January 2023 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by CarlosKaiser, Sep 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh gotcha, i remember got rid of emergency loans few seasons back, so I highly doubt they allow him to join us

2. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ‘transfer window’ is actually a new player registration window. Unless it’s a free agent (i.e. somebody signing from off the street) we can’t add them outside of that window, even if the window is open in the place we are signing from.

daedalus repped this.
  3. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    So you are saying I am still in with a chance?

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Almiron has worked out. MLS is a good feeder league for South American players who may of developed slightly slower

small fees as well

daedalus repped this.
  5. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there anything to stop us from coming to an agreement and having him train with us until the window opens?

6. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about that.

7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the original question. Assuming the interest is real, it would be nice to have him with the team and training, even going on the Dubai trip. Would also allow us to decide if he is good enough to contribute now or if we should look to loan him out in Jan to let him adjust to Europe.

8. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Exactly. I don't expect him to be eligible for the West Ham match on Boxing Day. But it would be very beneficial to the player to get to work with his future teammates and Arteta in Dubai for a few weeks. It's a unique situation, kind of like preseason training in the summer.

9. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Players go on trial all the time, so I don’t imagine there would be anything preventing him from practicing with the team.

daedalus and Tonerl repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #110 NorthBank, Nov 4, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
    As I'm listening to Mangin & Watts discuss the needs and likelihoods for this January's window, and they were talking about the challenges of finding and integrating a player in January compared to Summer, I had this thought...

What if, for this unprecedented winter World Cup year, the authorities had decided to open up the window earlier (Dec.1?) and let it run for 1-2 months? As a one-off concept... assuming (naively?) that this is the first and last winter WC!

Seems to me this would've been a nice bone to throw to the clubs, after having disrupted their seasons so tremendously. It could've given the clubs a chance to get new players in during this 6 week pre-season-ish break during WC, one of the downsides of the normal January window.

I guess there are other pertinent factors, but I'll let others expound on those, if they see fit.

And I wonder if this idea was vetted in any way by the authorities in 2022 or leading up to it? (I can't recall any)

11. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    They also discussed the problems with Arsenal finding impact players during January, players that their teams are willing to sell that can add the quality to make a stronger push for top four and maybe even stay in the title race. With a few exceptions, most of those types of players will be at the World Cup, so even if Arsenal signed them while their National teams were involved in the World Cup, which is unlikely on the player’s part, they would have very little opportunity to train with Arsenal before league games resume. Hypothetically, since Ukraine won’t be involved, someone like Mudryk might be an exception, if you had an expanded window, but if Arsenal have a preferred target, would they sign Mudryk or any player not involved in the World Cup, just because they would be available to train with Arsenal for a couple of weeks in December before the season restarts?

Tonerl repped this.
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been presuming that Mudryk or any other non-WC player has a little extra value for this transfer window. I.e. Edu might be prioritizing one or two of those. But of course winter has always been a tougher time to find good, ready-to-go players.

13. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooner Talk claiming that we have our deal for Danilo lined up and that Palmeiras have already lined up their replacement.

CarlosKaiser, daedalus and leppercut repped this.
  14. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely support the signing of this particular player, and I definitley support the strategy of getting this business done early.

thebigman and daedalus repped this.
  15. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we sign Mudryk (and I'm skeptical that happens based on transfer fees floating around), I only think that happens if either Reiss or Marquinos are sold/loaned out. It doesn't make sense to add Mudryk unless we clear out one/both of these players to make room for him.

16. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has been talk of Arteta wanting another winger. Not sure if Nelson playing better changes that. Don't see either being sold but I could see Marquinhos potentially being loaned given his lack of selection lately. If we get a winger, I don't think it will be the previously linked players (Mudryk & Gakpo) because their price tags have skyrocketed.

17. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd sign him cause you never know what will happen with Saka or Martinelli. Maybe PSG sells Mbappe and wants one of them, injuries etc.

18. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it may be hard to recruit someone like Mudryk or Gapko to come here when they aren't guaranteed starters. Yes, they do seem to want to come here, paying over 50M for either of them to start on the bench doesn't seem like the best investment for us (though or closest rivals do this all the time..).

At the same time, it doesn't make sense to buy "project" players who can't make substantial contributions right away.

For these reasons, I think the rumors to buy Torres from Orlando/MLS (or someone similar) is likely the option we take for improving the attack.

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Danilo would be the backup/replacement for Partey right? He's a couple of years younger than Lokonga... do we know enough about him to know that he's better?

Also, is there more scuttlebutt about other DM's we're talking to? Like there seems to be with forwards?

20. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i don't feel like that point is touched on nearly enough: we want someone who can make a difference and we want them to come be . . . second choice. that's going to be a tough convince, though the wage difference might be enough.

the other thing is both of those teams are still in european play. you're going to need to pay over what you might think is appropriate to get them to give up one of their best players and harm whatever chance they might have in the tournament.

i think a danilo - someone we have tracked and been after for some time - makes sense even if they are closer to a project player. (not marquinhos-tier project but also not day one starter.)

with elneny back and the budget limitation, that makes a lot more sense than anything else.

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  21. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    what you're saying makes sense but, honestly, i'd rather see him get this year to adapt to london while training with the first team and being surrounded by our fairly strong brazillian/portuguese contingent. he's at least actively playing for U21.

22. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not a bad scenario, but hard to know if he'd agree to that sort of a "demotion." We don't need to create another potential Saliba-type situation. That may not be a fair comparison, but to players and agents, it certainly can have weight.

Personally I think loaning Marquinhos to a mid-bottom half Prem team (Wolves would likely be interested and desperate for help, but London squads like Brentford and Fulham may be interested) where he'd be more likely to get regularly playing time against fully-grown men seems like a better plan to me than U21s.

23. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    what do you mean by demotion?

i'm not sure he's ready to play at bottom premier league team, honestly. if he's to play full-time, i think championship will be his best bet.

maskito and Tonerl repped this.
  24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Arsenal will be either first or second (max one point behind City) going into the World Cup break. The prospect of a potential title race may free up a little more money. Arteta and Edu will want to use that money to add quality depth, players capable of starting for ambitious teams. The rumored January transfer budget two or three weeks ago was £50, I could see Kroenke’s increasing that budget to £100m to add that depth. So even though the price for Mudryk and Gakpo has skyrocketed, if Arteta and Edu believe either possesses the qualities required, I don’t see the price being a significant obstacle. Arsenal still have a very crowded schedule after the World Cup, so I do t thing playing time will become a significant issue, Saka and Martinelli will need days off. I think the determining factor in any purchase will be whether they consider the player to be the right player. If they consider Mudryk the right player I don’t think they settle for Torres and vis versa.

Someone suggested a 21 year old Danilo might be a project. He has played 104 games for Palmeiras’ first team. Edu and Arteta should have a good idea by now of whether or not he is a project.

25. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i mean, we also spent 130 on incomings during the offseason with meagre return on outgoings. i think dropping ~50 is already pretty generous of KSE.

having an idea what he currently is or may become is not the same thing as having someone ready to move from palmeiras to the premier league.