James Twellman?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Coach_Barry, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I suspect he knows that. The question that I have never seen conclusively answered was whether the Revs actually ever had the option to pick up DMB after high school. I heard two stories back in the dark ages. One was that after the Revs' disgraceful care and training of Jamar, the league (and perhaps the Beasley family) wanted to assign DMB to a more responsible organization. The other was that DMB was made availablle to the Revs, but was rebuffed by then coach Zenga. I'm sure someone else on this board can answer better than I.

2. harvey

harvey New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    from what i know, you cannot compare jamar and demarcus to taylor and james twellman...the twellman duo is much more professional and capable

3. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Do you mean to imply that Taylor Twellman is more professional and capable than DMB?

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly more professional.

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Ditto.

6. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot more professional.

And regarding to what harvey said I would have to say is that the Twellman duo has more skill and talent between the two of them compared to the Beasley brothers.

7. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This is the most jackass thing about Bigsoccer. What the heck are you guys talking about? I assume you have some inside or personal knowledge of both or either the Beasley and Twellman brothers? If that's true why not just share what you know or what you're relating to. This 'Oh yeah, belieeeeeeve me,' bs is just annoying. At very least be a little clearer so people like me don't have to ask these questions or assume any of you is trying to be the next Chris Freakin Bergin.

8. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Whiter = More Professional??

9. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you talking about? The point is that Taylor is more professional then Demarcus. You want facts, let's take the game where the Revs whooped the Fire 5-1 and Demarcus cried to the media that the Revs weren't that good even thought they just kicked his ass. I've never heard Twellman make any type of comment that was unprofessional. He plays the game fair and more professional then Demarcus. (And knock it off with your attack on Bergin)

Wanna explain? If you are implying that I think he's more professional then Demarcus because he is white then I'm appalled with your remarks.

10. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    There it is. Proof. The Twellman brothers are more professional and more capable than the Beasley brothers.

[Rhetorical Q]Or could it be the reverse, that Beasley is so professional that he is candid with the press, and when he feels his team has underperformed against someone he thinks he should beat, he doesn't make excuses?[/Rhetorical Q]

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lived in Chicago from late 1999 until early 2004. During that time I observed Damarcus first hand, and he routinely spouted off to the media, and it was a frequent comment among Chicago fans that he was half-assed in his play for the Fire as opposed to the national team. He'd "come to play" much less frequently than he ought to.

However, he was one of the lesser primadonnas on a team that at times has been full of them (Stoitchkov, Razov for starters). And frankly, you cut younger players with talent some slack, because to some degree they're going to get a swelled head from that big fish mentality. It's the same with Freddy now.

I'm not a huge Taylor fan (hey, I can find fault with pretty much any forward, it's just my way), but he is definitely more professional in his attitude on and off the field of MLS games than Damarcus.

12. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Wow. There's the silver bullet. It's not like we've ever seen any public inferences that Twellman is less than well liked by his teamates for being dour or a little chippy with teamates have we? It's not as if in the press he's ever come close to throwing teamates and/or a coach under the bus for the way a certain central midfielder is playing.

There are certain posters on bigsoccer and certain posters on this boards that fancy themselves as always being 'in the know.' It's thrown out there that two brothers are more 'professional' than another, whatever that means, and a couple of said posters hop on it like it's just obvious as to why. If so explain, and explain better than DMB blasting the Revs in the press.

13. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    I saw DMB kick a kitten once!

14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only did he kick it, he fried it up in a wok and had it for dinner!

Seriously, I was the one who spoke with DaMarcus Beasley the time JMMUSA8 is referring to. I've said this before, but the story bears repeating again.

The original conversation was with Zach Thornton, after the Revs had beaten the Fire 5-1 on a Chris Brown hat trick. He said something to the effect that he was disappointed with their performance, etc. but the Revs "played well and we didn't. End of story." Meanwhile, DaMarcus was listenting, and shaking his head. I said to DaMarcus, "so you disagree with what Zach just said?" And then he went into his whole tirade about them beating us 5-1 but they weren't that good. I offered him a chance to retract it or clarify it, because I realized he was pissed off that they had gotten their asses handed to them, and he might regret it later. Thornton also cautioned him that "be careful, he's taping it." DaMarcus went on to say that he didn't care and was just saying what he felt and he had no intention of hiding his feelings. Then he went on to trash the Revs again, saying "they are a last place team for a reason, bad luck ain't got nothing to do with it."

So whether the Beasley Brothers are more or less "professional" than the Twellman Brothers depends on a lot of things. First of all, it depends on what you mean by "profesional" and then you have to take the actions of four different people into consideration. I have never met (or even heard of until recently) James Twellman, so you can toss that comparison out the window right now.

As for candidness with the press, both Jamar and DaMarcus were more free-speaking than Taylor. Depending on how you look at it, this could be good or bad. Loose canons make for more interesting stories, and Taylor does not really say a whole lot aside from answering game-specific questions. Nothing wrong with it--that's more his personal style than anything else. I have also seen him act more tight-lipped, especially when things aren't going well. He can be very guarded and I sense he does not particularly like doing interviews and could be mistrustful of the press in general.

So if you define "professional" as giving short, matter-of-fact answers that stick to the topic and don't offer any additional insight, I suppose I would say that Taylor Twellman would be more so than DaMarcus Beasley. And, as far as I know, Twellman always went to the locker room if he had to take a leak :eek:

During Jamar's time here, he was pleasant and "professional" every time I talked with him, always saying the "right" things like working hard and trying to get his chance to play more, etc. I once asked him if he was a better player than his brother (who at the time had just come into the league and no one had even heard of). I was hoping for a light-hearted sibling rivalry sort of response, but Jamar kind of dodged that and gave a serious answer that every player brings different things to the table and it's hard to compare, etc. This was quite a contrast to some of the judgement errors Jamar had during his time here, such as taking out an $650/month lease on an SUV when he was making $26,000. He seemed to me like basically a good kid, but unfortunately needed a little more guidance than he was getting here. This is the difference between having a guy like Nowak at Chicago, who would make it a point to speak to a young player and set him straight if he even so much as thought about stepping out of line.

Tom

15. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    I read this to mean something along the lines of:

Jamar and Demarcus are brothers who play soccer.
    Revs drafted Jamar and he was pretty much a bust for them. Despite his continued play in MLS, A-league, MISL and recently for US Futsal, one would have to say that Jamar's soccer career is pretty much second tier to this point.
    Demarcus was a consistent starter for Chicago, played well in the World Cup, and is now having success at PSV.

So Demarcus is having a noteworthy career while Jamar's career has been only footnote-worthy.

But this thread is about the James Twellman. So I supposed that RevsRule saw something in the Beasley brothers' history that might inform our speculation about James Twellman.

The only two guesses I could come up with were:
    a) Jamar played for the Revs and is the lesser skilled of the two brothers. Taylor plays for the Revs now. Therefore James must be a better player than Taylor.

or

b) Of any pair of brothers that plays soccer, if one is very skilled then the second brother must be significantly less skilled. Therefore James must be less good than Taylor.

Neither a or b make very much sense, so I was hesitant to suggest that RevsRule was implying something like a or b.

So I asked what he was talking about.

16. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Inflammatory for sure, but worth considering. If Twellman were black would fans be as willing to overlook his antics on the field? Does skin color, education, and familiar mannerisms influence a player's acceptance by fans? By coaches? Has this been an issue with the Revs? Is it "fair" to compare a Stanford educated white athlete with a strong parental role model to a black kid out of high school? DMB is a much more accomplished player than Taylor Twellman, but he's somehow less professional and capable? Frame of reference seems suspect here.

17. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK - When the Revs drafted Jamar, there were a few threads where someone said "we drafted the wrong Beasley, wait till you see his younger brother" meaning that the younger one was also the better one. I'm just threw out the quote to see what people thought about this brother-brother situation.

I personally would draft young Twellman if I thought he had any chance. I would also welcome Jamar back in a heardbeat because:

1) He was pure excitement and brought the crowd to it's beat everytime he got the ball.

2) He can run faster backwards then Twellman and Noonan can run forwards and we have a serious speed problem.

He wouldn't cost much and maybe, just maybe, Nichol could turn hinm into a useful player. He had the one thing you can't coach (speed) and maybe he's ready to learn at this point.

18. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Beasleys are upper middle class kids from the good part of Indiana. Assuming they have a ghetto background would be a really really stupid and racist generalization.

I'm sure there's a "bad part" of Fort Wayne, but you'll find more Ghetto in Columbus.

19. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now you are assumng that the Beasley brothers are from a bad neighborhood with bad parents. First off I've met the Beasley parents on several occasions and they are great parents. The only reason why I am saying Twellman is more professional then Beasley because of comments Beasley has made to the media and how Twellman doesn't have any events like this.

20. Ross

Ross Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Straight outta Qtown
    Thanks for bringing back that memory, Tom! I (and this thread) needed a chuckle.

21. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    NO. YOU are the one making assumptions (and telling ones at that). I've only pointed out that James has a college education and neither of the Beasley's do. The Twellman's father was a pro or semi-pro athlete as well (or so I've heard) and this is a big advantage in preparing a kid to deal with the press. And by the way, since when does dealing with the press become the defining characteristic of "professional"? Seems to me that performance on the field is the major criteria. From what I've seen, at least at the national level, DMB works harder for his team and teammates than any other US player. I'd trade BOTH the Twellmans for him in an instant and I'm sure Arena and PSV feel the same. So how is it he's unprofessional again? Because he didn't hold his tongue after losing badly to an inferior team? Wake up please. That's called immaturity. A lot of good young players have that problem (think Wayne Rooney). So what?

22. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DMB ONLY works hard at the national team level. For years he dragged his ass around the field for Chicago. Only when he started getting some interest from teams overseas did he bring his play in Chicago up to an acceptable level.

23. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll tell you all who is more professional?

The one who's getting paid more to play professionally Ok?!!

Damarcus' style is different from Twellman's and in this day and age who really cares if one is more opinionated and the other more considerate?

In the soundbite "he came to play" era - wouldn't you rather have someone say what they think rather than what they've heard countless "professionals" say on ESPN over and over again?

SO WHAT REALLY COUNTS?

How much you are getting paid - and that is what we really mean when we refer to the term "PROFESSIONAL" someone who is worthy of being paid to do what they do - not someone who is articulate or who is considerate or who recieved the FIFA Fair Play Award.

Damarcus comanded a higher transfer fee and made more money from a USMNT bonus perspective than Taylor Twellman did.

He's the better professional from a soccer standpoint - and that is the only thing that matters - everything else is our own free non-paying fan's perspective

24. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wayne rooney can by and sell taylor and dmb, does that make him a better professional? No, he is just a better footballer. making more money does not equate to being more professional. Thats just ridiculous. Anyone who earns a living playing soccer is a professional in one sense of the word. its how one presents himself on and off the field that makes a true professional athlete.

25. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I can hear someone spout off every day on ESPN or in the newspapers or on WEEI if I want to. This is the era of gangster pro athletes. People who are making MILLIONS a year and yet still can't keep their mouth shut, can't keep from raping women, stealing swag, killing people, or selling drugs.

Being a professional is as much about acting the part, being nice to fans, keeping your mouth shut in the media if you can't make a reasonably articulate statement, and having a positive role model reputation as it is about performance on the field.

Who was more professional: Michael Jordan or Ronaldo?

Who made more money?

Not the same answer by half.

The greatest professionals on this team have frequently not been those who made the most money or even those who had the greatest impact on the field, but they did come to play, and they did come for the fans.

Aidan Heaney and Francis Okaroh are probably the greatest examples of "professionals" to have worn the Revs kit, IMHO.

Other true professionals around the league include CJ Brown and Peter Nowak in Chicago and Matt Reis (IMHO again). Freddy has potential to become a true professional, but at the moment he's too young and outspoken and doesn't have the quiet, responsible leadership qualities that I associate with real pros.

And Damarcus has never had them, at any level.