Ives: Szetela to sign with Roma

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by scaryice, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't think that maybe Shepp's client wants to leave immediately, not five months later? In which case, MLS's signature is critical. Please consider.

2. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    It would be to Danny's benefit to leave now, its going to take time to adjust to Euro football and break in with the team. Better chance of getting playing time if he can manage to make the move now rather than mid year. I hope it works out.

3. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Szetela to Newcastle in January according to Greg Lalas and goal.com.

4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Celt_Quake

Celt_Quake Member

May 18, 2005
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well Greg and Shep are TV partners so this looks like good info

6. izha

izha Member

May 24, 2002
  7. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    He has a chance to succeed. Would've loved to see him in somewhere warmer and nicer but Newcastle are massive.

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Massive!

Ok, new thread, anybody?

9. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

We have had so many what looks like official or about to happen stories with Danny. I guess I will just wait for something more official than Alexi's brother.

10. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BSA will make a bulldog out of him not mention facing Nicky Butt, Joey Barton, and Alan Smith in the midfield everyday. I imagine he'll be groomed for the holding midfield role and learning from Nicky Butt and Geremi will only help the boy grow his game.

11. Toon16

Toon16 Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except he's better. ;)

I'm really excited about this signing.

12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and he won't be expected to perform right away. He's going to be learning his craft and getting some quality playing time in the reserves.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The latest from Ives ...

http://njmg.typepad.com/sbi/2007/08/szetelas-roma-d.html

Danny Szetela has not signed with Roma, Brescia or even new player Newcastle United. At least not yet.

Conflicting reports have the Clifton-born midfielder headed to everywhere from Rome to England but as of early this evening Szetela has yet to sign a deal with anybody. Sources close to Szetela insist that the Columbus Crew midfielder has yet to decide where he will move to next, but will decide by early tomorrow.

One source told SBI that Szetela has rejected the Italian suitors in favor of a move to Newcastle United, but a source close to Szetela insists that he hasn't signed a thing yet. The same source also denied rumors that Szetela was in Italy to broker his move to Roma.

14. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    sounds like young Danny needs some good advice on how to not bungle a potential transfer. Would not be surprised if he was still in MLS next year. He seemed to botch his Everton transfer a few years ago.

15. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the stat line from C-Bus and his injury history he better sign quickly.

16. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well if he goes to Newcastle I think it would be a decent move for him, and I think he in a year, or two can crack the starting line up for Newcastle. Roma, and Lazio would be a tougher task for him to go through, but I think Reading would of been an ideal place for him. I think he can be the Sidwell replacement, if he grows to be the player he is supposed to become.

17. KennyWoo

KennyWoo Member

May 21, 2007
    Pasadena, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Szetela, but comparisons to Sidwell at this point? :eek:

18. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be pretty excited to see him suit up for the Toon. Hopefully this all works out and the kid is freezing his butt off in the Northeast come January.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    A word of advice to Danny - if Joey Barton dribbles around you in practice, do not commit a foul.

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree, not fair to call szetela a f*(&^ng turncoat ba*&*^d.;)

Despite the window silliness, why does Szetela have to decide today? he's six months from being out of contract, which means he can negotiate with anyone at anytime, if they're talking about a Jan1 move, after finishing the MLS season (which, I think, is his wisest call).

Unless he just wants out of MLS right now. but I can't imagine anyone pays MLS enough for two months of contract to make it worthwhile to let him go. I can see offers of $50k or so at this point ( I ean, he's gone on a free, and he's not playing first team before next year for any of the clubs interested in him).

21. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    This will be one of the best signings for a YA in recent times. His game will improve dramatically from playing in a squad like Newcastle, and atleast he didn't go to the American deathtrap that is Fulham who are assured of relegation this season. Good for him.

22. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pray that he doesn't go to the EPL... If there weren't any Yanks there I wouldn't follow that league at all. It's just a foot race all year long. Go to Italy Danny!

23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe I'm not getting your meaning, but isn't every euro league a foot race (clubs striving to finish first). Now, I'll agree, it's not an even footrace, but it's no more lopsided than others.

24. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I mean every game, at least every game I see, resembles a foot race. In Italy and Spain the games seem a little more technical.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    History suggests this is a far, far iffier proposition than you are asserting.

I'll tell ya, I continue to be amazed how the Europhiles keep saying this, directly into the teeth of the evidence. It doesn't work like that. It HASN'T worked like that.