Jaelene Hinkle

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I never asked that question, thanks.

Will you please substantiate your earlier claim?

2. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Agree. She played really well in the tournament, but I’d still like to see defensive players at a national team level, play that position week in week out with their club team. Not come in to camp and learn or re-learn the role on the fly.

3. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don’t care.

And I’m too lazy to go back and see why/who brought up Rapinoe in the Hinkle post. Maybe it was me...either way, I’m tired of talking about her. She gets enough pub as it is.

4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, she is going to be a first ballot National Soccer Hall of Famer...

5. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that internationals see this post but I just wanted to say that even though the USWNT won, yet again.... I hope they use their platform to speak out against atrocities going on in federations and in FIFA in general. We have this debate over Jaelene Hinkle who is born in the US and has a right to be conservative and honestly to a large 2019 community, bigoted in her disregards towards gay rights. It's not acceptable in this day and age in despite what Turnup Drumtp wants it. I like to joke as a homer during the tournaments but I rooted for the Italian team to get far because I knew in the past, they had a legendary mens team, but had no support regarding the womens team. Same with Brazil. Ultimately this isn't a political issue to me, this is a human rights issue. THIS IS A HUMAN RIGHTS ISSUE. Treat the women as you do the men, how is that controversial? Why in this day and age when any minute out, WWIII can break out because of eggplant flipping leaders want to rule the entire world and not care about the marginal populations like immigrants, gays, women, people of color, etc. ?

orcrist and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  6. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    And she wasn't, and didn't. That's the end of the problem. Stop there.

orcrist and Bob Lamm repped this.
  7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Right-- we're expecting way too much from someone who isn't even adult.

All those gay and Christian women already on the team need to cut a "girl" some slack, be adult about it.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  8. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    I may be behind on your discussion. Apologies for not having read it all first before deigning to post.

My point was not that the Dodgers did not try to force him to do anything. He postponed a start, rather than skipping the rotation completely. Though he lost Game 2, he pitched well, and then he did not allow a run in either of the other two starts in Games 5 and 7.

9. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    All three goals that the US gave up in the '19 WWC were on plays originated other than on Dunn's side. The foul-up goal against Spain came in the middle; the cross to Renaud for the header in the France game and the cross to White in the England game both originated on O'Hara's side. Good point.

kolabear repped this.
  10. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Yay! That's my point too! When Sandy opted out of playing a World Series game (where there was nothing the team could have done about the scheduling), the Dodgers did not try to force him to do anything.

When Hinkle opted out of wearing a jersey for religious reasons, the Fed *did* try to force her to do something.

We agree!

11. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    You have enabled a focus on THE issue.

Just because you proclaim it to be a human rights issue and not a political issue does not compel anyone else to defer to your unilateral determination.

After all, every explicit constitutional right came to be because 2/3 of each house of Congress and 3/4 of each state legislature voted to put such right into the constitution. That happens not because of Divine decree, or cowering deference by super-majorities to a disgruntled minority, but rather because super-majorities (reflecting, yes, political elections) insist on such results.

The moment one claims that an issue is a "human rghts" issue and therefore not a "political" issue, one purports to negate the liberty of everyone else to dissent, advocate otherwise or, frankly, even count.

You have a right to advocate for your position. But nobody else is compelled to accept it simply because you declare it a human rights issue, any more than anyone would be compelled to accept any argument I make where I purport to justify it, say, because I have a Divine decree to back me up (disclaimer - I never claim that my soccer arguments here have Divine backing).

y-lee-coyote and Timon19 repped this.
  12. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    We almost agree. Koufax did not opt out - he postponed playing. Now, he deserves respect for that, as well, but because Game 2 was the next day and he could pitch (and did), the consequences were less severe than, say, the day before had been a one-game playoff to decide a tied pennant race.

But we do agree that a requirement to wear a particular symbol on a jersey is being forced to do something.

This brings to mind that I have wonderful memories of seeing footage from the '70 and '86 men's World Cups in part because the uniforms were so simple and unadorned. But I digress.

13. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    So did Hinkle. Having your ace pitch on short rest in a WS is more consequential than having a potential fullback skip a friendly.

14. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    But Hinkle skipped the game entirely. By contrast, Koufax pitched Game 2 instead of Game 1. He was not going to start both!

15. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Again, she skipped one game. She didn't quit the team.

I'll say it again, the consequences of a pitcher forcing himself to pitch on short rest in a World Series ..... you can't compare it to a potential fullback skipping a friendly. It's ridiculous on it's face.

Hinkle's action did *nothing* to harm the team. Koufax's surely potentially could have. And, he was (rightfully, obviously) supported in his decision.

Hinkle missed one friendly. And, the Fed could have said "ok, it's not unanimous, we're not doing it." Or, the Fed could have said "ok, Hinkle, you were a monochrome number." I know, FIFA says the jerseys all have to be exactly the same. What are they going to do? Not sanction the match? Not start the match? Right.

So, the fine the Fed. That's the cost of allowing all of the players on the team a right to free speech.

16. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I still say, if the rainbow jerseys were anything other than a money grab by the Fed, then Mex should *never* be scheduled for friendlies. And, since they are, the men should be rocking the rainbow.

17. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #267 McSkillz, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Pride month is every year and will be until someone much more conservative than Trump comes into office and says that gays no longer have any rights anymore and need to be removed from society. Jaelene Hinkle would miss all the matches between June to July every single year if she was the official left-back on the team. It's a very important situation to address, even if they are friendlies, every friendly I'm sure is taken seriously by the coaching staff on how well of a plan they had for the opponent and if you have to rely on Hinkle to be your A-team left-back and she's going to be unavailable, it's going to cost too much to keep her on the team.

The point is, pride month is happening every year, whether people like it or not, whether Hinkle likes that or not. It's horrible optics to go and protest and say, we don't approve of pride month, let's eliminate it from sports because some conservatives are bigoted and don't want equal rights for gays. It would be a sad day in American history if something like that were to occur in the future but I would like to stay positive and hope that we continue to integrate all of our communities as one.

There was someone else that criticized me for saying that gay marriage was a human right and not supposed to be political. It is a human right and yes, it had to go before supreme court to make it acceptable but that's because for many centuries and the majority of the course of humankind, western society did not provide rights for the LGBTQ community, they did not provide rights for Africans because they considered them less human than whites and therefore thought it appropriate to make them slaves for 100s of years. The same is true for people in color when they were discovered by white European explorers, there was an ingrained racism that stemmed from simply.... you don't look like me, therefore, you must be something lesser than me since you aren't as "sophisticated" looking as an Englishman, Dutchman, American, etc.

So yes, unfortunately civil rights had to go through the political system because society at large had very outdated laws that discriminated African Americans, Native Americans, gay people, women, etc. It doesn't mean that these aren't human rights and shouldn't be celebrated in sports, where you have a diverse group of athletes from your country.

I'm not sorry for Jaelene Hinkle's "struggle", when you are trying to live in a global community now where we are valuing inclusion and rights for all communities, it's going to be hard if you are still stuck in a belief system that was very popular 2000 years ago, but not in this current modern time, she needs to figure out her balance and how she's going to live her life. It's no longer acceptable to exclude gays from marriage, and the belief that gay marriage is not right is going to become more outdated in 4 years, 10 years, and 20 years time. If she wants to live her life that way, then that's her decision but she shouldn't complain about not getting opportunities.

Oh lastly, for those that don't like politics and sports, newsflash... politics and sporting has been a thing since human beings went to "events" to watch games of some kind. Leaders and dignitaries were always in attendance, a sporting event was a main showcase for an empire. 1000s of years later, it's still the same idea. In many recent modern Olympics, the one thing you remember about 1936 is Jesse Owens making a statement to Nazi Germany, in the 1968 Olympics, you saw the three black athletes stand up proud and raise their fists in the air. That's one of the most iconic pictures in sports history and it changed public perceptions. Fast forward to the USWNT, whether people are happy about it or not, their win this year in the WWC 2019 is going to be looked at as a changing point in sports history. It could very well be the catalyst for the progression of women's right to equal pay in not just the United States but in other countries as well. It's a shining moment in US History and unfortunately there are some people in here that wish it never happened. Well it did. We all should be lucky to have witnessed it either live in France, at home on their phone, or at a watch-party in Somewhere,USA. We all witnessed it in here, and we all should be lucky to have experienced an important moment in sports history.

orcrist and blissett repped this.
  18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Surely you mean "friendlies", since I don't recall them wearing those uniforms during actual competitive matches that occurred 3-7 weeks ago.

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Everyone should be equal before the law.

I did not require ostentatiously wearing any clothing of any particular to deliver and fully feel and believe that statement.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  20. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No you don't have to wear any clothing to believe in civil rights. But guess what? Many people had to march in the blistering heat holding signs that said equal rights, many had to march in the rain, in the snow, in the most hostile cities to make the national news coverage, to make politicians turn their heads and listen to them, to make the entire nation sitting at the kitchen table turn their heads and look at them, in order for civil rights to be taken seriously and be made into law. And that whole process took centuries, little by little. with many civil rights activists dying or not living long enough to see the end result. All of this so that people like you and me, don't have to wear anything to make a statement, we have people already doing that for us. But please understand, that wearing and holding signs, and making a statement, that's how the most powerful people in the world notice, that's how the entire country notices, even if a lot of them are disagreeing with it. THEY are commenting on it and talking about it. That's how you get changes, when people start talking about it and going "oh my! Look at that Megan Rapinoe! how so unlady like of her, or how annoying of her to make statements".

I'm pretty sure in 50 years, there will be a statue of Megan Rapinoe. I'll bet you a 1,000,000 dollars on that. If you need to ask why, then you need to take a step back and look at American history right now.

orcrist repped this.
  21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Pretty sure I'm aware of history.

It took ALL KINDS to win the various fights for civil rights. That's the point.

22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    She has figured it out and decided her personal beliefs are more important than her USWNT career. Odd choice in my opinion but it's her life.

Hinkle never complained about a lack of opportunity. Some quack in Florida did. That's why this is so odd.

Timon19 and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  23. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    And in 100 years, someone will be offended by said statue and tear it down. If you need to ask why, then you need to take a step back and look at American history right now.

CoachJon repped this.
  24. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Wait - you're saying the women are going to wear the rainbow 1 month out of the year, from now until the end of time?

Seriously?

What rights do gays not have? (I say that as a supporter of the LGBTQIAPK community)

And, again, if the women are going to be wearing the rainbow one month per year until the end of time, the men damn well better be rocking the rainbow against Mex.

The media should be pounding the Fed about this, or their revealing themselves to be regressive, too.

25. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    All three goals, imo, after watching replays, where directly Abby's fault.
    When fronting a defender, speedy forwards easily get a step ahead of her.
    Even Becky's PK foul was a result of White beating Abby.