January 2023 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by CarlosKaiser, Sep 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that would be stupid to pay a fee like that. Actually ANY fee. In my mind this would be a last resort to get a veteran EPL midfielder, but with no obligation beyond 5 mos. In my mind it'd be a zero fee, 5 month loan, which would only compensate Chelsea for his wages (assuming his weekly isn't obscenely high... do we know?)... period. Nothing else.

And even at that I'm still more than a little mixed about this. I'm sensitive to the comment(s) above about not paying Chelsea one penny, on principals (Kudryk, etc). But, considering this incredibly rare title race we've put ourselves in, I wouldn't dismiss Jorginho out of hand. But it's a tricky decision. Let's hope we aren't feeling forced to take it.

2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the latest Athletic pod, they're not.

Tonerl repped this.
  3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't even bring myself to imagine that horrendous outcome. 24hrs and we'll know! Ugh.

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Depends on the deal and terms, but I wouldn’t be opposed to Jorginho

5. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could do way worse than Jorge

i would actually feel really secure with him in the squad, i remember what his game looked like at Napoli when they ran the team through him, he is very intelligent and wouldn’t lose balls on awful touches like Lokonga

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just heard that the Arsenal's better half ;) has made a surprise bid for Alessia Russio, who is a serious striker for Yanited & England. It's rumored to be a world-record transfer fee, which in the women's game means it'd be over 400K... jeez how quaint!

But it's a bold move, and a needed move since we lost our 2 biggest goal-scoring stars to ACL injuries in the last month-ish. And I might argue a bolder move than Eduteta have done so far this window.

Let's see if it actually happens though.

thebigman, Tonerl and GunnerJacket repped this.
  7. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Not surprising that Chelsea would want a big fee for us to sign Jorginho from them, you don't want to strengthen a title riva.... hahahahaha sorry nearly made it to the end without laughing.

Honestly, with their poor decision making with purchases is anyone surprised they would want a ton of money available on a free in 6 months?

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would need a third hand to count the number of Chelsea fans I know who feel losing Jorginho would make their team better. The idea of sending him to a rival, for any fee, at a time when Chelsea are bleeding money, would be like winning a lottery for them.

Seriously, there is no reason for Arsenal to go from chasing Mudryk and Caicedo to settling for Jorginho unless they absolutely feel he, and he alone, is the difference between winning a trophy this year and missing out. Even then, the price better be rock bottom given his age and terms. Otherwise, they're simply adding expensive dross without adding value to the team. (While helping a rival escape financial woes, to boot. This is a time when Arsenal should be kicking Chelsea while they're down, not rescuing them!)

If Arsenal turn this into Willian 2.0, I may have to fly to London to beat Edu myself.

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  9. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Would only take Jorginho as depth for free. Paying a fee for a player about to leave the club for free in his 30s is insanity.

Would rather we just used the money on Tielemans then, since at least he will stay with us for 4 years.

10. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good lord, man. Do you ever get bored?

11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They probably not happy, but they got a better coach.

mebeSajid, casoccerdad47 and Tonerl repped this.
  12. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’re five points clear with at least one game in hand on any possible competitor for the title midway through the season, and we are fantasizing about scenarios in which they can be mad at the people that have gotten us to this point.

What a world.

mebeSajid and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  13. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has nothing to do with this but I shake when I remember we were up 5 pts with a chance to be up 8 when we lost to Birmingham and then United soon after and boom, title gone. I'll be scared until like May :unsure:

14. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    That really isn’t a thing with Lokonga. His problems are on the defensive side of the game.

15. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His touch was awful last game, maybe from not playing regularly but I saw him spring a counter because he mis-controlled so badly. Jorge gives me much more confidence than Lokonga. I wouldn't want to spend big on him or anything like that though.

16. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    The reddit thread has a picture of the table with us on top on 50 points. People forgot this time last season we were 4th and the season before we were 12th after MD19...

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We are Arsenal fans

We genuinely can’t be happy, lol.

Shen-O repped this.
  18. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO YOU CAN'T BE HAPPY!!
    *starts 19 page fight over happiness :laugh:

Nah but in the Italy forums a few years ago or probably World Rivalries today still, it could legit happen

19. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    We are unhappy, until we are happy (its the 29 until he is 30 argument all over again).

20. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Rewinder why so unhappy broseph?

nah jk lol

21. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No way Chelsea lets him go on a free loan.

I'd be okay with some sort of loan fee, even as high as 5M. It's essentially the price we pay for short-term insurance in case PArtey gets injured.

I'm more opposed to paying a big fee to get him 6 months early, then handing a 31 year old a big contract. Wouldn't be surprised if we would have to make him one of our biggest wage earners, plus the effects that would have on Saka, Martinelli, and Saliba's new contracts.

22. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and Partey being injured and not having any real replacement is my biggest worry with this squad now. Then Saliba, Saka, Martinelli, and Ramsdale. Rather pay the 5M for Jorge to try and win the league if they can't get the real target.

Xhaka not as much because we have Zinny

23. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Exactly. With Elneny down and Sambi looking completely unready, we may have to pay a big price to cover for him. An expensive cover is something we may be forced to pursue, but I'd prefer it ending in 6 months rather than 4 years.

24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Lokonga lost the ball just once against City. He didn’t even have any misplaced passes, going 24 for 24 on all passes and 3 for 3 on long passes. He’s good on the ball, he just isn’t good off the ball.

maskito, yossarian and TitoTata repped this.
  25. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I actually thought he started a bit tentatively but got better throughout