Ives: Szetela to sign with Roma

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by scaryice, Aug 7, 2007.

1. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    That would be pretty accurate.

2. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If this is an actual fact of his transfer I think this is a good move for him, and he will learn very much from these players from Roma. I do think he might get a chance, but overall will end up playing full time for another team.

3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Not the greatest start today in the first leg in Italy.

A 1-1 draw at home for Lazio along with two red cards.

4. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I think it was actually 3 red cards. Lazio is going to have a tough time in Dinamo Stadium in 2 weeks at Bucharest. I've actually been there, the fans are going to be rabid with excitement.

5. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. SDBhoy

SDBhoy New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    Am I the only one that just had a horrible flashback to last year with the Gooch saga in mind?

7. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Wait, was it Lazio, or Roma?

8. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lazio and Roma have both been 'near a deal.' Also mentioned have been Everton, Spurs, Man City, and I think Celtic. He's going to be like Dalby: a million offers from big Euro teams, but somehow he still ends up in MLS.

9. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I told all of you not to believe it until it happened. It's Shep talking up his client!

10. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I actually read his book about the Cosmos--back in the late 1970s, when I was like 14 years old. And I believed every word! Thirty years later--I feel like A TOTAL SAP!

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Is that the book where he claimed that in the 72 Olympics against Germany he made like 48 - fortyeight! saves?

If so, I was duped as a kid, too.

12. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    But it seems it fell through because he went to Lazio looking for a better offer. It didn't fall through because he talked up his client it fell through it according to the Italian press because Lazio stumbled on Wednesday. It wasn't as if he never got an offer from either club. Everything Shep said happened. He expected an offer from Lazio, he got one contingent of Lazio gaining a Champions League spot, Lazio got a 1-1 result with three red cards, and Lazio have other priorities.

13. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and considering they lost that game to W. Germany 0-7, he must have faced 55 shots on goal. Probably a few of those struck him in the head and affected his sense of truth and fantasy...

from http://www.rsssf.com/tableso/ol1972f-det.html

31 August 1972 Munich
    Att: 65,000 Ref: Marco Antonio Dorantes (Mex) HT: 2-0
    WEST GERMANY 7 (Bitz, Hitzfeld, Seliger, Nickel 4)
    UNITED STATES 0
    West Germany: Wienhold - Baltes (Mietz), Bleidick, E.Schmitt, Haebermann -
    Bitz, Hoeness, Kalb - Hitzfeld, Nickel, Worm (Seliger).
    USA: Messing - Bahr, Ziaja, Hamm, Stemke - Stam, Roboostoff, Trost - Gay
    (Zylker), Demling, Flater (Margulis).

14. FantasySportsMatrix

FantasySportsMatrix New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Sunnyvale, CA
    had the same thought. I had a feeling it was too good to be true. Argh.

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

If I understood Rongen's comments on this evening's MLS broadcast, he expects Szetela to move after the MLS season. Don't hold me to this one, because (a) to me, much of what Rogen says is unintelligle; and (b) I was reading "Dolphins at Daybreak" aloud to my young son during much of the first half, with the tv (mostly) muted.

16. soccerfreak9210

Mar 19, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Szetela is goin to roma in the winter unless mls clears him before august 31st...he is not going to lazio or anywhere else unless it is on loan from roma...im friends with his cousin, he knows what danny knows

17. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Been there. Good times.

18. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Very interesting.

But I can tell you that the possibilities of Roma loaning him to Lazio (their arch rivals) are basically non existent.

19. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless they've secretly programmed him to score own goals at key moments.

20. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So overall what are the main words on this? Is going to Roma for real, or its just another hit, and miss for him?

21. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    I'm not sure why anyone interested in actually seeing him play in Europe is rooting for him to head to Roma or Lazio. Not to knock his opportunity, but I have a hard time seeing him break into either squad unless he really matures over a period of time there.

I know this isn't a purely an apples to apples comparison, but consider Benny Feilhaber. Started a few games for Hamburg last year. Now is playing with Derby County. Now maybe its an unspoken strategy for most Yanks to shoot high knowing that they will eventually be loaned out or sold to a lesser squad, but as a fan who wants to see our guys actually play, seeing these big ticket teams thrown around as a possible destination is actually discouraging rather than exciting. The same was true with the "Gooch to Real Madrid" stuff last year.

I know that comes across as a pessimistic view, but I prefer the Claudio Reyna european tour model to the Jovan Kirovski one.

22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    hooray for mediocrity

23. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    If the shoe fits...

24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    the attitude is the wrong thinking... American players should be striving to get to the top clubs and move onwards... one of the reasons why the national team is so bad is because we only have decent mid to lower level players... not a guy has two top 5 Italian clubs after him, and he should rather look at a club like Derby County? this is stupid

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Water finds its own level. If he can make Roma's rotation within a couple of years, all's the better. If he can't, he'll end up somewhere less fashionable.

But he'll be getting solid coaching with big clubs.

Nothing's lost.