J-league in USA?

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by GoHawks4, Jul 28, 2002.

1. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to watch some J games in the US, but I can't find them ANYWHERE. Is there any package I can get?

2. i'm also looking for one before going back to japan. nice to see someone from elmwood park. i'm not far from your place. possibly in 2 or 3 miles. someone on this board called Elmwood Park is a evil place, what do you think? i thought it's better than Maywood park or melrose park

3. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EP is nice. Maywood is a shithole. Plus we have the Maroons. Where are you at? I'm on the South Side of Grand, close to 80th and Cumberland.

4. in river forest btwn north ave and division street. man, this is cool!! if you see an asian jogging btwn 11:30 PM to 1:30 AM, it may be me

5. oakydoaks

oakydoaks New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Denver, CO
    it must be a real nice neighborhood. I can't imagine joggin in that time period in Columbus.

6. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    River Forest is pretty nice. Elmwood Park is like that, too. The biggest crime here is speeding tickets. That's because some of the Mafia bosses (no joke) and their families live in EP. Nobody wants trouble in their back yards do they?

7. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I spent 3 months in Chicago. I lived near the intersection of Division, Milwaukee and Ashland. Lot of Mexican places, though they all tasted like crap.

I liked the city but I was there during the worst of the winter so I was absolutely miserable.
    ----------
    I'd like to know if/how you can get the J League in the US too. J-Ole's nice but I'd like to watch whole matches.

8. oakydoaks

oakydoaks New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Umm, I know one guy was getting all the Korean television channels from satellite dish.
    As long as you are ready to spend some big money, I don't think there's any problem with getting Japanese tv channels.

9. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at a Co-worker's yesterday and they had an NHK channel via their satellite. as far as TBS and other Japanese channels, I'm not sure about the deals, but I'm sure one can get some more channels.

10. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Right now, the best I can do is wait for the Japanese programming to come on the foreign language cable channel and hope there's J-League highlights....

11. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody here speak Japanese and can write in it?

12. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I can try. What do you need?

13. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking of writing some letters to the J-League officials about interest in the US and a market they could tap into.

14. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    You can write in English. The League has quite a few people on staff who are fluent in English. The problem as far as I can tell is that the interest on the US side isnt there (and Im not talking about fans, Im talking about broadcasters. After all you guys cant even get them to broadcast MLS matches on a regular basis, can you?)

I think the J.League *IS* interested in overseas marketing, but they havent really pusued it with much energy yet. I keep trying to convince them just to put up an English language page for the on-line shopping so that people can buy a team uniform without having to read Japanese. So far nothing has happened.

About your original question, though, if you buy a satellite package that includes NHK satellite service, you can see at least 2 or 3 J.League matches a week. I have heard that NHK BS is even available on some cable systems, especially in New York and Los Angeles. I dont know about Chicago, though.

15. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FSW, man. I think more people in the US care about the J-League than the South African AIDS...I mean rape...I mean murder...I mean Cricket team.

I for one would prefer watching the J-League.

16. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan
    TV Japan

You can watch J League action provided by TV Japan. It's on DISH Network or some cable systems.

"TV Japan provides Japanese Americans with premium Japanese television including top- quality broadcasts from NHK. Enjoy live news, documentaries, dramas, sports, variety shows, children's programming and other popular NHK programs. Don't miss exclusive coverage of Sumo Wrestling tournaments and the latest NHK News at 7 and 10." --- cited from DISH website

Check this out!
    http://www.tvjapan.net/eng/index_e.html
    http://www.tvjapan.net/subscribe/index.html

It's available through AT&T Broadband in Seattle but not in Oregon??!

17. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Nobody is interested in TV Japan?

18. chicago doesn't have many japanese. we only have small community near arlington heights, but not big enough to call it a town like chinese, korean, indian, italian, greece, and polish which we have here. we, however, still do have satellite tv (NHK i believe) available for japanese people. they'll show the national team game but won't show j-league games. if only we had more population in chicago, we could've watched j-league games here though. thanks for the tv japan link, but they don't do business in illinois.

19. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Same thing in Oregon. There aren't as many Japanese here as in Washington and California. There's no direct flight from Portland to Japan anymore. Delta has removed it. That sucks.

It seems that TV Japan is available via AT&T Broadband in Seattle and San Francisco, but not in Oregon in between... I feel isolated. Getting DISH Network is expensive, oh well, watching soccer in the US costs a lot. Right now I have to be satisfied with taped matches on FOX Sports World. sigh.

I wonder why there aren't many Japanese in a big, multiethnic city like Chicago. Do they dislike the cold winter or something? Chicago has some nice neighborhoods, doesn't it? I wanna visit the Great Lakes area someday.

20. Nakata10

Nakata10 New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Planet FIFA
    I think its more of big Japanese corporation presence, I used to live in San Diego California cause thats where alot Japanese companies came.(to take advantage of the US/Mexico border) I believe in that area Detroit or maybe Ohio has alot of Japanese people cause of the auto industry. However, I think there is a direct flight to Chicago from Japan.

I do miss watching J-league matches then again, I don`t remember watching many matches while I was in Tokyo, mainly Verdy games on late rebroadcast, and highlights.

21. oakydoaks

oakydoaks New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Denver, CO
    nah, all the American car companies own Detroit and Michigan. You can see especially many American cars in Michigan.

Ohio, on the other hand, do seem to be liberal about this issue and you can actually find many Japanese and German cars. But most workers in Toyota factory (or was it Honda?) are Americans.

22. LA Galaxy Fan

LA Galaxy Fan Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Tokyo
    You can watch Japanese News/Sports on KSCI 18 in San Diego, L.A. and Long Beach area. J-League, K-League and some asian league highlights footage on KSCI every monday morning. Some schedule may subject to change anytime.

23. LA Galaxy Fan

LA Galaxy Fan Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Tokyo
    Why can't we watch some great puroresu on Samurai! and Asahi-TV in Japan? :D

24. we don't have much immigrants in the us. most of them are either students or business men.