James Sands at Rangers (olf NYCFC)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by autobus39, Nov 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is supposed to remain there until mid-December.

Also, "(a) source confirms it is just a training stint, not a trial"

3. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Everything in life is a trial.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    And all the men and women merely trialists.

Balerion and felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  5. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yeah if CFG just wanted him to train, they could’ve sent him to the Man City reserves, Girona, or even NAC Breda.

6. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 autobus39, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    The league website reports that clubs Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands are interested in Sands.

glutton4Bolts and Winoman repped this.
  7. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sands is legit... I think he is ready to try and break thru in any of the senior leagues in the countries listed above.... but I hope he goes to Germany.

Gacm32 repped this.
  8. robstonewall

robstonewall Member

United States
    Mar 11, 2021
    glutton4Bolts repped this.
  9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love me some Sands. There is literally not a CB/CDM out there that I trust more not to give the ball away in a dangerous part of the pitch. The only criticisms I have of him... primarily as a CB in a two CB system... is that he doesn't provide much offensively on set pieces (he actually doesn't even go into the 18... he is usually the last-man defender on counters) and perhaps more importantly... he is fast... but not elite fast. So he can be beaten one-v-one in the box.... but most good CBs get beaten from time to time anyways. I can't believe he isn't playing in Europe already.

robstonewall repped this.
  10. robstonewall

robstonewall Member

United States
    Mar 11, 2021
    I almost !00% agree with everything said here. My only critique is to include "USMNT eligibe" after the first "a" in the second sentence. Big Thiago Silva guy myself.

11. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
  12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they don't get any attractive offers because he's not a teen anymore (which is silly on Europe's part), I would be a proponent of them transferring him in house to Man City's cup squad, like Steffen. He fits their style & they have a need to replace Fernandinho, at least in a backup role. It'd be good experience, and even if he never breaks thru, he can be in the shop window for the next year.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Serious interest from Rangers:

15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #15 ArsenalMetro, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    Replying to myself:

I hate this move. If Sands is trying to be upwardly mobile in his career, Rangers is emphatically not the place to do it.

Rangers last sold a player for more than $1 million in 2018, when Josh Windass (lol) moved to Wigan for $3 million.

Rangers hasn't sold a player to a club in a top-10 Euro league since they sold Maurice Edu to Stoke in 2012. Swear to god. A couple of guys moved on free transfers during their economic collapse, and they had a goalkeeper move to Sheffield United as a backup, but none were sold.

So if Sands is content to hang out in Glasgow until he's 25, more power to him, but this isn't a move that puts him on any sort of trajectory towards the top end of the European game.

dark knight, winster, derek750 and 8 others repped this.
  16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah you convinced me.

i initially thought its pretty good cuz he would at least probably play a lot....but rangers and celtic are all name at this point and not close to what they used to be i.e. the euro landscape....

he can probably find something better...OR why not just structure it as a short term deal....?

17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010

Winoman, BostonRed and twoolley repped this.
  18. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I feel disappointed by that. Anyone feel otherwise feel like telling me why I should be happy about rangers move?

19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of our players are frustratingly insistent on moving to worse leagues for their careers than they can, presumably because they can speak English.

And some of our fans will annoyingly presume that makes them worse players. Not in the mind of professional Euro scouts.

Scotland seems to be getting more respectful of Americans/MLS due to recent success, & less delusional about their place in today's game, but it's still there.

I mean it looks like he's going on a loan (and not even a short one) w/ a buy option, instead of a permanent deal at other places.

As for upward mobility, Rangers appears on the verge of attractive sales, like Celtic have made recently. But at least make them prove it 1st. Don't be a guinea pig.

This probably won't help him for the nat'l team if it goes thru. He'll be getting limited comp at higher levels, if he even plays in those in the interim.

nycfc919 repped this.
  20. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    It is disappointing. Maybe British pounds did the talking. Oh well. I shall still follow his career with a modicum of interest.

21. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yank-on-Yank Old Firm derbies?

Rangers just sold some dude for a boatload (I believe their record sale) to Everton, so there is also that....for whatever it's worth.

Honest question: was Sands that much of a hot prospect that people would have expected something significantly better at this point? I've not followed MLS in the last few years, so I only know him as being a fringe USMNT sort of guy.

twoolley repped this.
  22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It says right in the Tweet "Rangers beaten German clubs & others from major leagues to his signature." So yes, he could have played for someone better. But he chose Rangers because some combo of wanting to speak English, thinking that they are a new version of Salzburg, & immediate p.t.

He's been successful in MLS every yr from 18 to 21, and just helped lead NYCFC to a title. W/ the NT, he's been decent, while playing relatively out of position or normal role every game. That's naturally made him not look as good as he actually is. Not a fringe NT. Should be the #2 at d-mid.

23. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I tend not to take these vague statements about unnamed teams & leagues so seriously in the transfer rumor mill (hard to differentiate reality from agent-driven BS), but it sounds like his ambition was a bit low on this one.

What I'm missing is what NYCFC gets out of this? He's an important player on their team, under contract until 2026 (as per Transfermarkt) and probably not on a prohibitively huge salary. They might get some nominal loan fee, but otherwise it seems the only thing they have to gain is roster space, having him in the shopping window in Scotland, and not having to pay his MLS-level salary.

24. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won the Gold Cup with the USMNT - starting in central defense while the team posted clean sheet wins over Mexico (120 mins), Qatar, Jamaica, and Canada.

Won MLS Cup with NYCFC as the team defeated Portland, Philly (shothanded), and New England all on the road (plus Atlanta at home).

That's a good year.

superdave, dark knight and Winoman repped this.
  25. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to sell players sometimes just show that you are willing to sell players. It also depends on who they're trying to bring in.