I've HAD IT with DC fan violence

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by lfcli30, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair travelling support from Chicago, Columbus and New England have complained and been victims before.

2. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy and I have had our disagreements, but I'm with him on this. If only to have the jerk spend a night in the DC jail. You wanta talk about scary.

I'm a member of the SE and have been for years, along with my then pre-teen and now teenage son. Some arsehole who resorts to throwing dangerous fireworks at any human being is beyond the pale. NO ONE in the SE's, Barra, or La Norte will seriously stand up and defend that.

But we are sick to death of people expanding random acts by arseholes we do not know, and who are not part of our supporters groups, into a charge that we incite or accept violence.

Why don't you concentrate on developing some real fans to go along with the 20 odd members of the ESC.

3. dcsundevil2002

Apr 20, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just haven't seen them, which is mainly why I was asking.

4. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After 10+ years of nothing...The dead-bulls fans are only good at post match drama. They are known for pointing fingers at the Barra..LN and the Beagles for christ sake....and they always end up with a foot in their mouths.

~worm~

5. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah, but we also knew that is was random jackasses, not someone from Barra, the Eagles or La Norte. Random jackassery is something nobody can stop. The only thing you can do is catch the guy, but if he's gone, he's gone, and calling out every supporter's section (400 people in a 10,000 crowd) is not where you're going to find that guy.

6. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    thank you

7. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, but I didn't want us to be accused of glossing over the fact that we seem to have a lot of random jackasses. As someone who has seen only one act of violence in 11 years of DC games, I have heard reports of many more. I hate the fact that we in the SC's always seem to get called to the carpet for actions of fans who are not associated with us.

The only violence I saw was the aftermath of Salvadoran fan rage which left several fans bloody outside by the TV trucks.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The problem I've been seeing is that there always seems to be a random jackass at RFK Stadium when DC, Chicago, or NE fans show up.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Agreed.

Soccer has a bad rap - well deserved in many minds - as a haven for organized violence and mayhem. If we want soccer to grow in the U.S. to where we're packing stadiums for every game, the organized supporters groups need to take the lead in both advocating and stamping out any vestiges of this kind of behavior.

Singing, banners, flag waiving, confetti, and - where allowed - smoke bombs are great things that really make the experience what it is.

But the dark side of punks, drunks, and hooliganism that has attached itself to the international game means that even "random" acts like this one will hurt the public perception of both supporters groups and the safety of going to a game. None of us really want that.

10. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Find me one place in this country where you wouldn't run into a random jackass.

They're everywhere.

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen random jackasses at RFK for every MLS team I can think of, past and present. I've also seen random jackasses at Fedex Field for every Redskins game I've ever been to there.

The thing that really pisses me off about this thread is the opening post, which stated that:

"Which means, that there are multiple people either in the Barra, SE or LN who are collaberating and doing this to travelling Metro fans."

Being a member of both the Barra Brava and the Screaming Eagles, and having many friends who are members of La Norte, I view that statement as a totally baseless and unfounded accusation.

Yes, there are issues at RFK that need to be addressed. I'm just sick and tired of reading posts from Red Bull fans that the supporters groups are somehow behind these incidents.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sure, but there always seems to be an incident against the travelling supporters at RFK from those teams.

I can't say the reverse is true.

The problem with fans of the visiting team being harassed or attacked is more consistent and worse at RFK than anywhere else in the league.

You don't have to like it, I certainly don't like it - but as someone who covers the league and travels extensively around the league, I believe it to be true.

Five or six years ago, I would've pointed at old Soldier Field as being the most dangerous place to travel to as a visiting fan. Over the last couple of years, it's been RFK Stadium.

13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem acknowledging the fact that there are violent incidents at RFK. I think security there sucks.

However, those incidents are not connected to any of the three main supporters groups.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    WE GET IT.

Yes, and you've made that point in each and every freakin' post.

Pretty much everybody here acknowledges that the thread starter is a hysterical idiot.

15. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's "WE?" Got a mouse in your pocket?

There are a few posts in this thread, not made by the thread starter, that seem to imply that DC United supporters organize violent acts against opposition fans.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    :rolleyes:

17. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparenty our random jackasses are equal-opportunity random jackasses. Some of them wear yellow windbreakers.

Welcome to the big city.

18. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

Get out of your darkroom...and smell the freash air...RFK a dangerous place??

well maybe the hotdogs..

~worm~

19. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Mr. Mead,

While your photos demonstrate a keen eye, your post here demonstrates poor judgement. The author of the original post is neither hysterical or an idiot. He is merely someone annoyed at the continued propagation of hooliganism at RFK.

Two away games have been attended by traveling RBNY fans. Both games end with excessive shows of violence by individuals in the home crowd.

A DC United supporter posted here that they go to nearly all of the games and have only seen violence once. Seriously? Is this possible. I was at one game this year in DC and saw violence.

At the first game of this season, RBNY fans were parked off in a special location and DC United fans went there and started trouble. At the first game DC played against RBNY in New Jersey, DC United fans came and parked their car in the same lot, not 5-spots away, from where the ESC tailgates. Nobody in DC was attacked. Their BBQ went on without incident, unless you count the "violent" act of "DC Sucks!" chants. Why are the results different?

When RBNY fans go to a game in DC, M-80's are lobbed at women, cars and general fans. When DC fans come to a game in Jersey, they drive out without a worry.

So, it is claimed that the supporters clubs don't tolerate this. Then why at the first game were people from Barra Brava trying to get into the stands where the ESC was?

When DC United fans learn that the "random assholes" are their responsibility maybe then they won't be blamed for the "random violence" that follows the games.

With robustious,
    P

20. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What a load of shit!

~worm~

Ok now the Dead-Bulls drama has added m-80s at cars and other folks??? Here we all thought it was one firecracker now is 10-20 hand gernades..:eek:

21. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Really now.

22. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I once flew my spaceship to Mars, but it was dry and cold.
    I came back.

23. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just going through this thread to get links to the posts that seemed to agree, at least on some level, that the supporters groups are behind any violence, and then this beauty of a reply shows up?

Wow, what a load of unmitigated crap. We have had problems leaving the Meadowlands. Last year, one member of our group was beaten up by Meadowlands stadium security as he was leaving the stadium. The first road game we had up there this season was a nightmare due to the fact that the security thugs surrounded our sections and treated every one of us like we were some kind of criminals. And of course there was the incident many years ago when Metro fans decided to attack the Screaming Eagles bus as it was leaving the parking lot post game.

It is NOT our responsibilty to police groups of fans who come to RFK. Period.

Do you see what I was talking about now, Andy?

Oh, and for what it's worth, here are the URLs of the posts I found that seem to agree that the thread starter had a valid point.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9399628&postcount=18
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9400120&postcount=35
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9400281&postcount=38
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9400386&postcount=42
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9401639&postcount=57
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9401875&postcount=61
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9402084&postcount=64
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9404771&postcount=97
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9407591&postcount=110
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9408407&postcount=115
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9409231&postcount=118
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9409564&postcount=123

Can we please close this thread already?

24. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are these the same metro fans that got beat up by a skinhead with deformed arms and a man holding a baby?

25. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I once took a sip of soda at an airshow in Augsburg Germany when I was 5 and a spider crawled out of the can and onto my cheek.
    I've hated those things ever since.

Spiders, not airshows.