James Sands at Rangers (olf NYCFC)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by autobus39, Nov 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ended 1-1. I had to do some work, annoyingly and missed it. Reviews were very "meh" on Sands, but any time Gers ties, esp "not Celtic" no one in blue will be happy. Sounded like a weak Gers game all the way around.

2. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Nailed it.

You missed nothing,

Work was probably better. I enjoyed my hour long conference call more than the game. I went down to row on my erg machine as I had taped the match. Snooze fest. He went the full 90 and hasn’t played for a while and that’s something bt “anonymous” would not be a harsh description.

freisland repped this.
  3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    There were apparently a bunch of EPL scouts there for Calvin Ramsay (ManU, Spurs. Soton, Leeds and a few other I can't recall off-hand.) fwiw. Would have liked to see him play.

4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1483580669066420224 is not a valid tweet id

5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was just a very boring and sloppy game overall. I think Sands did just fine all things considered: new league/team, 1st game played in a while, playing CM rather than CDM. I think the last one is a biggie... I am not sure I have ever seen Sands play that position. Didn't get that many touches but he must have been over 90% in passing. At any rate... I do wonder if NYCFC would have beaten Rangers today because I don't see a big difference between the leagues at all.

Ray Shoesmith, madvillain and ChicagoVT repped this.
  6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    26/32 (81%)

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  7. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Not gonna lie. I was rowing away remembering what Ramirez and Harkes looked like in MLS, and wondered what a home and away would look like with a better MLS team. I’ve thought this from time to time in the past, but always thought MLS teams didn’t have the savvy, coaching or experience to compete away from home. Sure they could tie and battle at home, but away they would be out of their depth. Not anymore.
    Would love to see it. We’ll see how Sands looks after a few matches.
    LBH, NYFC plays more possession, triangles, movement then what we saw from Rangers. I bet it was an adjustment for James.

Fav UK announcer moment. Player tackles someone. Goes through the ball and stomps, with studs on the players foot. Ref gives a yellow. Fair enough.

Announcer says? I don’t even know what to say. They give a yellow for everything now.:) This was during the first replay. On the second when it is obvious and blatant he ignores it. If it wasn’t so typical it wouldn’t be worth mentioning, but the old guard is funny, and stuck in the 60’s and 70’s still.

Winoman repped this.
  8. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    Unfortunately we have seen Sands play CM with the NT, and it wasn't pretty.

9. el floppo

el floppo Member

NY RB
    United States
    Dec 7, 2021
    NYC LES Evil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    80s and 90's too, when you could still tackle from behind and as long as you got the ball first, all bets were off for what happened next.

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    With regard to the positioning, he already has showed his versatility as the coach noted after the game.

Sands' performance/individual skills will improve in Scotland. I look forward to a Rangers game a month or so from now when he is fully oriented to the Scottish game.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #111 Excellency, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    James Sands "gelled quick" in positive Rangers debut - SBI Soccer
    It’s not an easy game, so I thought he did well tonight in a game that was tough for the whole team,” Van Bronckhorst said in a postmatch club interview. “I think he did better in the second half, especially when we put John [Lundstram] in midfield with him and it created a nice block there. We did well after the penalty kick to shut the game down and avoid letting up a winning goal.”

Sands started alongside Glen Kamara and Ianis Hagi in Van Bronckhorst’s 4-3-3 formation and showed positive signs in his European debut. The 21-year-old completed 84% of his passes to go along with seven of 14 duels won and one interceptio
    n

Capt. Tavernier speaks

freisland, BostonRed and Winoman repped this.
  12. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm... don't recall that many missed passes. I recall the long ball over the top to no one.... and I remember another right to the strikers foot that was tackled out of bounds by the defender. Thanks for posting the facts... but I still maintain that he did fine in his debut. Nothing flashy... but nothing poor. Most importantly... he looked like he belonged and only gave the ball up once (I think?) and was able to nick it back so it didn't lead to a chance for the opponent. All-in-all... a decent debut IMO.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  13. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    #113 barack_obampot, Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    Is it likely that he'll be called up for the WC qualifiers in late January/early February?

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    freisland repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    With Aribo and Nigeria crashing out in Africa, Rangers get him back sooner, at least. Will be good to see Sands with a closer to the full team. Wonder how much time off they give Aribo. Gers play Wed, as do Celtic.

Twitter is awash in memes of Ranger's fan celebrating Nigeria's loss so Aribo is sure to be back before Celtic game...

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #116 freisland, Jan 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    fwiw, reports that Aribo will be back for Ross County this weekend. Hagi is out for the rest of the season with injury.

If I had to guess, I'd imagine we see Sands start tomorrow. Gio mentioned he was better with Lundstram in the midfield with him creating a "block." With Hagi down for the count, guess we likely see Sands-Kamara-Lundstram with Aribo stepping in for either Sands or Lunstram (of a combo) when he returns.

Gers already linked with a Hagi replacement up front.
    1486063037387845633 is not a valid tweet id

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

Also, Bacuna headed out, to Birmingham City.

Also, Livingston added Soto, but word is he's not cleared for today's Livingston v. Gers.

Sands is likely to start.

Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are none of these SPL games being broadcast on Paramount +? Don’t they know the demand for CCV, Sands, and Mueller action??

ChicagoVT and Winoman repped this.
  20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Ethnic tensions? ;)

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    0-0 at the half. Reviews re Sands are fairly meh, which is not surprising when your team ain't scoring. They miss Aribo something crazy, I think.

22. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    upload_2022-1-26_16-12-59.png

Off as part of a double sub. Seems like he played OK, though.

23. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Don't forget Ramirez, Harkes, Soto, and sort of Pittman.

ChicagoVT, Winoman and Gorky repped this.
  24. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Arfield, who replaced Sands, scores to make it 1-0. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #125 freisland, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    Canada wins.

Hoping some makes a both touches video.

Check the Hearts players bank accounts!