Jamaican Music Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by nicodemus, Apr 20, 2008.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After doing a reggae search I've seen several reggae threads in team specific forums, but I didn't find one (or at least a recent one) in this forum. I figure there's enough interest around for Jamaica to have it's own thread.

Feel free to talk about everything from the classics like Bob Marley and Burning Spear to the dub of Lee Perry and Scientist up to modern stuff like Beenie Man and Capleton. Basically, if it's from Jamaica, this is the place for it.

I feel like I know a decent bit, but could (and would like to) know more. I know there are some enthusiasts around here, so enlighten the rest of us.

So recommend albums, tours, etc....

To start the proceedings, here's two records I've been wearing out lately...

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Jamaican ska. I have an old school Skatalites CD as well as their new stuff. Laurel Aitken is cool too. A lot of reggae artists started out with ska like Bob Marley & the Wailers--their song "One Love" is an example. Trojan Records has a bunch of various artists CD's.

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    [​IMG]

Being a huge Marley fan (who isn't? ) I thought I'd heard it all until my bro gave me this 4 disc set for Christmas. Disc 1 is a revelation. It's his real early
    ska beat breakthru that grabs you and won't let go. With the Skatalites backing some tracks you hear the band consisting of Bob, Bunny Livingston, Peter Tosh and Beverly Kelso laying down the greatness they had in store for all of us. If possible I suggest every serious reggae lover find himself a copy of these recordings.

4. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These Trojan Box Sets are an embarrassment of riches.

I've got the Rock Steady, Dub, Ska, DJs and some others -- I'm not sure if there's a lot of repeats on these. But it seems like an endless of trove of goodness.

Damn cheap too, as far as box sets go. Nice simple format.

EDIT:

I just realized those are the first four listed. They may have been the first four released--then it became a bit daunting. But I'm itching for more.....

5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    [​IMG]
    Wailers during their ska years. The song Simmer Down which they did with The Skatalites is one of the best ska songs ever.

Has anyone heard this?

[​IMG]

Trojan let Greenwood of Radiohead compile an album of some of his favorite tracks from their entire catalog. It's a great album and a great introduction to a variety of jamaican music.

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    good cd, title track is very good
    These guys put out a few good albums in their day. A remake of now that we found love gave them a boost in popularity

7. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely one of the best. "One Love" also started as a ska song but then was changed into reggae later on.

This CD is one of many that could be a nice introduction to early Jamaican ska, although there's more Prince Buster than I'd like.

[​IMG]

8. elbp

elbp Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Cordoba, ARG
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I love listening to Bob, Burning Spear, Peter Tosh, Lee Scratch Perry.

But my favourite artist are The Abyssinians. I have listened to two of their albums in full and they are both great. Indeed, Satta Masagana has become my favourite reggae album. I would love to see these guys live.

Their current members:

[​IMG]

And a recent performance:

[youtube]rCJcdofl_Hg[/youtube]

Awesome!

9. frenil

frenil Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Lund
    Video from a excellent music/travel show featuring Leroy "Horsemouth" Wallace, Earl Chinna Smith, Errol Flabba Holt and others talking about reggea and jamming. There's also some brilliant dancing. Great stuff.

[youtube]stHRzsBnCnc[/youtube]

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been digging out some old dub albums, good grief this stuff is great:

[​IMG]

11. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lately, I've been getting into a bit of old-timey Mento.

The Jolly Boys, etc.

I love that old sound.

12. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    More than a few, all their albums were great. And excellent live too. I saw them at Kaisers Kafe in Negril and they jammed it out for three solid hours till 2:00 am. That was a great night...

13. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my all time favorites, sort of...

[​IMG]

This album on Amazon has 17 tracks. Mine is an old Jamaican pressing with about 8, or maybe less -- they all segue into heavy dub versions and I love it. Although I may pick this up to see what the others are, cause it's great session.