Ivy league colleges: what's the difference with public state universities?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by Belgian guy, May 2, 2006.

1. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Ivy League: literally an athletic conference of private schools.

Not necessarily the best schools, or the oldest, but an athletic conference that carries a lot of bizarre presteige in the American Media.

2. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    No : that carries a lot of prestige in the entire world.

3. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Yes, it does carry a lot of prestige. But in case our Belgian friend is still reading this thread, it's worth pointing out that Ivy League schools are not the only excellent private colleges/universities in the United States. For undergraduate purposes, places like Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore, Carleton, Macalester, and other small colleges are comparable in quality of education to the Ivies. For graduate studies, probably only Chicago and Stanford measure up across all fields.

4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    If by measure up you mean "trying to catch up to Berkeley", sure. ;)

5. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I was talking private schools.

6. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I suppose it depends on what you mean by "best" doesn't it? Ivy schools are consistently ranked in the U.S. News & World Report top 20 national universities.

As far as not necessarily the oldest.....
    Brown - 1764
    Columbia - 1754
    Cornell - 1865
    Dartmouth - 1769
    Harvard - 1636
    Princeton - 1746
    Penn - 1740
    Yale - 1701

.....so what do you mean? William & Mary is older than all but one? Is that your point? Geez, at least know something about the subject if you're going to post about it.

7. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    Undergraduate purposes ? Do mere undergraduates possess any civil right in USA ? Has american academia fallen that low ?

Ok, jokes notwithstanding, I was talking about fame only, and not quality of education. You can't say US liberal art colleges have an international reputation. I won't even say that Dartmouth, Cornell, Brown or Penn, in Ivy League, have a world wide reputation.

But when you say Columbia, Harvard, Princeton or Yale, that rings a bell. And, obviously, Stanford and Berkeley too.

Of course, this is an humanist point of view. I guess a scientist will call names with a lot of "tech" or "lab" in them.

8. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Yeah, but how many of them actually teach the course? Many of these professors spend more time doing research than teaching.

9. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    my point was that most people think that the ivys are THE best schools in the country with no exceptions for program or otherwise. (Caltech, and MIT would beg to differ).

And as you said earlier, William and Mary is the second oldest school in the country. the 8 ivys are not the 8 oldest schools (again, another common misconception).

In no way was I dissing the ivys.

I'm a current (though tempoarary) ann arbor resident, and I hear way too many undergrads around here talk about how "UM is as good as any ivy league school". So I quiz them:

Do you know what an ivy leage school is?

- umm yeah, they're the 8 best schools in the country
    - yeah, they're the first 8 schools in the US

Can you name the 8 schools?

- ummm, .... Stanford.... Northwestern... Amherst.... NYU... and other correct or incorrect answers....

when I tell them that the ivys are an athletic conference of private schools, no one believes me.

10. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    The results of your quiz tell more about UM undergrads than about the Ivies.

11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although that "problem" does occur everywhere....it's more the case in hard science and engineering focused schools than it is in liberal arts focused schools.

12. flyzeggs

flyzeggs New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I'm sorry but both Penn U and Cornell are at least more prestigious than Columbia.

OK maybe not according to the US News rankings. :eek:
    http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc_brief.php
    Penn is higher and Cornell is close behind.

13. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Columbia is clearly more prestigious than Cornell or Penn. Part of that is because its more exclusive; its far harder to get into Columbia than the other two.

14. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    true, but my point was about the perception of ivys to the public more than anything. Students at a top 30 or so university are so impressed by ivy league presteige, yet dont actually know proper facts about the schools they hold in such high regard. For all the presteige given to the ivys by the less educated general public, quite a bit of misinformation is swirlled around.

/2nd tier LAC student, btw...
    //still going to med school in a year's time.
    ///what's a teaching assistant? :D

15. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    I guess Cornell is very popular in Ithaca :rolleyes:, but not in Europe.

16. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    That's true. The Ivies are more famous, no doubt about it. The point I was trying to make is that if the Belgian who started the thread is considering higher education in the United States, it would be a mistake to limit his search to the Ivy League schools. They may be the best known, but they're not the only options for good learning. That's all I'm trying to say.

17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For that matter it would be a mistake to limit his search to just private schools. Tons of good state schools as well.

18. Niloc

Niloc Member

Jul 31, 2004
    US, Japan, Korea, UK
    The Ivies can be separated into two tiers
    Harvard
    Yale
    Princeton

Cornell
    Columbia
    Penn
    Dartsmouth
    Brown

One thing about Cornell though that no one really seems to take into account is that it is really around 7 colleges stuck together into one University. A couple of these "colleges" are state funded and thus they are not private institutions per se. They have very high acceptance rates NY state students and thus tend to skew the numbers when it comes to US News statistics.

In actuallity the A&S college and Engineering college are the two that are highly competative to get into. (something like 14%-17% any given year)

Also when it comes to prestige you will be hard pressed to find a hotel school that is better than Cornell's.

19. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    agreed. You'll save yourself a lot of $$$ too if you find a school in the midwest.

any of the big-ten schools are great publics with good reputations (northwestern is private, but expensive...great school though. I'd love to get into thier med school).

For small schools, Oberlin, Kenyon, Carleton, Macalester, Kalamazoo, and a few others...

20. hairypotter

hairypotter Red Card

Apr 28, 2006
    what is the best out of all the ivy ?

21. flyzeggs

flyzeggs New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    lol

What you said about Cornell is right, but according to most peer rankings right now, U of Penn is better than Princeton, Princeton is of course more prestigious.

I'm pretty sure Cornell accepts fewer students than Columbia but I might be wrong, Columbia is huge. Either way I guess it's foolish to assume that people outside of the US (where I've lived at least) don't know about Cornell or don't consider it to be a great university. But you're definetely right in asserting that it can't compared to Yale, Harvard or Princeton.

22. flyzeggs

flyzeggs New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    It isn't very popular in Europe, but it is popular.

23. flyzeggs

flyzeggs New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    They kinda do... But I unserdtand what you're getting at. Some European universites like: Strasbourg, Paris-Sorbonne, Heidelberg, Cambridge and Oxford are more prestigious.

24. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    Well, of course, everything depends what kind of fame we are talking about : among broad audience, or among world academia only ? I guess most scholars in Europe know Cornell, Brown, Dartmouth and Penn. But I'm sure that ordinary people don't.

Ohh, I wish that Strasbourg were a famous university. My Phd would acquire some sparks and glitter. Unfortunately, we're nowhere near Cambridge, or any of the Ivy (at least not in humanities).

And the Sorbonne ? A little stat here : Sorbonne's budget per student is 33 times lower than Princeton's. Yup : 1/33 of the Princeton budget. The fact that some research is actually done in France today is a miracle.

25. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Columbia should not be lumped in with Dartmouth, its more prestigious. Penn is a good school as is Brown, but they're not as prestigious as Columbia. (I've never attended a private university, so I don't have any biases here.)