Ivy league colleges: what's the difference with public state universities?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by Belgian guy, May 2, 2006.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I have a friend with a law degree from the Sorbonne - he laughs at how silly it is since its not that prestigious but everyone thinks its awesome. Whereas his degree from a top ecole isn't relevant to almost anyone who's not French.

2. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    Nobody can understand french higher education. Even people working for it don't.

3. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    spoken like a true fan of new york....but we know you hold true to your midwest roots, haha.

If you say "Wharton" anywhere in the business world, it is every bit as prestigious as Yale, Princeton or Harvard.

4. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    DePauw (#7 on the CEO list), Denison, Wittenberg, Rose Hulman (whose engineering program is amongst the tops in the nation) are some other solid programs.

And other private universities that are out East offer great collegiate experiences. Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, BC, BU.

5. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Yeah, but no one in the academy takes B-school seriously

Of course, we're jealous of the cash.

:)

6. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you're talking specific grad schools now. In the context of undergrad only....Penn certainly doesn't have the same cache as Harvard, Yale or Princeton.

7. VOwithwater1

VOwithwater1 Red Card

Apr 23, 2006
    My daughter made Princeton but wanted to live in NYC so accpeted Columbia/ Thyen from Columbia went to school in Germany. Now for some reason she lives in Germany go figure.

Another difference between ivy league and state colleges is tuition on average Ivy is about 25 thousaND A YEAR MORE THEN state universities.

8. VOwithwater1

VOwithwater1 Red Card

Apr 23, 2006
    Wharton is a business school private school. Want to be a lawyer go to Columbia or Harvard graduate school.

9. VOwithwater1

VOwithwater1 Red Card

Apr 23, 2006
    Much harder to get into the Ivy league then any state University

10. VOwithwater1

VOwithwater1 Red Card

Apr 23, 2006
  11. VOwithwater1

VOwithwater1 Red Card

Apr 23, 2006
    It is hard to say what the exact qualifications have to be. You can have perfect sat 1600 and not get into certain Ivy school. A good Interview is very important good essays, well rounded person great HS grades with a lot of college credits top in hs that is a respected HS you can get in with a 1490 my daughter onkly felt like taking sat once. Captain of her soccer team for 3 yrs, coached soccer in Spanish harlem a lot of other Volunteer work and a ton of other stuff. Highest award in math. highest award in science 2 in a class of 800. 4yr ave 98.7

12. VOwithwater1

VOwithwater1 Red Card

Apr 23, 2006
    Harvard but Yale is moving up fast.

13. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    if you're wrangling over quality of education between Ivys, you're measuring milimeters in a race of miles.

(and since when does your undergrad mean anything?)

14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, I'm familiar with Wharton but thanks anyway.

I believe it's actually called Harvard Law School.

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say feet is more accurate....maybe inches if you're just talking about the top 3 or 4.

It can matter a lot when it comes to getting into grad schools.

16. EJDad

EJDad New Member

Aug 26, 2004
    So I'll bite as I suspect you may be fishing for a chance to brag on your daughter but is your point that all this got her into one of the Ivies or that it wasn't enough?

17. EJDad

EJDad New Member

Aug 26, 2004
    You can play fun games with statistics- Is that the academic budget or the whole university budget divided by the student population? If it is the later the numbers can lie as I don't think the Sorbonne funds athletics/arts/housing and food (aren't students at the Sorbonne more on their own for housing etc?) etc to the extent of Princeton or other US universities. Just the multi-million $$ athletic budget alone would skew that number.

18. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    fun discussion, but it depends on what you're going into. Medicine for example tends to look from undergrad at test scores > clinical/research experience > GPA/degree. Basically, if you have a 30+ MCAT, you'll be getting into med school in most states, no matter if you came from a top of the line school, or podunk state. (and if you come from podunk state and still got a massive MCAT, you'll probably have a good sob story to put your application over the top).

As for law and whatnot. I have no idea. (why anyone would want to be a lawyer, I'll never know)

19. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall my roommate in college did some research on this. She asked the admissions people at Boalt Law School if they favor students from private universities. They told her that they score applicants on several factors, and undergrad institution is one of them. So if you attended Harvard, IIRC, you get, say 5 points. If you attended a UC school you would get only 3. A state school would get you 2 points. Something like that. The interesting point being that it was harder for Berkeley graduates to get into their own law school than for Stanford or other private school graduates.

20. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    Fair enough. It is whole budget/number of students. And they are no athletics at the Sorbonne. However, that doesn't completely skew the ratio : 1 to 33 makes a gigantic difference, regardless of the details.

Anyway, you're interverting causes and consequences. To me, sports, arts, homely campus, international conferences and the like are all parts of university life. French universities can't do this because they don't have the cash. In other words : we don't have low budgets because we do nothing ; we do nothing because we have low budgets.

21. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    there is an undergrad program at Wharton, just fyi.

22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an IC grad I can tell you Cornell isn't popular in Ithaca either ;)

23. EJDad

EJDad New Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Could be but that implies that all of the things that US schools spend money on are things that they are happy to do. There are a great number of College presidents at all levels that would love to eliminate their athletic programs and all the $$ and headaches it costs them. Not to mention the Rec centers and fancy dining halls etc. Doing that however, is suicide. Sometimes they need to spend money on things that are off of the universities primary mission. Might be nice to run a school where you paid the faculty, provided them with research space etc admitted the students but they were responsible for their own lives outside of the classroom.

24. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So in post #53 you weren't talking specifically about Business school?

25. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    By that same token, we should end every single all time footballer debate, because they're all better than 99% of the population.
    The devil's in the details, or, inches, in this case. Its no fun comparing Yale to Kalamazoo State - that answer's obvious.