Ives report shed a lil light....?

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by PCFC, Apr 1, 2009.

1. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the Ives report.

Talks about NYC stadium, nicknames, and the "Grapple for the Apple"

What do you think now?

2. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    They need to keep working on the crest, like Austin did.

3. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See you guys at least had scarfs already made, we didn't. I think they will probably add a name to the crest: COSMOS, but they want to co-operate with a European club, I don't get it. Miami FC Blues is a nickname it doesn't have anything to do with Chelsea. The Rowdies have their own nickname. Why go the European name route? I'm wondering what the BB guys think,? they have been kind of silent ever since the announcement.

4. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for a nickname, there seems to be a rush to create one, let one create itself organically over time (even though USL insists that the team have one and even though the 'Cosmos' name was created by a 'fixed' vote).

It didn't take a day for the for the Mets to be called the 'Amazins' or the Yankees to be called the 'Bronx Bombers'. We're a big enough city to develop something on our own.

Or just by the rights to the Cosmos for 20mil from Pepe.

Holy sh*t Altidore with the hattrick!

5. BuddhaNYC

BuddhaNYC Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Queens, NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the wanderers nickname is given to clubs that really don't have a home field and "wander" from place to place. with the club moving back and forth from hofstra to the city, it is a fitting name.The euro tie-in is just for financial stability.

6. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I need whatever they are smoking. It is one thing to take on the RedBulls in an exhibition. Pretty good idea. But they think they want to be in CONCACAF Champions League in five years? Get real. I know they can qualify through winning the Open Cup, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that berth go to MLS directly as it expands.

The USL has a rule that all teams need nicknames? How stupid. Must be in their handbook next to "Thou shall have a generic clipart badge"

7. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PR Islanders did it in five.

8. CrewVillain

CrewVillain Member

Mar 21, 2002
    So FC New York will get to qualify with the Caribbean teams? That'll make things easier.

I want to like and respect this effort. I'm a displaced Crew fan who can't root for RBNY. I'd like another team that I could go and be a fan. I bet there are alot of fans like myself here.

What's holding me back:
    • logo, not only is it bad, but it's entirely based off of Queens' flag. I though this club was supposed to represent all of NYC?
    • the anti-rbny posturing, take care of your own sh!t first, then start looking for "rivals"
    • who the crap are these people anyway

9. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember one of Traffics stated goals for MiamiFC was to make the World Club Cup. Of course they stated that goal the same year the spot the US Open Cup had to get into the old CCC was given to MLS by USSF.

10. austinwetherby

austinwetherby New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea the crest needs work, but tleave that flower on their, queens all day baby

11. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Once again. I really need to see what kind reward there is for tipping off the DEA. The USL is certainly partaking of some illegal stuff.

12. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    All credit to Montreal and PR, especially PR. Montreal had a fairly easy route to qualification. Puerto Rico did at least have to beat a bunch of Caribean clubs to earn their berth. Winning the Open cup for a USL club isn't a piece of cake.

And if Charleston won the Cup last year against DC, how much you want to bet that the berth for the winner would disappear real quick.

13. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    The Open Cup champion plays in the Champions League because they're champions of something.

14. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you're a big enough city for 10 different groups to develop something on their own and then all of them will castigate and complain about the idiocy of everyone else's independently developed nickname.

15. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    And your point is? The folks at MLS HQ will see to it that the bid for the Open Cup Champ is 'reassigned' if USL clubs make a habit of winning it.

My point was, don't overreach with these grandiose statements that have less than a 1% chance of occurring. Instead of saying we want to be in the Champions league in five years, say something like, we plan to take the Open Cup very seriously and aim to be competitive against MLS.

16. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    The federation controls CONCACAF allocation, MLS HQ has nothing to do with it. It's also pretty well know that they don't always see eye-to-eye.

The Open Cup champions are more deserving of a spot than some team who finished mid-table in MLS. And that's what 4th place is in MLS, it's mid-table.

So in your eyes FCNY should announce to their fans that they have grand designs on mid-table finish and are shooting for a cup quaterfinal appearance? Good idea, I'm sure they'll attract the Charlton loving English ex-pat market.

They have every right to shoot for the stars. Just because they aren't an MLS team doesn't mean they have to "know their place". They simply aren't going to do that. Montreal and Puerto Rico have given USL teams real hope, and USL teams have done things MLS teams have never, ever done. They will say big things, and you can bet they will do everything in their power to act upon them.

Remember, a USL team has nothing to lose.

17. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Who do you think US Soccer wants in the Champions League? Get real. They want MLS. They also want MLS to do well.

What Montreal and PR have done is outstanding. I bet you will see MLS clubs take the Open cup and Champions league much more serious this year. If they don't then they are stupid.

When the Rowdies announced their new team. If they said they want to be in the Champions League within five years, I would have laughed myself into a coma. As soon as I came to, I would by tickets. Because I like soccer and have not had a local team to support in a long time. Just win the USL title and I will be happy. Beat some MLS sides in the Open cup and I will be happy. But don't expect me to believe that an American USL club is going to be a regular fixture in the champions league.

18. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Why??? Because it's going to hurt your ego less? WTF do you care?!??!?! If anything it bothers your ego and you want it to stop. Grow up.

19. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You must have low expectations in life.

20. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Wow. I thought New Yorkers were supposed to be thick skinned.

I just like dealing with reality. Never did like to drink the koolaid.

You set reasonable goals, meet them and then turn around and set some new ones.

21. austinwetherby

austinwetherby New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the usl deserves one spot, gving the MLS jokes that play in this tourny who dont care at all,

22. Jaydawgg22

Jaydawgg22 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Astoria Queens NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    plus with no promotion and relegation then the lower league teams have no chance to play in continental competition, and since the USSF needs to cooperate with both the MLS and the USL then its only fair that the US open Cup the USSF's only real competition gets a spot. Plus if USSF wants the open cup to ever matter then they better keep it like it is.

23. Jaydawgg22

Jaydawgg22 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Astoria Queens NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but it still think the FCNY guys are getting alittle ahead of themselves, thinking they can get there in 5 years. if a certain Freddy Wilpon does what he can do FCNY might not need or be able to exsist in 2 years time...

24. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I can see the origin for the badge and all, I just wish they'd named it something besides FC New York. That's like going to the grocery store, and selecting a box that just says "Food" on it. New York deserves much better.

Sad thing is, if NYC fans pan the team out of the gate, it will fold in a couple of years (granted, though, they probably should be playing at Icahn or Columbia, or maybe even St. John's), and if Wilpon is as financially damaged as it looks, NYC2 in MLS may never happen.

So get out and support this team, dangit!!!! At least you'll have a team to support. And if the Eff-Sees win and the Red Bulls continue to suck, you might outdraw them!

25. HoosierToon

HoosierToon New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Hoboken
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont' know where I've been, but I just learned about FC New York today during my daily soccer browsing at work.

I'm pumped.......to say the least! I've been watching a lot of USL games on their website trying to catch on with a club, but this pretty much solves that issue!

Can't wait for that first Fridy night FSC Match!