Jack Jewsbury

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by okcomputer, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Wasting.Your.Breath.

2. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Uh that scoring is down is not the reasoning I am using to for my argument that creativity is down. I came to that conclusion independently and when further evidence game to the fore I pointed to it. It is not the pinnacle of my argument.

3. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    A little overboard?

You are being kind :)

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    That's the thing, essentially. People will accept much less in the way of evidence when it's in support of something they already believed. It was that way with the Iraqi WMD, it was that way with the "Bush Service Memos", it's that way with just about everything in the political world, because it's so ideological. One of the hardest things for anyone to do is reject a weak argument that supports their conclusions.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    A) I suggested recently that it's more fitting to chart, as I believe the EPL teams do, shots on goal/GKsaves from the penalty box in addition to counting the save percentage in general.

B) As to Crusio's assertion that stats don't tell you a dribbler from a screamer, one hopes that over the long-term, the screamers and dribblers would even out.

C) The save percentage may not vary much with the number of saves in soccer, but it may in hockey and/or team handball where a GK may get so overworked, he'll begin to let in easy shots after taking a dozen of them off his noggin.

D) To state the obvious, the save percentage has to be considered against the same competition as a Cobi Jones will likely shoot at a goalie's chest on a breakaway while a Thierry Henry would sidefoot it into the corner netting.

6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Oh, I don't know about that. I'm with the two of you this far.

7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cobi may shoot at the keeper's chest. What he will hit is the woodwork.

8. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Building a entertaining league and entertaining what certain fans want for their team are two different discussions. If we are talking about what I would want for METRO, then I agree with you totally. Winning is my main concern. If we are talking about building MLS, then I disagree. A better quality of play would be more desirable.

9. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    And remember that every time he puts it on the woodwork, or in the fifth row, it doesn't count against the keeper's average.

10. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    You are probably right. There are some trends that might be reasonably correct. I was just pointing out that there tons of variables to consider outside the world of numbers.

11. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    On the bigger stat issue, there are probably some stats that would give you a better idea of the league's absolute level. Sidefoot's suggestion might well be one. Another might be "shots that miss by more than X amount." But those stats aren't getting colelcted by MLS.

Perhaps that's because they're harder to collect, and most fans wouldn't follow them anyway. They'd rather offer up bullcrap like ". . . but Derek Jeter's a winner!" and "a 2-0 lead is the most dangerous lead in soccer!" (Thanks to numerista for that one :) )

In the meantime, Save Percentage, flawed though it might be, is probably the best stat MLS keeps. It at least makes an attempt to compare apples to apples. I'll take it against the goals scored average any day.

12. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I'd love to take the credit, but that's Kenn's baby. Anyway, as a Quakes fan, I'm starting to believe in it!

One other note that's relevant here ... during the conversation that sparked the whole BigSoccer stats interest, we discovered that teams that draw a lot of offsides calls also tend to have markedly lower save percentages. Because the offside trap has been gradually falling out of use, it may not be too surprising that save percentages are going up.

13. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's always struck me as the strangest thing. You hit the bar and it's not a 'shot on goal.'

14. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I understand that technically or physically the ball had no chance of going in if it hits the frame. However, I believe that could and does bring up the statistical oddity of a shot bouncing off the bar and going in without having been a 'shot on goal.' Something had to prevent the ball from going in the net for crying out loud, whether it's the keeper's hands or a few inches of woodwork is irrelevant imo.

This thread was brought to you by the numbers 6, 10 and 12. In addition to the generous support of the Stats & Analysis Forum.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's not. It's a shot on frame or a shot on goal-post. It certainly isn't a "shot on goal"

16. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany: Runner up in World Cup 2002.

Holland: Did not qualify for World Cup 2002.

Hmmmmm.

17. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but in 1998 the Netherlands made it to the semifinals while Germany just made the quarterfinals.

All in all, the Netherlands does remarkably well in the World Cup considering its relatively small size:

World Cup Finalists since 1970

Brazil............170 million
    Germany.........80 million
    France............60 million
    Italy...............55 million
    Argentina........35 million
    Netherlands.....15 million

18. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
    Back to the reason I started reading this thread: Jack Jewsbury.

I think he looks funny.

19. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the risk of dragging this thread completely off topic, it should also be noted that the Netherlands drawn alot of talent from their former colonies (Edgar Davids and a few other dutch players are originally from Surinam).

Now, while i dont claim that even comes anywhere close to putting them over someone like Argentina, its something to consider besides just the population of the country.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The 2,004 Euros where Germany failed to win a game is more telling.

Oh, and by the way, the comparison between the two countries youth development was provided to me by a <part-time> German youth coach, who lamented the state of the German youth soccer and extolled the Dutch soccer academies. (for fairness sake, I also recall a recent Marco van Basten quote that alluded that the Dutch are too offense oriented as they are likely to have midfielders playing defense, forwards playing midfield and so on, instead of fielding a Dutch Rusty Pierce)

Then we reminisced about the olden days when the German teams gave up nothing in terms of skill. As I've been trying to tell here to a surprisingly stubborn resistance of several posters, during their glory era of the 1970s, the Germans were incredibly skilled and their 1972 Euro winning side is the best team that I've ever seen. Their problems in developing skillful players are of a far more recent vintage.

21. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Didn't GREECE win Euro 2004?

22. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There're 2 players from Suriname (population: 400,000) on the present Netherlands team: Edgar Davids and Clarence Seedorf.

All the rest of the players were born in Holland.

23. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Jack is my new favorite MLS player after reading this thread.

24. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand (kinda) corrected, then.

25. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think they resolve that one by cheating. . . if it goes in (or the GK saves it), it's an SOG. If it goes out or back into play, not an SOG.