James Rodriguez - news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by Uzuriaga, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Surely you can’t be serious [​IMG]

2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's still really, really hot... unusually for October and these aren't air-conditioned stadiums the temperature should drop soon.... the World Cup stadium they are playing in is air-conditioned so won't be so humid...

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And here's my video.... don't think I'll be quitting the day job anytime soon, but hopefully get some better footage on Friday....

lvbeto, ryu79 and Azucarero repped this.
  4. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It’s sad watching him play at this level

crazy

pepinointer and villus repped this.
  5. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It’s a joke/reference to the movie Airplane! :)

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't call me Shirley!

ryu79 and Furnaccio repped this.
  7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was sitting with a Colombian colleague and his friends and one of them was telling me how he'd just seen James playing for Real Madrid a couple of years prior he scored a couple of goals vs Espanyol I asked him if he could've possibly imagined seeing him here just a couple of years later and he was like no, never!

8. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    If the report was true and he signed a two year contract there how long do you think before he basically just completely dials it in? I'd say I give it 4 months tops if he's actually playing. How can you allow yourself to be such a joke all considered?

9. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Apparently, there's a secret clause in his contract: because he plays in Qatar, there's an unique circumstance that PSG can sign him for free as their owners are from Qatar.

Idk if this is true or how this works (like do the owners of PSG have this type of influence?) as it's just a rumored report as I honestly don't see how he could come surely for just money.

10. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That rumor has been denied by a few reports, seems it's just paper talk. Alas.

pepinointer repped this.
  11. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    PSG signing James would be really dumb, they already have 2 luxury attacking 10's that are a lot better then James in Neymar and Messi. Might actually be the worst club for him tbh based on their squad, he'd be riding the bench most likely.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  12. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    he's perfectly fine and content I'm sure. He can walk the whole game and take corners and free kicks. No pressure just like he wanted.

13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a heads up, there's a big, big, big game tomorrow, October 22 @ 7pm Doha time (that's 4 pm GMT), Amir Cup final between Al Sadd and Al Rayyan. The Emir Cup is basically Qatar's premier cup competition like the FA Cup or Copa del Rey. However, the Amir Cup is a really big deal in Qatar as the Emir himself is there to hand out the trophy and it's a huge event. I don't really get it, hardly anyone goes to watch league games or the national team play but the Emir Cup final is almost always sold out. This one is no different as it'll also inaugurate the World Cup Al Thumama Stadium.

Sadd and Rayyan are basically the two biggest and most decorated clubs in Qatar and this match is dubbed the "Qatar clasico". Sadd have enjoyed a lot more recent success and will be heavy favorites to win tomorrow. It'll pit former world cup winner Xavi and Laurent Blanc against each other. James, Nzonzi, and co will really have to step it up to cause an upset. Rayyan leak goals like crazy and Sadd can't stop scoring so it's hard not to see the latter win. Anyway, if you're only going to watch one Rayyan game this season then this would probably be the one as I doubt they'll be in the title race later this season.

14. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    James-mania has crashed the website of Alkass - Qatar's Sport TV station. Wild.

15. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Update. It's back up.

16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the match now.. 20211022_200650.jpg

sidspaceman, ryu79, pepinointer and 3 others repped this.
  17. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I will say this. He is really working there and dropping back to defend in his own box.

They have held on keeping this close much longer than their performance at the weekend would have indicated.

Also - the Qatari's don't seem fond of his tricks. He is getting physically assaulted all the time.

Azucarero and sidspaceman repped this.
  18. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I dont pretend he just score and score...but for me he didnt show a superior level than the other players in the field.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  19. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    WTH was Blanc thinking taking James out just before penalties.

Rayyan loses by 1 pen in the shootout.

20. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #10570 ryu79, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    Disagree. IMHO, he is clearly a step up in quality over the other dudes there, he is taking a bunch of contact as well because they clearly arent used to his control.

Also - his quality stood out in the EPL too, so that shouldn't be a surprise. Was never the issue as he just couldn't stay healthy in the second half of last season.

And he certainly looks match fit and was covering back much more than I am used to seeing him.

Lastly, I'm not saying this one game would make him suddenly NT worthy, but does he have more quality than his teammates...I think so.

dapip and J-Mezzy repped this.
  21. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    A blessing in hindsight; James will be motivated/irritated to do better so that he feels that it's not a waste of time there.

dapip repped this.
  22. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    James is an idiot but he absolutely stood out in the EPL from the first game he played as a class above many and lots of us commented that in here as well as commentators in England who many would have a bias against James from the jump. He almost alway played well in England, was getting nailed physically quite often and did work hard to do defensive work fairly regularly, on the field wasn't ever a problem really. Even during the worst of times for James you rarely see him just be bad, his technique is superb and his passing and poise on the ball is almost always there. Honestly the time he looked the worst was in Madrid when he was just on the fringe of the team and getting disked around by Zidane, he looked nervous and uneasy.

IDK his attitude we don't see and the reports are really bad, but his product is still far and away something that is worthwhile for us with our lack of creativity, whether he's toxic and a problem to have in the squad is a totally different story.

kromekote, Azucarero, ryu79 and 2 others repped this.
  23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlights from the match:

Tried to get James as much as possible. He did have a few goes at goal towards the end... he seemed injured that's why Blanc took him off. I wonder if he would've taken a penalty in the shootout. I was surprised he didn't take their penalty during the match, but Brahimi took it instead...

Nice new stadium at least....

24. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  25. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+