Ives report shed a lil light....?

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by PCFC, Apr 1, 2009.

1. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the only thing FCNY will prove by folding, is that not putting a team in the city limits...accessable by the subway, is a receipe for failure.
    This will not deter Wilpon from putting a SSS near Citifield...trust me.
    FCNY is a success if it's in NYC, and accessable.... even for USL, they will draw well...but staying out at Hofstra is going to make this club work.

2. HoosierToon

HoosierToon New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Hoboken
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's tough to locate any spot where a soccer stadium would be appropriate in Manhattan.

If the Jets couldn't get away with a stadium at the Atlantic Yards, that pretty much spells out what would happen if FCNY approached the city about a similar project. One of the strokes of genius (it's about time!) from NYRB was having the stadium built in Harrison, which is a very quick trip from NYC and Jersey.

3. BuddhaNYC

BuddhaNYC Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Queens, NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a 15000-20000 bear minimum stadium is different then a state of the art 80000 colossus in manhattan.. and we are not talking manhattan..more like queens or even brooklyn. and building a stadium in the suburbs of another state isn't a stroke of genius..but that's just my opinion

4. HoosierToon

HoosierToon New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Hoboken
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harrison isn't really the suburbs.

I was skeptical myself, until I tested a trip out there and it was incredibly fast. Far easier to get to than Giant Stadium.

5. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Jets didnt want any other borough then Manhattan, The city offered spots in Flushing Meadows , Aquaduct and near Belmont park. The Jets said no thanks

Budda meant FCNY playing out at Hofstra. I know the Harrison & Kearny area very well, good spot. I will go to a few games a year. Go for some fish & chips..cheap drinks at the Irish & Scottish American clubs then go to games

6. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    The Jets proposed stadium was in the West side rail yards, not atlantic yards.

The nets proposed stadium is in Atlantic Yards, and it passed. If it doesn't happen now, it's because of economics.

A soccer stadium in manhattan would be stupid.

You're comparing an 80,000 seater collossus on the west side of midtown manhattan to a 20,000 seater in Queens or Brooklyn?

You're knowledge of NY geography and history is stunning.

7. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is one positive that could be seen in the Red Bull takeover, blatant corporatism, failing play on the field, is that out of all the NJ spots Harrison isn't that bad. PATH access and non-swamp action is essential for any Metro area success. However, I doubt Red Bull can define success.