Jamaican pre-game press reports

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Scotty, Nov 13, 2004.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
  2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Boyz settle in

Micah Hyde has joined the list of Reggae Boy casualties ahead of tomorrow night's crucial CONCACAF World Cup qualifier against the United States. The British-based midfielder injured his thigh in a weekend game for his club.

It made him the second player to be omitted from the Jamaican roster for that purpose, following an ankle injury to another midfielder, Oldham Athletic's Jermaine Johnson.
    http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20041116/sports/sports1.html

3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  4. Joe Gannon

Joe Gannon New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    New Market, Md.
    I agree that this is a great opportunity of EJ to start and shine. What I'm looking for is to see our boys attempt to break down defenders when in a one-on-one and then to finish. We need to start building confidence that we have the skills to challenge. This is the perfect game to start. See you all tomorrow.

5. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good article and I think Roy's right in most of his points. It's amazing how far we've come.

Nice to hear from some of our past players from time to time. I liked Wegerle as a player even if he was injured all the time. It would be cool if Roy earned his PGA card which he is really working hard at. Wish him the best.

6. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    navarro will let the physical play go by, and not call the ticy-tack stuff we see from a lot of the concacaf refs....don't know who this beneftis most...

wegerlee saying jamaica is the 3rd best concacaf side over costa rica might be a bit of a stretch....ticos accomplishments in the hexes and wc finals are better than the boyz...and using the boyz wc semis performance to evaluate them seems a bit odd given they're fighting for their lives....

a hex without the ticos and boyz will seem very anticlimatic to me....

no saprissa!! no office!! what's a fan to do!!

7. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D
    If Wegerle really said that, I'd say he's been doing more than "stretching" in his free time.

8. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    is there any matchfixed going on ?

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Boyz on the brink

The United States did everything the Reggae Boyz asked of them in their last match against Panama, by whipping them 6-0. But the Jamaicans did not hold their end of the bargain. Now, Jamaica's senior footballers owe it to themselves and the nation to step up and reach the final round of CONCACAF's 2006 World Cup qualifiers.
    http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20041117/sports/sports1.html

10. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    there are two more (observer articles) in the daily news thread... i've posted it, but it hasn't been moved to the front page yet (meaning it's in mls news & analysis right now)

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Day of Decision! - Reggae Boyz in do-or-die game against US

If the confidence being exuded by the Reggae Boyz aggregation is anything to go by, then qualification to the final phase should be a mere formality.

Unfortunately, team competition doesn't quite play out like that. Jamaica will have to exhibit the requisite levels of understanding, skill, commitment and passion to get a positive result when they oppose the US in their crucial World Cup qualifier here at the Crew Stadium at 7:38 this evening.
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/spor...REGGAE_BOYZ_IN_DO_OR_DIE_GAME_AGAINST__US.asp

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Senior Boyz believe luck bound to change

They all believe it is just a matter of time. And based on all the indicators, who can blame them? Jamaica's senior footballers are confident they can break the United States' unbeaten streak against them, when they meet in a crucial CONCACAF World Cup qualifier here at the Crew Stadium at 7:38 tonight.
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/spor..._SENIOR_BOYZ_BELIEVE_LUCK_BOUND_TO_CHANGE.asp

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (From the first link of the latest batch on matchday that Scotty posted)

Boyz on the brink -- Jamaica Gleaner

Offers some speculation on who may be in Jamaica's starting lineup-- and some familiar faces to USA & MLS fans at that, too...

From the article (about two-thirds of the way down):

It seems Ricardo Fuller, Damani Ralph, Theodore Whitmore, Andy Williams, Jamie Lawrence, Tyrone Marshall, Craig Ziadie, Damion Stewart, Ian Goodison, Ricardo Gardner and goalie Donovan Ricketts will be the ones carrying the Jamaican challenge from the start. Marlon King, the team's leading striker, and new addition Jason Euell, were given more consideration and seem likely to get a chance at the tough U.S. team which is on a 12-match unbeaten streak since February.

14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if they've learned anything about our team since our last game against them in August. Prior to that game, the Jamaican media and team officials were saying that the American player they were most worried about was Peter Vermes. Brilliant scouting if you ask me :rolleyes:

15. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    this is our beginning of the next qualifier, by knocking Jam out, we'll have a little less work in the future because, like Dono said we rather play against Pan than Jam.