Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Jacksonville Armada FC' started by mbsc, Dec 7, 2012.

1. sportzfrk99

sportzfrk99 Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little background on SSG and Mark Frisch (would-be owner):

SSG was started in late May of this year as a partnership between Mark and Dario Sala (former FC Dallas keeper now agent for a bunch of MLS players) and they immediately scheduled a friendly between Tigres and Cruz Azul at Everbank Field.

Our budding supporters group for Jacksonville had a tailgate and Mark Frisch stopped by to chat with us (he's a very personable and approachable guy). His family was interested in owning a sports team two years ago (Sea Best Seafood is the largest sponsor of both the Jaguars and AFL team Jacksonville Sharks). They started doing research on what sports and leagues they could own and have a team in Jacksonville. After the USA-Scotland friendly, they were sold on soccer and looked into what league they could own a team in. Mark was sold on the NASL after hanging out with Tampa Bay Rowdies CEO Andrew Nestor and seeing a game at Al Lang (makes me happy as a Rowdies supporter).

Basically this is not something that just popped up in the last two months, Mark Frisch has been working at this for two years. His company is incredibly successful in Jacksonville and as an owner they easily meet the D2 requirements for ownership (as well as market size)

The vote on the 25th of this month is a mere formality and Jacksonville's NASL team would start in 2015. His plan is to have a temporary home (on Twitter he mentioned the Baseball Grounds and UNF as possibilities) and eventually build a stadium downtown or on the southside near the Town Center and UNF (JTB and I-295 interchange).

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2013/07/11/sunshine-soccer-group-would-look-at.html

2. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I can tell you that it really made news in the U.K
    Al-Fayed have been a much loved owner of Fulham for decades, basically he dragged them up from the 4th tier to their present Premier League status.
    But at 84 he feels that it´s time to pass on the club.

Wouldn´t surprise me if the mayors effort have been quietly encouraged by Khan himself, the plot thickens..

3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad Shad was forced to keep the Michael Jackson statue. That Al-Fayed is one crazy cat. o_O

4. boa3532

boa3532 New Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Jacksonville
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I'm living in Jax and I'm hoping the news will be a NASL team comes to town. I was sadden but not shocked to see FC Jax Destroyers are now defunct. I can tell you that the attendance numbers are a bit skewed. The first season they allowed kids wearing their soccer jerseys from their rec leagues in for free which contributed heavily to the high attendance. There were some radio advertisements as well. The next season I didn't see any kids in soccer jerseys and I didn't see any advertisements anywhere. No wonder attendance dropped.

That and winning just 2 games in two seasons doesn't help at all :rolleyes:

Shopping Cart Man repped this.
  5. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Good to see that they are talking about their own stadium. Nothing in Jacksonville really works for the NASL and UNF or EverBank would have to be temporary.

6. sportzfrk99

sportzfrk99 Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Taking deposits already for 2015? Good move.

11. sportzfrk99

sportzfrk99 Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah we're not hoping for some ridiculous number by the NASL meeting, just a couple hundred would suffice. Mark Frisch mentioned he'd like 500. It's a bit out of reach IMO, but still possible.

12. Daniel the Bricker

Feb 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Awesome new that you guys are already starting season ticket deposits.Best of luck from the BYB and Indy

Shopping Cart Man and sportzfrk99 repped this.
  13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Congratulations Jacksonville!

***Evidently in 1981, someone either bought a giant eraser or a few cans of green spray paint to get rid of the football lines*** :D

ChuckDzzNutz repped this.
  15. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure the proper channel to go through, but now that it's official, JAX needs it's own thread in the NASL forum.

16. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. sportzfrk99

sportzfrk99 Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get 9 buddies to create Big Soccer accounts for a day or two and have them post there :p

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/jacksonville-nasl-thread.1991301/

Also if you know any Jacksonville Posters that you may see in the USA Forums, just tag them in that thread, that is what I did for Virginia ;)

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9 sock puppets will only get you in trouble. Don't do that.

20. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey I did not say that, I say get 9 friends to sign up for Big Soccer (Sorry about the day or two comment :p ).

22. boa3532

boa3532 New Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Jacksonville
    Club:
    Fulham FC