J-League drops "V-goal" format

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by skipshady, Aug 13, 2002.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Beginning next season in J League, all matches tied after 90 minutes of play will end as a tie.
    For the first 10 seasons of its existence, J-League has used the "V-goal" (or golden goal) format, in which up to 30 minutes of extra time would be played until one side scored. The winner of the v-goal period got 2 points instead of the normal 3, and if the match was tied after 120 minutes, both sides received 1 point.

Two reasons for dropping this format were cited, 1) to reduce fatigue and risk of injury for players and 2) to make planning easier for supporters (or more likely, TV networks).

Honestly, I don't know how this change will affect the game itself, but I'm sure Matsu or someone else has something to say about it.

It was a nice experiment while it lasted though. I suppose the league's founders were hoping the format would catch on around the world, and at that time, when Japan's economy was at its peak, such thinking wasn't considered too far fetched.

2. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan
    0-1 loss after 119 minutes of play turns out to be zero points. Pretty disappointing for the home side. 0-0 draw after 90 minutes of play at least gives you a point.

If the league were currently running without the golden goal system, the league table would look quite different. Stronger sides would be down and Kobe would be way up.

Weaker sides will be more pressured to get a point or three at home even if the opponent is Jubilo. Iwata and Kashima could struggle to win away from home. I think the new format will widen the gap between home and away.

I hope the league will be more competitive.

3. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Its unfortunate that they had to get rid of the golden goal. I thought it added a lot more excitement to the league. As long as they keep the two-stage format I dont think teams will be able to play for draws, the way they do in europe, but if they eliminate extra time AND make a single season, it could have a seriously bad impact on the league.

As it is right now, teams cant affort to play for a draw, because winning one point is not good enough in a season that lasts only 15 matches. The worst thing about matches in Europe is that teams who are tied after 75 minutes stop playing, and both sides just try to collect the one point for the draw. I hope this doesnt happen to the J.League.

But as for making the league more competitive, I dont see that happening. Home field advantage is meaningless in Japan. Teams win on the road just as often as they do at home. As for weaker teams doing better against powerhouses because of the new rule, I dont see it happening. Historically, Jubilo, Yokohama and Kashima all have TERRIBLE records in extra time, and the Antlers in particular! They havent won a match in extra time since early 2001. The teams that tend to win a lot of matches in extra time are actually those in the middle of the table, like Shimizu S-Pulse and FC Tokyo. For those teams, the difference between one point and two points wont really matter. And for the strong teams -- especially Antlers, Jubilo and Marinos -- the new format will probably let them collect MORE points than they did in the past by getting a point from matches which they used to lose

I can understand the reasons for making the change. The league schedule has become too crowded and players get too tired from playing so many extra time matches.

But I still hate to see extra time go. Some of the greatest matches in J.League history were decided in extra time, and if (for example) the tremendous comeback by Jubilo to defeat Gamba 5-4, a couple weeks ago, had ended in a 4-4 draw, it wouldnt have been nearly as exciting.

4. yetanotherkim

yetanotherkim New Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    I read that at the same meeting, the single season issue and the fall-spring season issue were voted against?

5. yetanotherkim

yetanotherkim New Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    "Golden Goal Suffers Sudden Death"

Great headline, Matsu... just getting better everyday!

6. tremendous comeback can cause tremendous pain for the loser.

7. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not compromise, and go with 10 minutes of overtime instead of 30 (like MLS)?

8. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The format sounded like something only Gary Bettman would love.

9. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Yes, 4-4 draw makes more sense in this case. J1 title race would be more interesting.