Jamaica to Recruit Nine England-based Players

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DearGodNotBornstein, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jahman

jahman Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Outside Reggae Land
    You actually giving this a second thought? Fortunately the thoughts of one delusional poster does not reflect on the rest of us. I am surprise John Barnes was not listed as coach.

2. jahman

jahman Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Outside Reggae Land
    One delusional poster does not equal Jamaican supporters. Having said that you do not believe we have a shot a getting a point in one of Panama, Costa Rica, Honduras or even the US? I am curious where do you expect the US to get their points on the road? Do you expect the US to win their road games? Not knocking the US at all - obvious to anyone with common sense, they are the better tea compared to Jamaica but I am truly curious as to where you believe their points will come from based on historical results.

This is going to be a tough round and the 3-4 new players (not necessarily players that will represent Jamaica for the first time) expected, we will have an improved team. In relative terms none of the other 5 teams can make that claim.

I think that any team that drops 6-7 points at home will in trouble as I can't see any team, even Mexico picking up more than 7 points on the road.

I go back to my mantra from 1997 - the ball is round and anything can happen.

3. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Honestly looking at some of the names, I'd jump at the chance. Outside of Hoilett and Sterling (neither of whom are English born BTW) none of the guys are gonna get meaningful looks for England's NT. If you want the chance to play in a World Cup, why not go to Jamaica?

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  4. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, based on Historical results I think we can get a point/points in Jamaica and Honduras.

I think we can get a tough point in Mexico BUT more than likely lose by a goal reminiscent of the last few cycles.

Costa Rica will be a wild card given their stadium situation but all things indicate they will play us in a stadium we never get points in.

Panama scares me a bit but since you said to base it on history I think we can get points there too.

I don't think Jamaica will get a point anywhere.

5. jahman

jahman Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Outside Reggae Land
    Fair enough.

6. DearGodNotBornstein

Aug 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's a bit harsh. I could see Jamaica (especially one boosted by 4-5 new guys of quality) pulling point(s) in Panama or Costa Rica. Possibly Honduras, but I think that is a bit tougher.

7. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, that is why they play the games. There is always a chance you can be right.

The discussion was based on history though which is not in their favor.

Costa Rica for some reason plays well against Caribbean teams no matter how bad they do against everyone else. They are not afraid of us either. They have mental lapses against Mexico though.

Panama is much more difficult than Guatemala. And we saw how Jamaica played in Guatemala.

4-5 new guys is nice on paper but as I alluded to before, the game is played on grass. We don't know if those players will be a net positive or negative on the team until the games are played.

8. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the end, I hope they get stronger. It will force everyone to step their game up!! The harder we struggle the qualify the more we will fight when we get there.

9. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we fire Jurgen yet?

10. TheDread

TheDread Member

Aug 17, 2004
    On a number of occasions Jamaica has had better players than the US during an encounter but never achieved victory because of our lack of discipline and organization; the US always featured a team that plays organized disciplined football that rarely loses it's shape. Right now the reggaeboyz are playing disciplined and organized; something that has never been seen in a Jamaican team. Have you ever wondered why it is that a reggaeboyz team with vastly lesser talent than any JA team to have played the US in world cup qualifications is the first EVER to beat the US? Ponder this, what happens when the reggaeboyz puts their most talented team ever on the field playing in this current system implemented by Tappa (organized and disciplined)? Delusional? Let the record reflect that you sir are the delusional one. As far as history is concerned, the past is no guarantee of future results.

Regarding some over enthusiastic JA fan posting a squad comprised almost exclusively of new UK based players; not going to happen. The core of the current starting eleven will be in tact supplemented by 2 to 4 more new players. The bench will also get stronger.

11. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    It took two spectacular free-kicks to beat the USA without two of their best players.
    Let's just wait until the Hex to see who is right.

12. TheDread

TheDread Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Last time I checked free kicks were part of the game; a win is a win. I could also point out a number of dubious calls by refs in our series, but I won't..a win is a win.

13. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    A Win is a win.

Just dont be surprised if Jamaica does not win against the USA again for a while. I certainly won't be.

14. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USA forums are always filled with individuals who think the USA is better than they are and disrespect the rest of CONCACAF except for Mexico. Not saying all or even most posters a like this, but there are quite a few. You know, the ones who think we should stomp Jamaica and Panama and want to fire the coach if we lose a friendly to Costa Rica.

The idea that some of the teams can play a pretty disciplined brand of footy, organized on D, with good, fit athletes, can either beat you by nicking a goal or two on counters and set pieces OR be pretty hard to break down has apparently never occurred to them.

Excuse me, the idea that some of the OTHER teams in CONCACAF can play a pretty disciplined brand of footy, organized on D, with good, fit athletes, can either beat you by nicking a couple goals on counters and set pieces OR be pretty hard to break down has apparently never occurred to them. Or else they can't see it through they Red, White, and Blue colored glasses.

The irony, is of course, obvious. When some of the smaller/less accomplished footy nations in CONCACAF start playing the way the US has played for the last 20 years vs. other soccer powers, and becoming very pesky and tough to beat as a result, then its obvious our coach is an idiot (be it Bradley or JK) rather than just make the observation that we are not Spain, and even they can have trouble against teams that are very organized on D and not too interested in getting anyone forward. It has been true of soccer for a very long time, and still is.

Wins are going to be tough to come by on the road in the Hex, and even at home. For the teams not named USA or Mexico, any road point against the top two may be the difference between 3rd/4th/5th come the end of the Hex. They'll park the bus and try for it.

15. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are the posters like what you mention, but a lot of us do realize that the results of the semifinal round were completely fair and deserved, while still thinking on a neutral ground, like, say, the 2014 WC venues, we play every team but Mexico off the field completely. While I know that is not at all relevant to how qualifiers go or how we should play in the qualifiers and personally did not freak out after any of the results with the exception of the loss to Jamaica (and then only bc of how we lost, not that we did), I still feel entitled to tell a poster that says that the current US team is a walk over for Jamaica that they're just plain wrong.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'd say these players have talent.....................but integrating them into the squad together at the same time will be tough. I'm watching the Liverpool game right now, and Sterling certainly does have talent. I have no clue why he'd pick Jamaica over England, but to each his own. Sometimes people go with their heart (and their mother's heart) over their head, though.

You can't completely turn over the squad without consequences, though.

A) The existing set of players that are going to be displaced by these newbies won't exactly be pleased. What effect will these new players have on team chemistry? There were indeed grumblings amongst some US players about all of the German-born players when the first joined up.

B) You can't expect these new players to seemlessly transition into the international game. Not all of our German-born players fired on all cylinders to start with.

sacpasse87 repped this.
  17. TheDread

TheDread Member

Aug 17, 2004
    You are right, but the thing is the team will probably only start 2 to 4 of the new players with the core remaining the same.

18. TheDread

TheDread Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Likewise, don't be surprised if the US does not get a win against JA again for a while.

19. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    We just did.

20. jahman

jahman Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Outside Reggae Land

Likewise!

21. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    No, you just lost. :p

22. jahman

jahman Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Outside Reggae Land
    We won at home and so did you.

23. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Did Jamaica even create a single chance from the run of play in that game?

24. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see this as being a huge deal. From what I've seen, countries that recruit foreign-born players tend to improve only marginally, unless the countries in question are true minnows that field mostly amateur teams. I've seen a lot of national teams that have one or two dual-citizen recruits, and the dual-citizen recruits are almost never head and shoulders above their teammates. All they really end up doing is adding depth to the team by giving the team more players who can play at the same level as its current starters. I watched a lot of AFC World Cup qualifiers on FSC last cycle, and in retrospect, I don't think even Qatar (which was notorious for naturalizing players) gained much from its international recruits other than increased depth.

Most of the players likely to accept a Jamaica call-up are not anywhere near seeing minutes for England, and Jamaica's already good enough that a mid-level EPL player (outside the England national team pool) is only a slight improvement.

25. TheDread

TheDread Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Did I miss Jamaica playing the US after Columbus? Darn, where was I ..and the rest of the world when that occurred?