Ives Take on the Game

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sweeper, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
  2. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Interesting to read his favorable comments on Monday regarding Gooch and Reyna. I agree that they were two of our better players. Just listened to the Arena news conference (USSoccer podcast) and he cited the central defenders and Reyna as among the few he thought played well. Arena also gave some praise to Convey, saying it will hard to take him off the field.

As far as Ives' lineup, I think playing Convey as the left mid in a 3-5-2 is asking for trouble. Bobby is not quite there yet defensively at this level. Starting JOB is also a big risk. He is close to being back offensively, but his defense is not anywhere near what we need. And finally, the Berhalter idea is um weird. Put Boca there instead. I generally likely the idea of a 3-5-2 against Italy, but the wings are gonna have to concentrate on defense.

3. Chung'sleftboot

Chung'sleftboot New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Eddie Pope at CD vs. Luca Toni?

U.S to come out in 3-5-2 expecting the Italians to sit back and defend all game?

I think the Italians will do just the opposite, attack and try to snuff us out fast.

4. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting comments but I think that his 3-5-2 lineup leaves us really exposed on the left side.

I just don't see us starting with a 3-5-2.

5. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    out of curiosity, who would you play in place of pope to take care of toni?

6. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    No need to break from a 4-4-2. And it's all on Arena if Dempsey doesnt play SIGNIFICANT minutes if not start.

7. Chung'sleftboot

Apr 3, 2004
    4-4-2

Give Jimmy Conrad a chance and let Gooch sweep.

Gooch can mark Toni on the restarts.

Conrad will not stop, knowing that it would be his ONLY chance at glory he will play his guts out!!! :)

8. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    To be honest with you, I think that a 3-5-2 is a very good idea. It's a gutsy lineup to have against the Italians and I think it would've been a good and gutsy thing to do against the Czechs. Of course I think the US team would've been better served in it with a Corey Gibbs avialable. But they can still pull it off IMO.

I mean, why not? If the USA falls in this cup, which I hope they don't, at least go down taking a risk and leaving it all on the field. I'm not sure who Ives is, but I like his opinion on this one.

9. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can almost call it a 'safety' 3-5-2. With Cherundolo on the right side of the mid-filed he can slide back to create a de facto 4-4-2 if the Italians are pressing. If the Italians sit back, he will function more as a midfielder. It's an interesting idea. Still, I think I'd rather get Dempsey on the field.

10. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    ugh.

like we got any room to play safe.

we should play a 3-5-2 that looks more like 3-3-1-4.

WE.NEED.GOALS.

11. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction. WE.NEED.POINTS.

A 1-nil win is sufficient. There's no reason to get out of control in the opening minutes like we did against the Czechs. Our overzealous approach helped lead to the first goal.

12. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Yeah we need points. And we need to recognize that we are playing a more skillful, superior team. That should dictate our strategy. If we go to a 3-5-2 it should be of the defensive variety, with the wide mids playing defense first.

13. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Come on...

14. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    exactly....then reyna or job will move up and cover that right side of the midfield (when dolo drops back)while the remaining last player will play a d-mid role.

all players have to be on the same page for the 3-5-2 to work. If we have the italians on thier heals (knock on wood) we can then unleash a fresh dempsey and/or DMB at them in the 2nd half.

if we're winning 2-0 bring in Benny Olsen and have him clip Totti till he looses his temper and gets ejected

15. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Um, you do realize our goal differential currently, right? We DO need goals if we expect to get out of this group (which I'm doubting will happen anyway).

16. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    True, but I think the other poster meant that if we get our 6 points we won't need to worry about goal differential.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The US will get killed in a 3-5-2 vs. Italy.

They'll just go over the top and all of the match-ups favor the Italians.

18. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but if we go balls out looking for goals we won't win and will add to our goal differential. We have to win. If we do we can look for goals against Ghana. This isn't the game to look for goals.

And yes I do realize we lost to the Czechs 3-0. I live on Planet Earth.

19. Chung'sleftboot

Apr 3, 2004
    I agree with it being gutsy. We played the 3-5-2 in the second half of the CR game. Rosicky showed what it looks like to burn 3 flat backs. Don't you think we need a little more stability and depth defensively?

Also, I don't think having more players in the midfield is a good thing offensively. With the U.S. I would rather have less players and more space in the midfield. Let our speedy midfielders run at the Italians and not have a clogged up midfield that they thrive on.

Brazil also plays 3-5-2 and is very good at it, but they don't give the ball away 60 times a game.

We did miss Gibbs for sure.

Cheers

20. Chung'sleftboot

Apr 3, 2004
    Come on what?

Conrad could hardly do worse than Pope, who allowed his man to humilliate him in the first 5 minutes like Koller did. :rolleyes:

21. Diomedes

Diomedes Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can pull that one by the ref w/o being caught, I'm all for it!

22. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me out of taking risks at this point. If we fail this cup lets do it playing the best version of our game we have, and thats not some gutsy formation. Sorry to sound negative but I have never seen us pull it off; so lets not attempt some half-baked version of something we never do with people where they have never been on the world biggest stage.

Dance with who brung ya, 4-4-2

23. Mitre

Mitre New Member

Sure just put Keller, Howard, and Hahnemann in the goal all at the same time - although I'm sure Italy will still score :p

Seriously though, Ives is correct - Reyna is a must start. And as sick/injured as he might be, they'll need O'Brien in the starting mix also, at least to give extra support Donovan and sustain some early momentum going forward. A lot of people would pencil in Mastroeni (probably to watch Totti), but the US has to take a chance on O'Brien's touch and vision in there (even if he's not 100%). With that, I hope Arena tries the 3-5-2 Galarcep suggested (and does actually put Dempsey in at some point if this team still needs balls) because I think it gives the US more passing options than just the long ball and the backpass and it needs more people who can actually pass the ball.

The US is outmatched everywhere, so the passes have got to connect quickly in the midfield for whomever is on the outside to go at Italian players, find space and find Johnson and McBride - that's why they need someone with O'Brien's vision alongside Reyna to open up the field and support the attack-
    NO MORE BACKPASSES and NO MORE TELEGRAPHED BALLS! :mad: