Ives: Szetela to sign with Roma

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by scaryice, Aug 7, 2007.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    What about "tough noogies"?

2. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    To be fair to him he never said a signing was imminent, He always said he was waiting for offers, which he got it looks like from several clubs. I can't remember Shep saying Danny will be signing on the 19th for *insert club.*

3. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. We ain't buying your snake oil, Shep.

4. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you should go back and read the very first post in this thread, Chief. Ives said that "sources said" Danzilla had reached a deal with Roma and that the deal will be finalized in a week or two... three weeks ago. Who exactly do you think Ives sources were?

5. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    The voices in his head.

6. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad theory, but I think it was Shep talking up his client.

7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    and u can definitively say that? I didn't see the mention of Shep Messing anywhere in that article, and I also remember Messing coming out a few days later and saying those reports were not true

8. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shep said back in July:
    Shep said the day after the Ives story popped up:
    Shep is definitely getting buzz out there about his client, and Ives (who has historically been completely hysterically unreliable about Szetela) is hyperventilating about the buzz as much as the rest of you bozos on here.

Just calm down and wait to see what happens. We'll have a much better idea of what's going on in a few days.

9. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    The August 31 transfer window is closing....................................

10. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in 48 hours, give or take. And Lazio did make the Champions League, so...

Now he's "linked" to Brescia.

http://www.goal.com/it/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=397979

The source appears to be an actual Brescia paper. They say Brescia may make a "last minute" acquisiton.

11. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. Good chance of him getting PT there, I suppose, even though it's Serie B. I recognize a couple of players from their roster.

12. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    Hopefully for Danny's sake it happens

13. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great catch. I like the possibility; more PT and likely less of a shock in quality than going from MLS to a Roman team. Hope this one comes through.

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brescia may be the best option so far for Danny. Traditionally a Serie A club who've been down the past two seasons, Breasia, I assume have a decent shot at promotion. They've cast the eyes on American players the last year or so with Mastroeni twice being heavily linked. Though a fee was never agreeded on. I believe they were linked to another MLS player but I'm not sure who, could be wrong though. Danny would get a chance to play, in a less stressful environment but would have enough pressure of promotion to really groom him. Learning from Tacchinardi at Brescia could be a big bonus as well. I hope the Brescia interest is legit. It would make us all happy. Although I wonder if a deal to Lazio or Roma could result in loan to Brescia.

15. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Roma, the team that made a run in the U.S. Open Cup a couple of years ago? Cool!

16. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brescia has been a home for future and former Azzurri players: Luca Toni (ok, he wasn't that young when he went there but he did get called up the year after he left), Andrea Pirlo and Luigi Di Biagio.* Roberto Baggio also spent like 3 or 4 seasons with the club at the tail end of his career. I think Pep Guardiola also had a short spell with the club, although I can't remember if it was before or after his failed drugs test!
    All in all, there would be worse clubs for Danny to go to. Brescia have yo-yoed between Serie A and Serie B a lot, but I'm not sure if they've really challenged for promotion since they got relegated after Baggio finally retired--and I'm too sleepy to look up archives. Still, Serie B would be just fine for Danny right now.

*That's the first time I've typed or said his name since his penalty miss against France in '98. I suppose he's no longer dead to me. :D

Edit: Oh! How could I forget the evergreen Gheorghe Hagi, who played there late-ish in his career as well.

17. ACMILAN-Maldini03

ACMILAN-Maldini03 New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    FLORIDA, USA
    It is amazing the interest in this kid, this story has more legs than a centipede. Hell it has more legs than a millipede! I hear that the kid is good. But he is good here in the states. That's fine, and I think it's wonderful that we're getting to send more USA boys to European leagues, especially one like my country's SERIE A' however, this talent is being made to be prepped for a huge downfall if the "BIG SOCCER" community, is any kind of indicator. He will need to sit, for one thru-two years, and in that time he'll play in certain match situations, which will serve him well for his maturing process. Maybe, he can be in readied in 16 months??? But we must be patient with this talented kid... Buon Auguri and God Bless Danny Szetela and his new team whichever lands him finally! But please, lets leave the kid's press clippings and advanced projected potential enter the ether via the normal and natural way. "In time!" Ciao Danny Szetela and Good luck! Forza Italia, ed' buon auguri! Per favor ampara il italiano, e ti speriamo in America dopo d' tu grande carrera a Brescia? Roma? Inter? Bari? Puro il mio Napoli? ACMILAN -Maldini

18. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

As for Szetela's on-again, off-again deal with Roma, sources had the Serie A power agreeing to a transfer fee with MLS earlier this week that would have let Szetela leave for Italy immediately, but a falling out between Szetela and his representation put the Roma deal on life support. Also hurting the Roma deal is word that MLS tried to increase it's take in the deal to include a piece any future Szetela sale. The number I've heard on the actual transfer is $150,000.

20. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    he will make a free transfer too one of the clubs.......

fyi, shep is the most retarded agent ever.

21. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    A few items from today's transfer market news in Italy:

From today's La Gazzetta dello Sport online:

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Calciomercato/Puntomercato2/Primo_Piano/lazio.shtml

Next is a link from the website Calcio Mercato that claims to be quoting an article from La Gazzetta dello Sport in which it states that "Szetela will go to Brescia". It's also dated from today, which makes things a bit confusing.
    http://www.calciomercato.com/index.php?c=all&a=52813

And from the same website there is another link (again dated today) that quotes from an article in Il Messaggero that states that "Roma is negotiating for the American Szetela".
    http://www.calciomercato.com/index.php?c=all&a=52812

Hard to make heads or tails out of it all really. Could a young Yank really be involved in a 3-way transfer battle in Italy? I don't think we'll know anything for sure until the market closes.

22. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil

I can't tell if this thread is becoming the sequel to Gooch I or to the Brazilian kid's long saga (what was his name)......but Szetela has the matinee idol looks, so take THAT High School Musical :p

23. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    Lets hope his agent can close a deal.

24. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    This sounds like bullshit to me. He is able to sign a contract right now with any team on the planet. The only negotiating right MLS has left is the release date.

If Shepp allowed MLS to enter into the discussion before he had a deal signed he's a ********ing moron.

25. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    The sad thing is....Shep is a tard.