs even exist. It's not so much scholarships. It's the fact that female players are allotted facilities, funded coaching positions, travel budget, equipment, etc. Without the law, these things would not exist.

22. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Sad fact. Example of why equality has to be legislated at times.

jnielsen repped this.
  23. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Wonder what would have happened if title 9 didn’t exist? Would England and rest of UK not have a womens league still?

24. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That is easy enough to find out. Just hop in your Delorian. Set the destination to about a year or so before Title 9 was passed. Fire up the flux capacitor. Get the car up to 88.0 MPH. After you arrive in the past take whatever action(s) needed to prevent passage (be sure the same idea is prevented world wide) and then just sit back and see what happens.
    If you like the outcome then just return. If you don't like the outcome then just go back again and change everything back.

BTW: Just ignore any side effects or bad outcomes. Everyone knows that scientists are always wrong and there cannot possibly be any paradoxes. If you don't believe me about scientists just ask Trump. After all he is still smarter and better than anyone else.

blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  25. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No appreciable difference in the USWNT as I have traced the Complete and Total Awesomeness of the United States Women's National Soccer Team back to the original Big Bang.

Klingo3034 repped this.