James Rodriguez - news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by Uzuriaga, Jul 6, 2010.

1. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Lots sure, Durant owns a venture capital firm with his business partner and they have some very good investments. Lots of these guys get hustled, Durant and James for example are not the type, they have pretty good business savy and are using their status and capitol to make smart moves. Durant and James are probably in the 1% of NBA players and pro athletes in terms of business acumen imo.

dapip and J-Mezzy repped this.
  2. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  3. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I've never liked him, even before the James issues. Shocked Everton would be ok with a former Liverpool manager.

Azucarero and dapip repped this.
  4. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Totally bizarre. An enormous step down from Carlo.

kromekote and villus repped this.
  5. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    James needs to gtfo of Everton, Rafa ain't gonna give him the same importance as Ancelotti.

6. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    didn’t he win a champions league with Liverpool? Went to Inter then Real. Did badly haven’t heard about him since

7. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    James needs to get physically fit first to handle a 35+ campaign

Once that happens, he will thrive no matter who is coach.

Tio Nicci repped this.
  8. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    James needs alot of things.

SoyDelMustang, dapip, villus and 3 others repped this.
  9. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Liverpool and Valencia for me were his high points. Still think Carlo is next level as a man manager and guy who can bring in and work with talent.

10. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    If he hasn't been able to get fit at this point with lots of time where he wasn't playing because of his own dumb decisions its not gonna change overnight. So in that case we'll have to accept that his calves are probably gonna act up again, and in that case he needs a coach who will give him every opportunity even if he is in and out of the squad, and Rafa doesn't seem like the guy. Ancelotti was willing to give James every chance to play, and to accept his injuries, Ancelotti loved James a lot of coaches won't give him that type of platform and accept the downsides that James seems to be bringing.

11. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    To be a world class player, you gotta rise above nagging injuries, fitness levels, and any other obstacle that comes your way. If James can show better fitness levels next season, he will play more than 30 games at Everton regardless who the coach is.

Not always going to have a coach or teacher who will coddle you. That’s just an unrealistic expectation to have. Futbol is a revolving door and a part of the game

Most of us here played sports and had that one coach who we wish we could have had for more than one year. I know I was like that with baseball growing up.

12. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    James came to Everton basically after almost a full year of not playing and was injury plagued, he then left early to go join up with Colombia and got kicked off the team. Hate to say it but he's 29 and hasn't played a ton of soccer on professional levels over the last 2-3 years and can't stay fit for whatever reason. From here its likely to get worse. He doesn't need someone to coddle him but he's a specific type of player who fits in specific systems and honestly a lot of the way a team plays needs to be built to fit him in, lots of coaches won't do that.

He's 29 and the injuries and his athleticism are likely to keep going down hill, he's a very good player still but one that fits in certain systems and you need to make room and almost build a team around him for him to be successful. James under the last few coaches who didn't appreciate him was miserable and was left out plenty, and we need to accept he's not going to change and in order for him to thrive he needs a coach who really wants him and uses a system that fits him.

13. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don’t disagree with you are saying, but we all know the shelf life for a coach for most teams these days is quite short. What you’re asking for is just not realistic. No coach in any sport is going to build a team around one player especially when they are injury prone…

I know many of us (myself included) have a bias for our Colombian players at whatever club they play for, but we have a tendency to shift the blame on a player’s lack of success to a coach or front office….

14. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I'm not shifting blame to the coach or front office though, its on James that he hasn't succeeded and stayed at Real too long with a coach that hated him and he pissed off Rueda. I think we have to accept that there are some difficulties with James and coaches, and I think at 29 after all this its pretty clear that he's not going to learn his lesson. So in that case a coach who accepts and values him is better for all involved, you don't have to build the team around him but you have to play a formation that caters to his strengths and utilizes him, everybody benefits from that because James showed this last season he can still be a really impactful player in the right environment.

He needs to get as many ducks in a row as he can, because realistically he's a flawed player at this point, so not making the same mistake he did at Real and staying with a coach who he had some problems with in the past isn't ideal if he can choose other options and avoid problems down the road.

15. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    In italy he will be ok.......that league tolerate spoil guys...like cassano, icardi, boateng, robinho, ljajic with decent results.......

dapip, Doogs and Azucarero repped this.
  16. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    The pace of the league is perfect for James at this stage, the EPL is always high paced games and James can definitely do well in that environment but I feel like its gonna lead to more injuries and its not his strong point. Milan's midfield are work horses too, lots of legs to support James and give him an attacking role.

dapip, pepinointer and ryu79 repped this.
  17. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

dapip, Doogs and sidspaceman repped this.
  18. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  19. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i've been wanting to see him in Italy for years, kinda really hope it happens

20. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I kinda expected him not to show up. Glad he did.

dapip repped this.
  21. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Samesies! That's why I posted it.

dapip and Azucarero repped this.
  22. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Gents - Memory question. Does anyone remember when James first hurt his calf?

I don't remember him having it at Banfield or Porto? Was it under Ranieri at Monaco?

23. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think Monaco

24. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    James was born with a hurt calf.

dapip and Furnaccio repped this.
  25. Jace

Jace Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Hopefully he doesnt say something else to get himself in even more hot water with the federation. Not holding my breathe lol