I've been booted from my banner painting space :(

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by gocaps, Aug 25, 2006.

1. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Folks, I think we all had some pretty grand designs for the banners "welcoming" a certain Galaxative who underperformed in the World Cup to RFK this weekend. I know you guys will pitch in with your own, but my plans have had to be truncated a bit.

I've been painting all the banners in a cordoned off construction area of the top floor of the parking lot in my building, which is a condo building that I rent in. Tonight, very early on in my painting, a security guard came by and told me that some guy on the condo board was watching me from his balcony and was "up in his ass" about getting me to stop. So I've now been banned from painting here. Knowing the board here it was probably some guy with a super-tight Depends wedgie - who the hell cares about banner painting, for Christ sake? - but being that I rent and not own I don't have much say in the process.

I had already painted two Landon banners on previous nights, and I managed to finish Victory's MasterCard homage on the lam, albeit in truncated form (I cut the unfinished banner into five pieces and moved each piece into a hidden spot where I could paint a few words). But I have some other ideas - notably a banner for Kevin Hartman - that I might not be able to do.

I'll find another spot for future matches - my parents' driveway seems appealing :) But, for this week, I might not be able to cover the upper deck as I had hoped. Sorry guys.

2. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Should you have the means to do one for Kevin Hartman...

"Huck Fartman."

I'm just saying...

3. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 New Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well damn. Who would've thought that Brad Feldman's uncle lived in your building?

4. dcuvabeach

dcuvabeach New Member

May 9, 2002
    CSC REALLY is everywhere, aren't they?!

GoCaps, Just another example of the man trying to keep you down!

5. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, that must really be uncomfortable. :D

6. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would folks be willing to coming a few hrs early to help knock out a few at RFK lot 8? They dry pretty quickly but they do need to dry a bit and we would need to be cleaned up at least by 4 to go in and hang up. If people are willing I can make some calls to DCU know we will be coming (it shouldn't be a problem, I'm sure someone will be there who can "chaperone").

K

7. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I hate it when the man truncates your weasel!!!

:mad:

I am intrigued by the prospect of showing up early to make a Whinovan sign...

Hmmm.

8. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    These were my thoughts exactly. As always, I'm in. Banner painting is always a fantastic time.

BTW - for those of us driving, could you ask them to make clear where we come in from? Last time we were told a place (on game day) and when I got there the "guard" hassled me before I finally bribed him with $5 to let me in. This was last year at play off's but still...

9. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    A couple of us with stadium passes - OK, it's myself and KGDG - will be showing up early (as in like 1 PM) to paint the last couple of signs. The paint usually takes around 90 minutes to dry, and we want to get the banners up early enough that we can come back out and tailgate.

It can be hard to get into the lots early without a pass, but there's usually parking on nearby streets at that point in the day. And sometimes you can get the guard in Lot 5 to let you in and hook around into Lot 8 under the bridge from there.

10. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8

I am totally in for meeting you guys around 1:00 pm

11. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Just know that that's all relative. I'm going to be out late tonight so that may push itself to 2 :) Call my cell to check in on it.

12. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, we're meeting up at 1 pm today in lot 8 for painting (sorry for the short notice). If you're driving try to enter at the Media entrance off Independence St, SE. You might want to bring another shirt in case of paint/dirt from painting (I'll bring some paper towels/wipes for clean up).

K