January 2023 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by CarlosKaiser, Sep 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that Caciedo is DOA yet.

2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Super Rob Holding, to the rescue!

What? No?

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  3. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If Partey is injured, are we playing Xhaka-Jorginho in a 4-2-3-1? That would probably be the slowest midfield in the game.

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think the context matters for a deal like this. The Willian deal was dumb because Arsenal were in a top four scrap, Arsenal had other players that could play in that position, Willian was going to block young players, and he wasn't going to materially alter Arsenal's chances of winning a title.

That's not the case now: I don't think Arsenal make this deal if the team was on 35 points at the halfway mark and were 50/50 for the Champions League. This is a risk worth taking because Arsenal have a real shot at the title.

Don't think the overall squad construction approach changes all that much, but squad construction isn't dogma: at some point, you have to take risks to win a title, especially when the team is ahead of schedule.

The more I think about it, the more I like this deal. No way Chelsea sell Jorginho if they're sitting in 3rd and are 8 points back. Is the fee higher than I would have liked? Yes. But it's not a Pepe level overpay.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Which is arguably the thing that makes this difficult to embrace. For me, I can be okay with simply swapping Jorginho for Elneny or Sambi if the club just needs bodies, but that begs the question about management of Sambi and why they weren't more aggressive in addressing this position earlier. It also suggests the need for which they were chasing Caicedo remains, which is to have an impactful midfield player available off the bench or in spot starts. To wit, we're back to the "Are you or are you not addressing points of need to secure a trophy?" If this move isn't about that, yet a need remains, then we're left once again hoping Arsenal's frugality doesn't cost them later in the season.

That's the perception, anyway.

6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arsenal under Arteta aren't really a 4-2-3-1. More of a 4-3-3 with five attackers and five defenders. Jorginho is slower than Partey, but the current system doesn't ask Partey to cover that much ground as long as his positioning is ok, and Jorginho is a better passer.

DaPrince84, NorthBank and TitoTata repped this.
  7. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The 4-3-3 does leave Partey with a bit more ground to cover on his own, and I don't recall Jorginho ever playing as a single pivot at Chelsea. I don't think we can play the 4-3-3, and take up that 2-3-5 shape in attack with Jorginho in for Partey.

8. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We aren't going to have starting quality depth at every position. I'd imagine that Arteta was hoping that El Neny and Lokonga could provide cover if Partey/Xhaka got hurt. But it became clear that wasn't an option.

Getting a player that won't demand to be a starter and could provide cover for both Xhaka and Partey is pretty good work. And he won't block getting Rice or Caciedo or whomever else in the summer, assuming we don't get Caciedo today.

DaPrince84, maskito and Shen-O repped this.
  9. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must be an indication that Arteta views Zinchenko and White as emergency midfield options.

Also, Sambi is done at Arsenal. Hopefully he plays a lot at Palace and it helps us offload him in the summer.

Super Llama repped this.
  10. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not seen anything concreate but I have seen a little smoke about us adding another CM/DM before the day is over (Bamba maybe?) and possibly still trying to get Fresneda finalized.

Also seeing some claims that Caicedo is in London trying to push a deal through.

11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is the greatest betrayal since my little brother wanted a dinosaur for his birthday

12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    There’s a few of those but the vast majority know far more about football , what goes on behind the scenes , transfers than any of us though ..

13. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Shouldn't be an issue - move the fbs a yard closer to Jorginho and have either Odegaard or Xhaka drop deeper when their fullback overlaps.

15. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fab just posted that those 2 are staying. I think we're done.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1366 NorthBank, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    This is the conclusion I started to come to a few weeks back. But it worries me in that it could destabilize our shape, by taking OZ further away from the role he's been playing so well so far?

And the same thinking applies to Xhaka moving from 8 to 6... what we'd be losing. White to 6 is an interesting theoretical construct, but AFAIK it's never been tried at AFC so...

Edit: Since I wrote the above (a little behind the news cycles!) the Jorginho deal has finalized it appears. So happily we probably won't need to see either Olex or Granit play at 6 spot. Phew.

17. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now Tavares' 20...
    Fnz_fz5WYAEPK-b.jpeg.jpg

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not surprised in the least. It's been clear to most people (and probably his boss as well) that he isn't ready for our first team. In hindsight we shoulda loaned him a while back. One more (last?) chance for him to prove he's worthy for us? Will be interesting to see if he gets much time in Paddy's midfield and if he can cut the level of the EPL in general. Hey, maybe he'll pick up a few pointers from the master while there.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think and hope so. Makes sense to me.

I often find myself thinking of SAF and Henrik Larsson in the mid-2000's... masterstroke by a football manager, brought him in for 3 months or so (not even until the end of season) but still he significantly contributed to a title-winning season. At least that's how I remember it.

20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I’m not excited, but maybe the third time is a charm.

21. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well ok then.

22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've talked myself into Jorginho.

Short-term deal, not very expensive, is better than Elneny and Lokonga by a pretty serious distance.

More importantly, he won't prevent us from going after Rice in the summer. I know they said Caicedo wouldn't either, but I never really believed that.

maskito and GunnerJacket repped this.
  23. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well let's pray that 1) GJ and ESR come back soon 2) Xhaka and Partey don't miss many games and 3) That Jorginho is not a double agent.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  24. ThreeUpTop

ThreeUpTop Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Valley Forge
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It’s probably also not successful philosophy to rigidly adhere to one philosophy.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The WSL window shut 15 mins ago. Yanited rejected Arsenal's bid for Russo... no big surprise, it was wishful thinking unless they were desperate for cash. We were also looking at a Lyon forward at the 11th hour, but it seems that perhaps that was also impossible to conclude.

But since there is so so so much less attention on women's transfers, maybe there are some last-minute transfers that actually completed but just haven't been publicized yet?

GunnerJacket repped this.