James Sands at Rangers (olf NYCFC)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by autobus39, Nov 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Both Aribo and Lunstram with knocks v. Red Star. Ramsey could easily feature tomorrow. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Sands starts, but hard to know.

3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Gers are up 2-0 early going. Did not watch. Sands and Ramsey started. Goldson with first goal, Tav with PK for second.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Gers won 3-0. Sands went 90. Rangers on to Cup Semi.

Didn't see it. Ibroxnews:
    James Sands – 6
    It was a brillaint game to throw Sands into after a troubled start to life in Scotland but he came through it in flying colours. The American didn’t do anything over-spectacular nor massively disappointing in all honesty, just a very accomplished but insignificant day for the 21-year-old.

He's also getting a lot of love on twitter, fwiw.

1503066974489829381 is not a valid tweet id

7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a safety valve, circulated the ball well, and started to control his area defensively finally, after a shaky start in the area. He was looking slower than in the US, but that was maybe part lack of comfort.

That's the area where I think he still needs to prove himself in Europe to be a starter for Rangers' standard. On the ball he's looked pretty smooth from the beginning.

But of course he's not going to break down a defense either. So at least has to be good at all the little things in the other areas.

I think he at least earned trust to start in the non Celtic league matches if need be.

edcrocker and freisland repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    On the + side he's getting lots of good notes among "real" Gers fans on twitters (not just crossposting MLS/US folks.)

On the - side, Gers had Aribo and Lunstrom (who seems to be Sands most direct comp.) out for mild knocks, and with Ramsey healthy (for now) Gio will have a good number of bodies to choose from.

Additonal + for Sands is Red Star, coming up, then Dundee again in league (they are bottom of SPL table and Sands did well against them today by all accounts) before Celtic derby home for Gers.

So a start next weekend v. Dundee again seems very plausible. But likely only sub minutes in the other 2 matches, would be my guess.

Winoman repped this.
  9. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Just watched the first chunk of the match. My observation is that he was more assertive, physically and creatively, than in his minutes so far in Scotland. Granted, this was against the last place league side, but I think some of the positive reaction is that this was the first time he seemed to play like a Scottish veteran instead of the new guy. May not move him up a depth chart that is a little deeper than it needs to be, but probably improved his confidence and everyone's confidence in him.

Ray Shoesmith and freisland repped this.
  10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This lines up with the response of a lot of the Gers regular posters on SoMedia (tho I have studiously avoided going back to FollowFollow - so mostly twitter, some blogs etc.

As I wrote above, mostly very positive and a bit of "ah, this is why we got this guy" feel.

Winoman and Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  11. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally it looks like my whining paid off. Negative jinx? ;->

In all seriousness, Rangers brought in a lot of bodies at CDM and it is clear they want their 6s to defend and attack. Sands is going to have to grow a lot to compete. He put in a great shift but it might be a bit overshadowed by the 18 year-old Scot Alex Lowry... who got another cameo and the assist on the 3rd goal (even though Sands started the play with the steal). That is a goal and an assist for Lowry in 3 appearances. It is early days so I will stop complaining about this move until I see how things work out. If the necessity to be aggressive offensively ends up making Sands a better player then perhaps the move will be worth it even if the benefits are not seen until after the loan.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Sands unlikely to start tomorrow, but the Thurs. game and good showing v. Dundee gives him a good shot at another start v. Dundee in league on the weekend. If Gers get a result v. Red Star tomorrow (they are up 3-0 from the home leg) the weekend is ripe for the traditional Gers let-down so Sands showing up on the weekend would be important.

TimB4Last and Winoman repped this.
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Sands on bench as expected. Would not at all be surprised to see him as a 2nd half sub. Gers just need not to get whomped here, so a defensive shell late is not out of the question if they are only down by a goal.

Lundstram has for sure made himself the choice DM over Sands, though. Not that Sands can change that, but Gio clearly has more confidence in the Brit atm.

TimB4Last repped this.
  14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Rangers down 1-0 late in 1st half. (3-1 Rangers on Ag atm). Still good chance Sands comes in later. I think the only way we don't see him is if Gers turn this around and are really dominating, but just not scoring, of if Red Star manage to bang in 2 more quickly. Otherwise, I'd guess him for Aribo around 75?

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Sands did sub in, as hoped, at 69' - tied 1-1 (but 1-4 Rangers on aggregate).

Winoman repped this.
  16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ended 2-1 Red Star due to last minute PK (Sands not involved.) He got 5 more mins that I predicted and came in for Ryan rather than Aribo (who came of 1 min earlier) but still suggests a Dundee start.

TimB4Last repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    WheezingUSASupport and TimB4Last repped this.
  18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sands was partially at fault for Red Star's goal after he came on. Instead of safely clearing the ball to preserve an almost insurmountable lead, he tried to keep possession, by chesting it to his teammate at the edge of his box, shorted it, and the guy committed a penalty in a failed attempt to shield the ball. Clutzy by his teammate, otherwise we aren't talking about it as much. But it was a suspect decision tactically and executed at a sub-par level, leaving him open to the mini disaster and subsequent criticism.

Hopefully this doesn't adversely impact his role going fw because he was started to gain confidence from the manager.

edcrocker repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    extended highlights. Sands came on at 70. Red Star goal at 12:00 in the highlites

edcrocker repped this.
  20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #220 m vann, Mar 17, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    See, I thought his back foot slipped a little and that is why he awkwardly chested it down. Otherwise, you strike your foot through the ball and hit it into Row Z. A mistake for Sands for sure but I think it had more to do with that back foot slipping.

Save this post. Jesus. I can't f***** believe I just defended a Rangers player. I didn't even do that with Beasley when he was at Rangers and he's my absolute favorite USMNT player of all-time. I've become soft now that I hit 40 last week. :(

felloveranddidanadu and freisland repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #221 freisland, Mar 17, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    I think it was a bit too clever, and not clever enough - at that stage of the game just get a head or boot to it, but Kamara's attempt at shielding, or whatever he was doing, was pretty awkward. Tired legs and mind, as I don't think Falco had any real play on the ball if Kamara just gets his body in the space... but not a good play by either, for sure.

22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rangers get Braga in the EL.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The folks on SocMed swearing UEFA heated the Rangers ball so that they could give Gers an easy opponent is hysterical - not that UEFA is above cheating, but that they are dying to have an SPL team go deep.

MacGregor was again/still great yesterday - at 40 years old. He was there in 2008 and still there now.

Sands should start v. Dundee, I'd imagine, though lots of folks got 2nd half rest and every league point is critical, so Gio could go with his full "A team" tho with Celtic coming up next week, I'd say smart money is on saving a few.

24. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think Braga is a super easy draw.

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Sands with the start today! @ Dundee FC

[​IMG]

Please stay healthy, young man.​

BostonRed and Winoman repped this.