Jack Taylor dies at 82

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Jul 27, 2012.

1. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting, code1390.

Every article about him through the years has seemed to show him to be a class act. He had a full body of work, but I wonder if any other referee will be known--visually--his whole life via one famous still photo, the way he has with the foul on Cruyff. I would venture to say that few famous people, nevermind referees, are remembered in such a way.

3. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm assuming it's this photo?

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/art...+win+a+penalty+watched+by+referee+Jack+Taylor

4. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed, Jack Taylor was a fantastic referee and I remember well the world cup final 1974 between Holland and West Germany.

5. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    old fart :D

I don't even remember WC'74.

Then again, that was college - there are several missing years there. ;)

RIP Mr. Taylor. Maybe the queen will bump you up a notch so we can officially call you sir, as many players did.

6. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
  7. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I don't know about you, but if I were walking out there to referee the World Cup final, with the whistle (remember that, in his time, there were no FIFA Assistant Referees, so the other guys had also had the whistle in earlier matches), I would be so overwhelmed by the whole thing that it would be like I was in a coma for at least the first 10 minutes. Certainly true of some players! But Jack Taylor walked out there and immediately asked the question, "Where are the corner flags?" They'd been removed for pre-game ceremonies and the grounds keeper hadn't thought to put them back. There's no bigger game in the world but Jack Taylor was in total control.:notworthy:

8. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He gave Cruyff a yellow at halftime too for bitching about the WGER penalty decision.
    That was the first time I had ever seen it that.