Jacob Thomas article

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Alex_K, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    This article is from today's "Braunschweiger Zeitung", my local newspaper. It says that Jacob Thomas has the potential to be one of the stars of this year's Bundesliga 2.

http://www.newsclick.de/corem/templates/Site/sport.jhtml?id=1895024

It's in German of course. I will try to translate it, but that could take some time. If someone is faster, feel free to post a translation ;) .

2. Brihodge

Brihodge New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Unterwegs
    I'm too lazy to do a real translation so to sum it up: Starts off talking about how Eintracht has one of the best forward pairs in the league and are happy about it but that both of them have problems with fitness (one has a torn ACL I believe), it then lists the other alternatives for strikers.

Specific to Jacob Thomas:

" Things are different by Jacob Thomas. The 25 year old Texan posseses spectacular properties. He is better at individual play than combining with teamates but he has improved his teamwork. His biggest strength is his speed that most likely makes him the fastest player in the second Bundesliga. In all the preseason matches he left defenders shaking their heads that he went by them like a rocket and it was said that he ran like a wolf.* When the middlefield can take advantage of his speed with good through balls he could become one of the stars of the 2. Bundesliga promotion campaign. Coach Peter Vollmann is sure that: "When he realizes his Tactical and Technical potential he'll be interesting for everyone in the 1st league, not only interesting, he'll be a prize""

Ok that's enough translation for me, if anyone wants to disagree with it feel free. I think I got the important info.

*this phrase is a more of a colloquialism that I can't translate too well, hopefully Olaf can.

3. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    That's indeed a nice sentence. 'Sich den Wolf rennen' is not adoptable to English I assume. Saying something like "In all friendlies he left the defenders shaking their heads who in vain had to run like crazy to catch the bold-headed rocket."

4. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Mixing metafors is legal in Germany?

Thanks for the translation!

5. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so. Glad to hear news about the ex-Austin Lone Star player.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Alex_K. Let me know how him and his club Eintracht do against SVW Mannheim on Sunday. :)
    Club website (auf Deutsch):http://www.eintracht.com/news/index.php

6. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Re: Re: Jacob Thomas article

Thanks for the translation. I had no idea how to translate "den Wolf rennen".

I am sure that someone will post his match report. ;)

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know his status with the Nats? Any player who is interesting to teams in the BL.1 should be on Bruce's radar, I would think.

8. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    Isn't he a backup striker? That's what I understood from this. Was he at Frankfurt last year?

9. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    He's not in the BL1, in the 2. Bundesliga.

And he was at Braunschweig last season.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buff, that's why BL.1 teams are interested in him, to acquire him.

11. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    He is in Braunschweig since 1999 (longer than any other player except the third keeper). Last year he played in most games (but not many over 90 minutes). He played mostly on the wings, together with two strikers.
    He still needs to improve a bit, but he can become a regular starter this year.

And Frankfurt isn't the only "Eintracht" in Germany. We have the name 25 years longer. :)

12. Brihodge

Brihodge New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Unterwegs
    Yeah Alex I know there are other Eintracht's, I just didn't feel like typing Braunschweig, what a name.

13. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I meant Braca_fan who confused Eintracht Braunschweig and Eintracht Frankfurt.

BTW, the English version of Braunschweig is Brunswick (like the Canadian state), which is the ancient German name.

14. Brihodge

Brihodge New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Unterwegs
    Wow, didn't know that thanks for the history lesson, maybe it will come in handy when i go up there for a game, and it's easier to spell.