January 2023 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by CarlosKaiser, Sep 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wtf is wrong with you

type of guy to be mad about winning the lottery

DaPrince84 and mebeSajid repped this.
  2. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have now set this up so there is literally no outcome that you will approve of.

Classic Rewinder.

Bluto11 repped this.
  3. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Seems like you still have no reading comprehension.

Classic flyerhawk.

4. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if Arsenal get Caicedo at 65 million, what then? Is Edu still a dummy?

casoccerdad47 repped this.
  5. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Chelsea made a 55m bid, it was rejected, Caicedo said nothing.

Arsenal bid 60m, it was also rejected, and Caicedo requested a transfer.

Rumor is he didn't want to leave mid-season for Chelsea, but he wants to leave for Arsenal to be part of a title chase. Brighton don't want to sell, but there are links to RB Leipzig's Amadou Haidara as a replacement.

There was also a rumor that Zubimendi is reconsidering his stance of staying in Spain. If Arsenal shift their focus to Caicedo with Rice in the summer, it could be now or never for Zubimendi.

Shen-O repped this.
  6. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would Arsenal go for Rice if they get Caicedo?

7. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Going off the graphic someone had up earlier, Rice looks like he can fit the Partey role. Can Caicedo?

8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There is no 'worth'

The same thing happens in overheated housing market all the time

e.g you see a place that at reasonable value, and bid market plus maybe 5% sweetner

Then a bidder arrives from out of town who has to close on something this week and bids 20% over

Property has different value to different people, irrespective of market - plus irrational factors/fog of war on top

For all Arsenal truly know, Chelsea may not even want this player.

The problem is that if you keep bidding 'above market', you'll inevitably achieve less value for your spend that you should of.

Again - he may well have other targets. Which is why he doesn't bid over the odds - he thinks there is better value elsewhere

I think too much stock is placed on bare bones media reports of complicated 3 sided negotiations

mebeSajid, footykid, NorthBank and 4 others repped this.
  9. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No, because then he would have acquired the club's target. Even if he gets it done at 80 million, he would have got the player the club wanted.

Honestly, I'd respect his work a lot more if it was clear the club had a valuation that it stuck to and walked away from deals early when it was clear it couldn't be done at our price.

We work our way up to full ask every single time, but we waste a lot of time getting there and end up getting the player a lot later than we should or missing out entirely.

10. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    According to this, yes. Maybe they see Rice as more of an 8. Or maybe they will try to move on from Partey before his contract runs out. Or his legal troubles become more of an issue.

11. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We are going to give sellers their full asking price every single time. We don't extract value through negotiations with Edu.

Chelsea just bid 55m for Caicedo and got laughed out of the room. What kind of joker sees that and bids 60m. Brighton made it very clear earlier this month that Caicedo is not moving unless the fee is astronomical, so either you are willing to do that and give them a serious bid, or you look elsewhere.

The market closes in ~80 hours. Any time spent pursuing this deal if we aren't prepared to pay over the odds is time wasted. We wasted time on Douglas Luiz this summer and ended up empty handed, we wasted time on Vlahovic last January and ended up empty handed, it looks like we are wasting time on Caicedo now, only to end up empty handed.

That is not good work. Liverpool wanted Gakpo, a guy coming off a good World Cup, that had multiple clubs interested in him, and had the deal done, for less than the asking price, before the window even opened. They didn't let PSV stall for a bidding war, they swooped in and got it done.

Super Llama and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  12. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    leppercut repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    i presume they’d want to have 3 quality players for 2 positions and upgrade xhaka

14. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think negotiating is a bit more I cover than that. If you value the player at 90 then yeah you should bid but I think they value him around 60-70 and think Brighton probably do to.
    I’m not saying Edu is great and has done a good job of negotiating in the past but I feel like 90% of moves have at least 2 bids.

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is the digital entertainment I am looking for. Can’t wait till someone goes bankrupt doing 100x leverage

16. rifkin

rifkin Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It looks like BHA aren't going to let him leave though which makes sense as they are pushing for a European place but he seems to be on a contract for £3500/week so I can see why he'd want to leave ASAP to get that new fat contract. He's one of 10 siblings so I'm sure he's got full family support to move :D

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    One issue is whether you are just bidding against yourself

see the Pepe deal

insiders get fat tastes. Club ‘wins’ the race to sign him

Tonerl repped this.
  18. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I don't think Caicedo or Zubimendi is a Xhaka replacement, they are both 6's.

Let's assume they sign Caicedo or Zubimendi this month and Rice in the summer. Then you have one of them plus Partey at 6. Rice can play 6 but won't be needed there unless both are injured, so he's primarily an 8 with Xhaka.

If you want to do 3 quality players in 2 positions, you need a 6, a 6/8 and an 8. That only leaves room for one of Partey/Caicedo/Zubimendi.

Since they are actively making bids for Caicedo, I'm assuming that either a) Rice is viewed more as an 8 or b) Partey is leaving in the summer.

19. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading up on our various targets, I continually find varying opinions of both Rice & Caicedo. All are generally high on both but there are mixed opinions as to whether they are a better fit at 6 or 8. Seeing more suggestions that Caicedo can play both but may be a better long term fit as a b2b. With Zubimendi, everything I have read suggests 6 and only 6.

20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    When you negotiate to buy a new car, or a new house do you go in at full price or do you make offers below the asking price to see if the seller is willing to come down? If you try to negotiate, do you make one offer and then when is declined jump to full asking price? If you are willing to pay cash, do you expect a discount? We don’t see both sides of negotiations for player sales, all we get are rumors of offers, no details or payment schedules. What happens if the seller is asking for £90m with an extended payment schedule and the buyer comes in at £70m with more up front? We also don’t know what value Arsenal place on Caicedo or what Brighton may eventually be willing to accept. Both sides are leveraging the transfer deadline day to try to get the price they want. Arsenal are also almost certainly trying to leverage caicedo’s desire to leave. Trossard’s fee would probably have been substantially higher, if he was available at all, if he hadn’t expressed a desire to leave. I don’t think Arsenal make a second offer, if Brighton had responded to the first with a hard no.

Brighton are asking over the odds and we probably don’t get him but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t worth trying. Right now Caicedo is probably more valuable to Arsenal than to any other club and everyone knows it. There are no guarantees in a title race, but without a healthy Partey or a quality backup the odds of staying in the title race are substantially lower than they are with Partey or a quality back up. How much is that worth?

Tonerl and maskito repped this.
  21. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Per Capology he’s on £15,000 per week, Mudryk was the player on approximately £3500 per week.

22. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Would you go to the dealer and offer under MSRP for a new car 18 months ago when used cars were selling above their initial purchase price? What about if the dealer knew you were desperate to get a car in the next 4 days?

You see a club make a 55m offer that the selling club isn't even bothering to engage with, so why offer 5m more when you are known to be desperate and have a reputation of paying the full asking price on every deal - including on 2 previous deals with this seller.

Brighton probably know better than anyone that if you tell Edu to give you your asking price or get lost, he is going to do it. He already did it before when we signed Ben White, and that didn't even have the pressure of a looming deadline and a title challenge to preserve.

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Who knew the man flesh markets were so complicated

Shen-O, Tonerl and casoccerdad47 repped this.
  24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Yeah it’s fair to say that the Arsenal buying project is probably the best around ..

25. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I’d be so disappointed if Rice ended up at Arsenal .. he’s fairly effective but his skill levels are drastically wanting .