Jan 6, 2022 - The Continuation Foul

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Like that's a bad thing to anti abortionists. :eek:

Deadtigers repped this.
  2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Not an expert on evangelicalism but its central premise seems to be that we're all sinners (many Christian sects say this) but if you promise to try harder to be a better Christian (and make a big display of it) & give your life up to Jaysis, meh...we'll forgive ya. Like most Christians they don't practice what they preach and look down on others' sins but commit the very same ones or many more. Quote some Bible verses on FB, put up a picture of a cross with the sun setting behind it and you're good.

xtomx repped this.
  3. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or making smoothies. They’re like some woke hippie shit.

4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not sure what you mean. You check those things on a global basis, not on every machine. What you check on every machine is just that the code has not been tampered with (or the os or the firmware), but those are done in a different way.

charlie15 and soccernutter repped this.
  5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There are different estimates, but unfortunately it is a lot more people than you would hope

It's important not to confuse the people who exist purely inside the right-wing mega-media ecosystem and all Republican voters. To the best we can tell from surveys, it looks like it's about half to 60% of Republicans -- which is to say somewhere between 25% and 35%, or between a quarter and a third of the American population in general -- exists in cult-like isolation in a right-wing media ecosystem. Then there's the roughly quarter to 20%, or maybe it’s as few as 15%, who have half of a foot inside the Fox News universe, but also attend to more mainstream media. And those seem to be the most important audience to try to persuade, and explain to them just how wacky and different Fox News in particular is, relative to anything that should count as journalism.​

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-ol-patt-morrison-yochai-benkler-20181107-htmlstory.html

6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #4656 The Jitty Slitter, Jan 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    This goes to a widely held misconception about US media

There is not a single media ecosystem with right, left and centrist media. Rather there is the conventional media system in which you have relatively centrist media like WAPO or NYT or ABC or CNN, conservative leaning like WSJ, and left leaning like MSNBC - but the demo skew on all of these is within norms

Then there is a completely separate far right media ecosystem which is not part of the conventional media.

So you may think no one knows who Bongino or Greenwald are because you don't know them. But actually these people have bigger audiences than well known 'conventional' media figures like Maddow.

Also these fascists have different roles.

Bongino spreads hate and conspiracies to millions every week.

Greenwald is a manufacturer of propaganda that others use. This is why he is a regular on Tucker and oft quoted by other journalists and bloggers. Indeed Greenwald and Taibbi are two of the key writers on the "russia hoax"

7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes, but how would you know for sure that the people checking the code aren't in on the fix too?

That's the problem with conspiracy rabbit holes. Eventually you just have to hope that the ancient aliens living in Antarctic pyramids will let us survive.

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    LOL! I remember this shit on left leaning news sites around 2001!

Ultimately if the people running the election are trying to cheat, it is hard to see how anything will stop them.

On the other hand, you have good faith people running the election, it is hard to see how any 'hack' of voting machine OS etc could really work.

I kind of support having a paper record for the votes, why 'fix' what works well?

But everything after that is going to be digitally tabulated.

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Right, not "smoothies."

Good ole American foetus milk shakes...like god intended.

luftmensch and song219 repped this.
  10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not professing to be an expert, but I would think a true/false script would work. Or even a simple scrip that takes all the data and puts it in a .csv file.

And then run the same script on the central server, and compare the two files.

Or is there something I'm missing?

btw, understanding the code is something that needs to be routine - at least the basics. Hell, I know HTLM v. 2.0/3.2 circa 2000. And because of that, 10 years later, I was specifically sought out to work on updating a website/interface by the developer for a educational platform.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    To be honest, the code for reading the voter input and then keeping count is probably very simple. I can't imagine it being complex. Basically you capture the input from the voter and store it in a variable which keeps incrementing as votes are entered. If there is some nefarious code (lets say every 10th vote cast for X candidate, change it to Y) I'd imagine it would be easy to identify.

But like I said, other places you could manipulate the code is when printing or transmitting the results. You could have a routine that reads the variable storing the vote total for a candidate and add or subtract X amount of votes.

You could an audit of the machine without checking the code by doing a test run by casting votes and then printing and checking the results sent to the server. Then again, I could have a routine in the code to only activate a "cheating routine" when a certain number of votes are entered where a test run of let's say 100 votes wouldn't trigger it.

Obviously you'd need whomever programmed these things in on the cheat, which is unlikely, but not impossible.

12. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I always try to remind myself that truth is boring and fiction is exciting. If these people sat in on a city government meeting, they'd be bored out of their mind.

That said, the downside of the internet is it's given every idiot a venue to see every little conspiracy when things work against them. Whether its politics or dating/socializing.

Mike03, Deadtigers and Sounders78 repped this.
  13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not.

14. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooooooooooooh, the reminiscent cringe. I consider myself hopelessly computer-illiterate, but I had a Geocities page around that time. Had to publicly gush about all the anime boys I thought were cute. Very important.

Teenage phedre might have been a weeb. :unsure:

Deadtigers, dapip, rslfanboy and 5 others repped this.
  15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So tell him what it is, instead of being a little princess

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  16. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    You never read Henry James The Ambassadors.

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his own way, he was kinda/sorta talking about becoming "born again."

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Building websites in HTML with dreamweaver and fireworks around 2000

remember slicing up the page and deleting all the white spaces?

spacer gif!!

soccernutter and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  19. Cop Shoot Cop

Cop Shoot Cop Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    You take that back! Strether is my hero.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With proprietary machines, like what we have now, this can be done. If you make the code open source, then it can't because it's out there for everyone to see. And there are ways to check the program and operating system to see if they have been tampered with, so I don't consider those big problems. There are other ways to attack electronic voting.

One danger is social engineering attacks - tricking someone into installing an "update" sent to them by email or something. It would be kind of hard to do this to a meaningful number of counties before getting noticed, however. Another is modification through physical access (by a voter or election personnel by, say, plugging something into the USB port). Machines can be hardened against this, but at some point they have to sent their data somewhere, so they can't be completely closed off. There is also injection of malware through firmware or the compiler. This certainly isn't easy - probably a government level attack - but it's also difficult to eradicate fully (in a mathematical sense, impossible to eradicate fully, but we don't live in mathematical world). You can test the machines, but they will try to detect when they are in a test situation and not alter votes at that time, so you get in a bit of an arms race situation.

This is all the most absolutely basic stuff that people have been aware of for decades. Very smart people have been working on this a long time. The thing is, a lot of computer people are skeptical about pure electronic voting.

blissett repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    We don't really have a thread about the Russian attack on the '16 election but the Taibbi-Musk industrial complex has been spewing out a bunch of Russia Hoax nonsense in the last week.

RVA Wonk (a disinfo academic) has a good debunking thread about the whole bots vs trolls thing. What was especially interesting is that post '16 the MAGAe adopted many of the techniques

Mike03 repped this.
  22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    More progress in traitor hunting

Whatup with the 1/5 bomber?

24. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't she just get a plum committee assignment?

ElNaranja, Minnman, bigredfutbol and 3 others repped this.
  25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Can we find a more catchy name for her?

Q-bomber
    3 toed bomber
    Magabomber