Ives: Szetela to sign with Roma

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by scaryice, Aug 7, 2007.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think the notion is that he'd prefer players to go to teams on which they'd play in the near term future. Szetela is a fine player, but he's not cracking (probably not sniffing the bench) the Roma lineup this year.
    There's a huge difference than being signed because you're promising, young and cheap and being signed as a player, and he's not in the second category.
    OTOH, sign for a smaller club (where I believe the managing/coaching is often as good or better, and they work with youth in the first team because they have fewer choices), improve for a couple years, then move to a larger club. That's a far more common route to the big time.

2. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    The Crew boards have absolutely hammered Danny about his play now 3 weeks in a row.

Folks say I am too much the booster. Is that enough realism for ya'? ;)

3. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I thought he's played well, I didn't get to see this last game but he subbed in the 77 minute right?

I actually saw him make some plays that finally opened my eyes to why these teams are "interested" in him. He really needs to get to Europe pronto and be challenged by the best. I like what I see in this kid.

4. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Crew board=Backwards

don't take them too serious... it will save us all a lot of brain cells

5. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He might not play for Roma, but I do think the Serie A will be a good place for him. We might all be wrong, and he might play though I doubt this I think he will gain experience, and move to a mid table team like Sampdoria, or something. This is a good place for him if he does go.

6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    But there's a very good chance that he'd end up getting a loan.

And getting loaned to a lesser Serie A club, or a Serie B club, would be a fantastic experience for an American player his age, provided he gets regular playing time.

7. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say that maybe and this is just a maybe but the people who post in the crew forum actually have seen him play more than in just the u-20 world cup. This kid has the skills but I have yet to see him put togeather a string of good performances. I know he is young but he has been wildly inconsistent or hurt. Everyone is saying how he needs to go to europe but he has yet to prove himself in MLS. I am not saying he shouldnt cause if he feels like it will further his career then why not. I would prefer for him to stay for a year or two and show is ability rather than everyone speculating about it.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Young players, esp good ones, are usually wildly inconsistent. They have the ability to perform at a high level, but haven't learned the professionalism needed to do it day in, day out.
    People want to see him in europe because they believe the learning curve will accelerate there. with some players, I don't agree. But is Szetela getting better, more consistent. Sounds to me as if he's a bit stagnant, which means time to move.

9. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect Danny had a big let down after U-20 World Cup and now with the distractions of possible trade to Europe its difficult to play day in and day out at the intensity level needed by the Crew. I agree its time for him to move before transfer window shuts.

10. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    Exactly. For Danny's sake he should absolutely go, but for YA fans excited about seeing Danny actually "playing" for Roma, I think that's probably unlikely. In fact, given his inconsistency with Columbus, a lower table loan might even be a stretch.

11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I would take that... and say you may be right... except these are the same people who called him a thug and wanted him gone yesterday... I think ya look at Szetela the same way many DC United/RSL fans looked at Adu...

12. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have no problem with a player going to a lower-level top-tier team, like Derby County. Every team in the premiership plays ManU, Chelsea, 'Pool, and Arsenal twice each. I would think the most development occurs playing against such top competition. Sure, the coaching may be better at the big teams... but then again maybe not; after all, these teams generally pick up players that are fully developed, or close to it.

I'd much rather a developing player gets playing time, rather than be on the bench for one of the big teams (and that is most certainly where they'll be if they're not up to snuff).

BTW, I haven't read through this whole (very long) thread. Any news on Szetela signing for a Euro?

13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just a techinical question on this: If he was signed by Roma, lets say tomorrow, or even in January, could he be loaned out this season? He's now registered with the crew, he'd have to register with Roma, and then he'd have to register with the club he was being loaned to, right?
    That would make three clubs in one July to July year, correct? And isn't the limit 2?
    I know Mascherano got an exemption, somehow, but that was the year of messed up deals, all the way around, so I don't see that as helpful. maybe it is.
    Or maybe I really don't understand this rule.:confused:

14. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ur right... altho it can be argued that since MLS plays in two windows, it should be an exception...

15. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but this is a FIFA law, right? Wouldn't they just say "It's not FIFA's fault that MLS plays in two windows," so tough cookies?

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And another technical question: where does this phrase come from? I've said it my whole life, but seeing it just now made me realize it makes no sesne...:confused:

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Im not disagreeing... if someone were to appeal, that would be the argument... that is all I am getting at...

18. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea! I'm not even sure which part of my ass I pulled it out of, since even as I was writing it I was thinking, "Does this expression even exist or am I about to get laughed off the YA forum?"

19. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Warning: I'm making this up. But I'm pretty sure that the original expression was "tough cookie" as in "he's one tough cookie." I'm assuming that the expression "tough cookies" (which I have heard on ocassion) comes from people mixing up the expressions "tough luck" and "that's the way the cookie crumbles."

I can't believe I just wasted 90 seconds of my life on that. Now back to a lack of news about Danny Szetela...

20. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    this is from the latest version of the Regs on the status and transfer of players.
    "Players may be registered for a maximum of three clubs during the
    period from 1 July until 30 June of the following year. During this
    period, the player is only eligible to play in Official Matches for two
    clubs." So he would be fine if transferred to Roma, never played a match and is loaned out to another team that he would play for. The limit he can't play for more than 2 clubs in the 1 year period. As long as he doesn't play for roma I think it would be OK.

21. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  22. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same song-and-dance Shep has been peddling for a month. A move is "imminent", to happen in the next few days.

We'll see. (a) If it happens, and (b) if it happens with the clubs Shep's been bleating about.

23. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Danny's sake it better happen.

24. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Well, if nothing else, there will always be a job for Shep with Standard Liege..

25. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you could be regestered with three clubs under the condidion that you only play for two (for this exact situation: sign-and-loan).