I've HAD IT with DC fan violence

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by lfcli30, Aug 24, 2006.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because perhaps one of them had been in contact with Stephen Zack about the incident.

(Duh.)

2. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that must be it. I'm sure saying "I'm just wondering why that dude got "lucky" and wasn't arrested?" is in no way insuating that the "perp" got away with it or anything like that.

3. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'll try:
    Because it was a minor misdemeanor. What would you have him charged with?

If somebody had been hurt that person could have rightly charged assault, but as I understand it the police could have charged him with disorderly conduct...I don't know the fire cracker laws in DC, but if they are illegal then that's another misdemeanor charge. These would have to have confession,witness, or video to stand up in court. Routine junk handled hurriedly, dropped or fined, in and out. A stadium ban seems the logical and least expensive course of action. So this Red Bull fan confesses to his priest that he's been having inpure thoughts about his sister. "Is that a sin?" he asks. The priest answers,"Yes it's a sin, and real shame too...just look at the cute little brother you have!" Sorry, guess I strayed there a bit.

4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    ElJefe was quoting what S.Zach wrote. "lucky" was in the post from the F.O. rep.

i actually think more explanation is warranted here.

obviously, no one here is able to provide insight as to why no arrest was made.

Es Brennt did just provide some possible insight, but it appears to be mostly conjecture (possibly accurate), but yet most likely distant from the incident.

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not.

It's quoting Mr. Zack, who himself said that the perp was lucky that he wasn't arrested.

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now this is a good response and makes sense, even if it is speculative.

7. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hence my reason for suggesting that you ask Zack directly. Personally, I don't care why the guy wasn't arrested. I'm just happy that the guy has been banned from future games, which seems like adequate punishment to me.

I would be interested to see if lfcli30 ever comes back to this thread to apologize for his baseless accusation that members of La Norte, the Screaming Eagles or Barra Brava were "collaberating" in attacks on travelling "Metro" fans.

8. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this thread should be renamed: "I'm so fed up with my team sucking, I need to go on a rant!"

9. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    hey that was the best part :D

10. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm ecstatic! Excellent job by the DC security and FO. The guy I dealt with (Jason) did an excellent job, and kudos to security for nabbing the asshole. He was trying to lob something at my car as I left the parking lot as well, I saw security rush over to him and nothing else. I'm very pleased that he's been caught.

13. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    FYP.

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best post fix ever.

;)

15. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Unfourtanely, as MLS starts to grow and more fans turn into passionate and hardcore. This is the type of actions we are going to start seeing not only in DC but in all MLS. Currently the rivalry between the Galaxy and Chivas has turned into a game where many fans are starting to care about the results and most importantly the famous "bragging rights."
    I used to take my wife to the Classico both of us wearing Galaxy jerseys but since more and more fans are starting to act disrespectful and rude, she no longer want to go. I guess that my point here is that, we all want the games to have a meaning, passion, hatred etc.. and now that its starting to happen! we dont want accept it. Dont you think people dont fight or talk smack when the Yankess play the Red Soxs, Lakers vs Kings, Galaxy vs Chivas and any vistor attending a Raider game. My advice is for people that are not used to entering a zone with very aggresive fans just plain and simple dont go to the game and watch it from home. There is violence in all sports but it cannot stop us from seeing our favorite teams play. Just my opinion.

16. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen, I'm from New York, I'm a Jets fan, I was at the game vs. Miami last year where the entire upper deck was a brawl. I'm in the ESC for a reason, I'm a hardcore fan. There's a HUGE difference between a fight and an M-80. Fights..I can deal with. I'm used to it. I go to Islanders/Rangers games, I go to Mets/Yankees games, I'm hardly sheltered by anyones imagination. The only reason I posted this, is because when you start getting things like explosives involved, that's when it starts to go to the next level.

Fighting in the stands happens everywhere. Throwing m80's at other people does not. Plain and simple. I have zero problem with the barra, zero problem with LN and zero problem with the eagles, especially considering two members went out of their way to say hello and to be hospitable. The main gist of this thread was not to attack, but to call on all supporters groups to help end these problems before they get any worse. If it came off as an attack, I apologize. Since it's the supporters groups who are there every game, they may know who's doing it. That's what I meant to post..last night I was quite tired, drained, and ticked both for losing, and for having another incident to deal with.

But back on point, it's gotta stop. It has to. It's a black mark on the league...you've already had two examples in this thread alone where the threat of violence has kept people away from the stadium. Smoke bombs, flares, flags, confetti, taunts, singing..I'm all for that. When you hit the point when you start hurling things that explode at other fans..that's where I draw the line.

A fight I can deal with, an explosive I can't.

17. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    the point is why the ******** you telling us this, we can't do shit about random people that dislike you. When we saw Barra guy at your section we went to get him back (unnecessary cos he was talkin to his (scumy :D) friend there.

Dude runs up and throws a firecracker at 20 of you just roll over him and he probably won't do it again or hold him for cops or something :)

18. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Actually, just as a point of clarification, hurting someone is battery... throwing something (including words) that are threatening and have potential to injure is assault (whether or not there is any injury or even contact)... anyone throwing an M80 into a group of people, regardless of whether anyone was hurt or not, could be charged with assault... there are degrees of assault, some of which are misdemeanors and some of which are felonies... there is significant judgement involved...

rand

19. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm like a steel trap - nothing escapes. :D

Actually, as soon as it turned into another skinhead thread my eyes glazed over. ;)

20. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You know, I think you need your leg, BROKEN. Seriously....

21. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    an m-80?!:rolleyes:
    does this dude have a toilet on his front yard as decoration as well?:D

22. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    There are many on this thread (go back and read the posts by jade1mls, FiveStars, leg_breaker, slimjim2159) who are basically saying that it is just part of being a hard core fan or is not really important or serious... I have no way to know whether they are members of any of your supporters groups, but they are definitely apologists for inappropriate behavior... my post said that this reflects on your supporters groups, not that you were involved (and, incidentally, this reflects precisely because you are so visible and such an important part of your club)... the only way that it won't reflect poorly is if your groups are seen to be actively and publicly resisting and condemning this behavior in what is (and should be) your house... confrontations between DC supporters (notice, I didn't say members of the supporters groups) and traveling supporters have occurred far too often (and appear to be an ongoing issue)...

btw, I am very glad that your FO caught the guy and did the right thing... I must say, after one very bad experience as a traveling supporter at RFK, the last time I was there we were treated better... as a supporter of the league (as well as of my team) I want to see the obvious passion that your supporters groups have for your club become a standard for all of US soccer... maybe you guys are just the first to confront a problem that all supporters groups will one day have to address...

rand

23. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to love the Dead-bull drama!

~worm~

24. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Carefull Worm, that statement is borderline harassment. As a member of the Barra, it could be construed that you condone hooliganism. ;)

25. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    hooliganism should not be used as a word around these parts, brothers...

we're not there yet:rolleyes: